• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Cases Matter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Cases Matter

Hi Everyone

Do you think it's time to stop worrying about case numbers, and just start worrying if the hospital rates or deaths start going up?

UK cases are far higher than our European friends, and yet our vaccine rate exceeds theirs!

I have a friend who has tested positive, even though she has had both her jabs, she said she feels like she just has a summer cold. but her husband has had to take time off work to self isolate, although he is fine.
    She thinks she got it from her grandchildren, who have tested positive, although none of them are ill, but it has resulted in all 4 of their class rooms also having to be off!

What do you think? Time to get on with life? .................................................C arol

I am with you Carol, I thought that this was the point of the vaccine... I am sure they said it wasnt numbers that are important it is hospital admissions and deaths.... surely they arent going to wait till its zero cases cos that will never happen, we have to live with it, the same as colds, flu etc etc numbers will never go down while polititians keep opening flight paths and inviting half the world to cornwall for a bar-b-q. I think they never realised that people would do as they were told for as long as they wanted them too and now the power has gone to their heads and they dont know how to come out of it now...... JMO hugs heather x

Comment

Over 3,300 cases today in Scotland but hospital admissions and deaths are down (thankfully) it’s time to try and move on. It was great to watch the football from Budapest with 65,000 fans in attendance - great atmosphere. Our time will come 🤞

Comment

Do 'cases' which is actually the number of positive test results matter - of course they do.

They are an indicator of how much community transmission there is. The higher the level of community transmission increases the probability of further variants. The transmission of the delta variant is quicker. However it is NOT the only criteria the government uses to decide on restriction lifting.

If other countries want to impose quarantine on us - their choice and they are buying time to vaccinate more of their population - good decision. The U.K. should have imposed tighter border controls - JMO.

JMO, people have to wake up to the probable reality that the pre-pandemic lifestyle we enjoyed has gone. A measure of mask wearing and social restrictions are here to stay and will probably last through 2022.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
          Hi Everyone

Do you think it's time to stop worrying about case numbers, and just start worrying if the hospital rates or deaths start going up?

UK cases are far higher than our European friends, and yet our vaccine rate exceeds theirs!

I have a friend who has tested positive, even though she has had both her jabs, she said she feels like she just has a summer cold. but her husband has had to take time off work to self isolate, although he is fine.
          She thinks she got it from her grandchildren, who have tested positive, although none of them are ill, but it has resulted in all 4 of their class rooms also having to be off!

What do you think? Time to get on with life? .................................................C arol

Cases are very important they are the leading indicator.

if there is an vaccine escape we are stuffed if we dont keep on top of cases.

shame schools/youngsters have let their guard down good job school holidays are starting.

The evidence is mounting that vaccinated are ok for now which was a good reason to delay freedom day to get the 18+ sorted as that group are another primary transmission group.

Still need more evidence vaccinated don't spread.

People can get on with their lives(we have) just keep away from the carrier's.

Comment

Time to ditch the twice a week testing. They are just as likely to detect some of the coronaviruses that cause the common cold.
            There is no scientific evidence that facemasks do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
              Do 'cases' which is actually the number of positive test results matter - of course they do.

They are an indicator of how much community transmission there is. The higher the level of community transmission increases the probability of further variants. The transmission of the delta variant is quicker. However it is NOT the only criteria the government uses to decide on restriction lifting.

If other countries want to impose quarantine on us - their choice and they are buying time to vaccinate more of their population - good decision. The U.K. should have imposed tighter border controls - JMO.

JMO, people have to wake up to the probable reality that the pre-pandemic lifestyle we enjoyed has gone. A measure of mask wearing and social restrictions are here to stay and will probably last through 2022.

Annie
              Spot on Annie.

Just a few short weeks ago our area and all the area to the north and east were ‘white’ ,signifying a very low case count. Today, the upper half of the UK is now blue or navy’ , showing a very rapid hike in case numbers. All this can’t be ignored.

And it was all so avoidable.......

1CDE8FF9-B0E6-4C27-A6CF-29EC345BBFFD.png
              Attached Files

Comment

Case numbers rising exponentially cannot be ignored. Death rates up by 65% on previous week with 122 dying last week and we are talking about no more restrictions in 3 weeks?

High case numbers mean possibility of more long Covid for long term healthcare on NHS and more chances for variants of concern, which could escape vaccine. I am not of the opinion we are in a position to have a free for all just yet.

