• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matthew Porterfield....................Influencer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matthew Porterfield....................Influencer

I'm sure we are all aware of the current phenomenon of 'Influencers' on the internet.

A place where for a fleeting moment some make fortunes for capturing the Zeitgeist of the day on the Web.

And some of you may even be able to name some of these influencers - but not me. I'm also confident that none of you will have heard of Matthew Porterfield - who influenced me.

Let me take you back to a pre-internet (dark ages) era.

I was in Primary School - probably 8 or 9 years of age.

Our teacher asked us all to stand and then sit down when we felt we had reached a minute.

Well eventually one brave soul sat down before all the others and within quick succession there was an avalanche of children sitting down - apart from one - Matthew Porterfield.

For what seemed an age he stood stock still for what seemed at least double the time of everyone else.

We were amazed and started to tease (short of ridicule) him. Matthew was relatively new to the school (and English to boot) and so had little opportunity to make friends yet. Although I'm glad to say we did become friends until our ways parted when we went to High School.

You guessed it - he sat down almost precisely at 1 minute.

His secret? To count thus - one Elephant, 2 Elephants, 3 Elephants and so on....

To this day that is how I time the seconds - not for me singing happy Birthday when washing hands - I count Elephants............

Who and what was you influencer...........humble or otherwise.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

I guess my influencers were two friends, Isobel and Helen, whom I met at my Saturday job in Robert Stores sport shop (only Glaswegians will know this independent family owned shop), when I was 15. After 2 years They both applied to start their nurse training and while waiting for their course to start both were offered an Auxiliary nurse post. They used to tell me about all the amazing patients they had nursed. This influenced me to apply to become an Auxiliary nurse but little did I know that the person they had me write to was the director of nursing who invited me for an interview but not for the auxiliary post but to start my training. I commenced my training with my two friends in 1973 and worked in the NHS originally till in 2019 but went back last year, but I’ve now definitely retired after 47 years doing a job I loved. I originally wanted to be a teacher or a bookkeeper but looking back I don’t think those jobs would have right for me or gave me the satisfaction that nursing gave me.
    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

My tutor from my teacher training course, who helped and encouraged me through a big career change.

That led to my teaching refugees and asylum seekers... wonderful students who taught me as much as I taught them.

Comment

My second Spanish teacher in high school had to be one of my biggest influences. She was fresh out of university so was only about 9 years older than we were . The school year was divided up into five 7-week cycles as it was an experimental school. She made me realise that I had a good ear for languages and a love for them that hasn’t left me. Even though I didn’t go into teaching I still get to use my language skills frequently with the patients where I work or on our holidays abroad. Eileen and I still keep in touch at Christmas which is really lovely.

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

Probably my parents. They had very little, but their attitude always was that if you haven't the money to pay for something you do without it. Consequently, I've never been in debt and have never failed to pay a bill because I have always ensured I had enough for the essentials. Granted I've been lucky in that I have never been unemployed, but plenty of well paid people seem to get into financial difficulty through over stretching themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
            Probably my parents. They had very little, but their attitude always was that if you haven't the money to pay for something you do without it. Consequently, I've never been in debt and have never failed to pay a bill because I have always ensured I had enough for the essentials. Granted I've been lucky in that I have never been unemployed, but plenty of well paid people seem to get into financial difficulty through over stretching themselves.
            Same for me, and that is a philosophy I always lived by, although I was often scorned by some 'live now, pay later' friends.

Comment

My riding instructor, Stuart Roberts. I met him when I was a volunteer coach with RDA and he was appointed yard manager. I had a riding lesson with him every week and begged to watch him teaching other lessons.. I learned so much and would have been a much better and successful rider if I had met him sooner.

Comment

Undoubtedly my dad

Advice 1 - you are only as old as the woman you feel - so marry a younger woman.

Advice 2 (remember nappy pins) - first time you try to change a nappy pinch the little one's bum just as you put the pin in. The yelp will do the rest. (6 months before I was trusted)

plus many more equally valuable guides.

Comment

I was fortunate to have attended a very small country primary school with only about fifteen pupils ranging through P1 to P7, and all taught by a single teacher. To say she was an inspiration is an understatement. One of the things she instilled in me was "Never say 'I can't', always say 'I'll try' ". To this day I will always have a go at new challenges; after all, how would I know if I would enjoy something if I don't try it!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X