• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will You?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even with the current rules places are getting hit and having to shut down dues to lack of staff.

There is the risk that rather than open more of the economy it starts to shut down more unless we abandon isolation for positive cases as well.

a lot of sectors that employ the school leavers into their early 20's are wide open to becoming hotbeds as there are higher proportion of asymptomatic carriers.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Politics or blame shifting or a distraction because there will be little relaxation of overseas travel restrictions soon??

The reason the Delta variant is so well seeded is because the government failed to place India on the Red List quickly enough. Some countries have placed UK on a Black List and insist UK citizens quarantine.

Interesting to note that Israel, the world leader in vaccinations, has just reimposed their mask rules. I wonder what they know??

Ryanair have stated their mask rules will remain.

Annie

And I've yet to hear this government admit responsibility for this. All we hear is flim flam and bluster. Not good enough!

Comment

Hindsight is a marvellous weapon with which to beat the present and although I am one who has advocated closed borders, we are not a compliant population and I can only imagine the almost anarchy which would have ensued if borders to the UK had been shut.

Comment

Hindsight or following the figures?India should have been closed off the same time as Pakistan was ,Delta variant there's a clue in the title..

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
            Hindsight or following the figures?India should have been closed off the same time as Pakistan was ,Delta variant there's a clue in the title..
            The definition of hindsight is understanding a situation after it has happened. Following figures requires understanding, Misunderstanding or ignoring, hind sight says it would have been better if borders had been closed, hence my use of the word, hindsight annd yes, it's a great weapon to beat the present.
            Oh that the world should be perfect. It isn't and never will be.
            Last edited by Mrs M; 5th July 2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

The Delta Variant was worldwide before even Pakistan was closed off.
              Unless you close the borders completely to travel and make them goods only it would still get in as in Australia.

Garf

Comment

Delta variant was first identified in USA in December 2020 having been previously identified in India in October 2020.

The UK placed Pakistan and Bangladesh on the Red list on 9th April and India, the home of the variant, 2 weeks later.

I just wish the world and especially the UK was a bit more proactive.

A consequence of the lack of proactive action is that the UK has been placed on a Black List by some countries and Hong Kong won't even allow planes from the U.K. To land.

Annie

PS I can't wait until I can have a bonfire of my disposable masks.
                Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 5th July 2021, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                  I will in crowded locations, e.g. a busy shop, but probably won't where there is no risk of close contact. I really don't like wearing masks, especially in warm weather, but a little common sense is needed I think.
                  Agree, this will be my strategy too

Comment

We couldn't keep the Alpha (very likely home grown ) varient under control.

you can't keep them out

It's been a free for all in Ibiza supposed to be green.

Comment

I'm aware of the definition of hindsight.I was merely pointing out that its not merely the benefit of hindsight in this case.If it made sense to close the flights to Pakistan it made sense to close it to India.Nothing to do with hindsight.The fact that the variant is elsewhere is an issue, but infection rates differ as do infections. The crisis in India was and is pretty much the worst everywhere.

Comment

I'm aware of the definition of hindsight.I was merely pointing out that its not merely the benefit of hindsight in this case.If it made sense to close the flights to Pakistan it made sense to close it to India.Nothing to do with hindsight.The fact that the variant is elsewhere is an issue, but infection rates differ as do infections. The crisis in India was and is pretty much the worst everywhere.
                        Of course it made sense and in hindsight, I'm sure those who avoided that decision might agree. Whatever the decision, hindsight is very useful for beating those who lacked the foresight, up

Comment

I will continue to wear a mask in shops and crowded locations. I saw a friend today who works in the garden centre I worked in. She said customers are already taking their masks off when they go to the outside areas (plants) and standing really close when asking for advice or paying for purchases and getting quite nasty when asked to keep their distance. It's not fair on shop staff and other public facing personnel. How difficult can it be to wear a mask to keep the people serving you safe?

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
                            I will continue to wear a mask in shops and crowded locations. I saw a friend today who works in the garden centre I worked in. She said customers are already taking their masks off when they go to the outside areas (plants) and standing really close when asking for advice or paying for purchases and getting quite nasty when asked to keep their distance. It's not fair on shop staff and other public facing personnel. How difficult can it be to wear a mask to keep the people serving you safe?

Barb
                            I feel for anyone involved in face to face interaction with 'the public'.

I help in a coffee shop and I get antsy when folk come up close, to pay, especially the odd few who are maskless. We're not allowed to question the lack of masks and quite frankly, it will make me think twice of volunteering in such close proximity to more than the odd maskless person.
                            That's for a couple of hours a week. Think of those who have to do this for a full working day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Of course it made sense and in hindsight, I'm sure those who avoided that decision might agree. Whatever the decision, hindsight is very useful for beating those who lacked the foresight, up
                              There was no lack of foresight, they knew exactly what they were doing. We were not negotiating a trade deal with Pakistan

Comment

I’m pretty sure we will be required to wear our masks at work regardless of the pronouncements from the government. We have our Perspex screens up and yes, it can make hearing what some of the patients say nearly impossible when we are wearing masks, but we know we have to keep the patients safe as well as ourselves. I do have to take my mask off behind my screen sometimes in order to help someone who can’t understand me without lip reading. I also have to take my mask off when doing my screening calls if I know the patients I am ringing are elderly or possibly hard of hearing. Thankfully most of our patients are fully vaccinated as are we.

As I said in another post, we will continue to wear our masks on public transport and in supermarkets and crowded places.

Take care. Helen

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X