The new health secretary is a business man, over health. Not sure he is right to consider opening up when there have apparently been a rise from 2000 cases per day to 22,000 cases per day (today) in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post
                  Case numbers rising exponentially cannot be ignored. Death rates up by 65% on previous week with 122 dying last week and we are talking about no more restrictions in 3 weeks?

High case numbers mean possibility of more long Covid for long term healthcare on NHS and more chances for variants of concern, which could escape vaccine. I am not of the opinion we are in a position to have a free for all just yet.

The new health secretary is a business man, over health. Not sure he is right to consider opening up when there have apparently been a rise from 2000 cases per day to 22,000 cases per day (today) in a couple of weeks.
                  But there were only 3 deaths and 19 people went into hospital, the numbers are tiny in comparison to the case numbers, which must mean the vaccine is doing something. (Hopefully) ................................................Ca rol

Comment

Not sure I'm comfortable with no restrictions in 3 weeks. We have been eating out locally and on holiday over the last 3 weeks or so knowing that restrictions are being observed and feel comfortable with it, but not sure if we'll do the same when all restrictions are lifted. Just a personal thing obviously and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but when there is no social distancing at all in pubs and restaurants, they won't be getting our custom (for what it's worth )

Barb

Comment

Our hospital had only 8 inpatient covid cases mid June, this last week 15. Not many when you consider how many beds we have but what if that doubles this week to 30? Then 60 the following week and so on and so on ?

It's not just covid that's putting strains on the NHS , and I don't think I've seen our ED so busy as it is now for ages. Constant streams of ambulances arriving all day today

I'm happy to keep on testing twice a week to protect my colleagues and family . Wearing a face mask is a pain but I will carry on wearing it. I don't think we will ever go back to the way it was before but I do think vaccines are very worth while and keep social distancing and self testing.
                      BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

Originally posted by Bigsis, Waterlooville View Post
                        Our hospital had only 8 inpatient covid cases mid June, this last week 15. Not many when you consider how many beds we have but what if that doubles this week to 30? Then 60 the following week and so on and so on ?

It's not just covid that's putting strains on the NHS , and I don't think I've seen our ED so busy as it is now for ages. Constant streams of ambulances arriving all day today

I'm happy to keep on testing twice a week to protect my colleagues and family . Wearing a face mask is a pain but I will carry on wearing it. I don't think we will ever go back to the way it was before but I do think vaccines are very worth while and keep social distancing and self testing.
                        I am with you generally. Vaccines don't stop you getting covid, they just stop you getting sick. You can still pass it on to others. At least that is what we are told over here. Masks need to be worn in public places where close contact cannot be avoided and I think this will continue for the foreseeable future.
                        In Ontario we have 75% with one shot and 37% fully vaccinated of people 12 years of age and older, but we still require masks and are only partially open. Schools are closed until September and shops are only at 15%. We still don't have indoor dining and hair dressers etc won't open until June 30.

Sheila

Comment

The issue is those early rises were not kept under control, our area had surge testing as soon as the first delta cases were identified and for now we are still under control hovering around 20-30/100k.

My wider area of interest is North of London from the M40 round to the M11, Bedford seems have been got under control and did not spread too far, Luton has a couple of pockets that need watching, Hitchin has had a major outbreak.

Areas around Harpendon need watching significant rises

loads of areas have been creeping up.

The north and Scotland are a mess, even Cornwall that was doing well has significant pockets(could be tourists driving local cases).

Open the economy but keep the social measures for now till it is clear.

If the plan to drop school isolations goes ahead everything else needs to be kept in place for 5 weeks into the summer holidays.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Hi all
                            I always think of the Safety Triangle we used in H&S meetings in work,,,,I believe you could apply it to Covid case rises.
                            As cases rise at the bottom of the triangle,fatality numbers will rise at the top of the triangle.

6BD12AB1-4893-4B5A-BE74-C4DB31FB2705.jpeg
                            JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Of course they’re going to be more positive cases as we’re out and about more now but as long as they do not need to be hospitalised means that the vaccine is working. The largest amount of covid positive people are the younger age group that hasn’t been fully vaccinated yet. We need to get back to some sore of normality but do it slower by continuing to wear masks and use hand gels.
                              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X