• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Act of Kindness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Act of Kindness

Hi All

I entered a physical shop for the 1st time yesterday since Dec 23rd

I was approached by a sranger who offered to pay for my shopping as a random act of kindness. I declined politely and suggested he make his kind offer to a more deserving person/cause. Long story short - a local food bank benefited.

Has this happened to you??

Annie

No but it is heartwarming .Too much coverage of the bad in some, rather than the good in many, IMHO.

Comment

I don't think random acts of kindness are essential journeys.

Maybe you have nailed the homeless look

Comment

As someone who thinks that if something seems too good to be true it probably is, my first thought would have been 'what's he up to'?
        Logic will get you from A to B.
        Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Well done to both of you. Him for the offer, and you for turning down the offer which you didn't need.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
            I don't think random acts of kindness are essential journeys.

Maybe you have nailed the homeless look
            Gorbals chic?

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker, Royal Wootton Bassett View Post
              As someone who thinks that if something seems too good to be true it probably is, my first thought would have been 'what's he up to'?
              It’s not that uncommon tbh. YouTube is full of similar scenarios. Random acts of kindness is “trending” nowadays. This is categorised as a “random act of kindness” but it takes it to a completely new level ......🥲🥲🥲 alert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt8SUcWTzT0

Comment

I'd have been the same Such a shame that in this day and age that you have to question everything ..........................................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                  Hi All

I entered a physical shop for the 1st time yesterday since Dec 23rd

I was approached by a sranger who offered to pay for my shopping as a random act of kindness. I declined politely and suggested he make his kind offer to a more deserving person/cause. Long story short - a local food bank benefited.

Has this happened to you??

Annie
                  Hi Annie....I get more pleasure from giving than receiving..I know ,I know I got to know the Big Issue seller who used to stand outside M &S in Doncaster....I tend to think "There but for the grace of God etc.". When I first chatted with him he was sleeping in a tent in a churchyard and someone made him homeless by setting his tent on fire in the night when he slept! He was an alcoholic and eventually got a flat. He offered a fellow homeles see shelter and charged him a tenner a week .Shortly afterwards when my friend was attending hospital.he returned to his flat to find his lodger gone together with anything that was portable including all my friends clothes. I furnished my new friend with some shirts/trousers/etc. from my very extensive wardrobe(s) ( I was married to a clothes aholic for several years).
                  My friend needed a microwave/table/chairs,which we collected for him and as I arranged to deliver while he was out selling Big Issues, he told me that his new lodger ",Scouser" On bail from Liverpool, would be in to receive the delivery. He was really interesting,and recovering from heroin addiction.
                  (His back story was very moving as it included him nursing his girl friend back to health from cancer for two years,whereupon she left him...heartbroken) .The two of them helped each other to deal with their problems , and I noticed my friend gaining weight and looking better.Anyway to cut a story short ,my friend gained a live in girlfriend,who brought him joy. Unfortunately some months later ,she departed and weeks later my friend died in his flat . I only became aware of this tragedy when I was belatedly informed of a service of remembrance taking place a week previous outside M&S in Doncaster .He was only 42 years old RIP Willie..My privilege to have known him..
                  Last edited by cruisewidower, pontefract; 22nd January 2021, 03:46 PM.

Comment

If you lived in Scotland that wouldn’t be your first thought as we’re a very generous nation............well except for Aberdonians!
                    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

What a lovely act of kindness Annie I know you gave the shopping to a food bank but receiving an random act of kindness means that you must/should do similar with someone else.
                      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Random acts of kindness are heartwarming. It’s nice that your response means that some other families will be fed. We can all do little things to help others in these hard times.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

Hi all
                          From the town next door...St Helens.

D1D2177C-DD9D-40C6-B0A5-2A1FCF56BE3A.jpeg
                          JC
                          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                            Hi all
                            From the town next door...St Helens.

D1D2177C-DD9D-40C6-B0A5-2A1FCF56BE3A.jpeg
                            JC
                            Free Uber taxi rides up to £15 - to or from UK vaccine hubs (using code) @ Uber - hotukdeals

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

If you lived in Scotland that wouldn’t be your first thought as we’re a very generous nation............well except for Aberdonians!
                              No need to have lived in Scotland. With a Glaswegian mother and many of her large family living in the same street in Luton when I was growing up I became extremely familiar with the Scottish psyche. As for Aberdonians, I was amused to see a recent correspondent in our local paper describe nearby Swindon's town centre during lockdown as being like a flag day in Aberdeen, a gibe that would have gone over the heads of much of the local population.
                              Logic will get you from A to B.
                              Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X