• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D'you know what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D'you know what?

I am SOOO ever so slightly bored. I am allergic to housework and yet I actually did some today, for something to do! That is how slightly ever so bored I am.

Can't go out for a walk as the snow is too dicey with my equally dicey knee. If I fall, I will become extremely non distanced with my Orthopaedic surgeon.

Won't go to the gym as masks are now ''advised'' and a slight problem I have with my nose would make exertion [as if!!] slightly unpleasant.

Nothing I need or want so why go to the shops

Read so many books I could become a literary critic

Played Bridge and finished Samurai Sudoku till my brain aches

Oh boy, am I ever so slightly bored. I've lasted nine ish months with the ''not bored/plenty to do'' attitude but now?

Any anti boredom advice out there or are we all in the same boat [marine reference, again for the pedants amongst us].

So bored I've taken up needle point..It's like a scene from Pride and Prejudice in our house.. Desperately hoping Mr Darcey drops by😏

Comment

Originally posted by poshtotty, north yorkshire View Post
      So bored I've taken up needle point..It's like a scene from Pride and Prejudice in our house.. Desperately hoping Mr Darcey drops by😏
      Hi PT
      Lovely to see you

Nope.
      Sorry, you can keep Mr D. Now as Alan Rickman is no longer with us, Sean Bean...

Comment

Needs must 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by poshtotty, north yorkshire View Post
          Needs must 🤣
          You never know, I might take up knitting.

Now, implements. I have heard knitting involves two thin sticks with sharpish ends and wool in some shape or form.

A new skill beckons.

Maybe!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Now, implements. I have heard knitting involves two thin sticks with sharpish ends and wool in some shape or form.

A new skill beckons.

Maybe!
            I crocheted a number of baby blankets during the first lockdown. I also made lots of poppies for the British Legion at the end of November and I really need to work on the blanket I am doing for our room. At least with crochet you can pick it up and put it down as the mood takes you. You know I’m really bored or desperate if I try to tackle my ironing pile! That has to be my least favourite job in the house now that I’ve discovered the joys of using the Karcher window vac on my shower cubicle! 😆

Take care and stay well. Helen🧶

Comment

A new skill beckons.

Maybe!
              Actually Mrs M, I resurrected my knitting skills (such as they were) a couple of years when my daughter gave birth to my first grandchild. She was delighted that I had made the effort after not picking up knitting needles for 45 years.

Whilst I don't profess to love knitting, I have found it quite therapeutic this year when I've found myself twiddling my thumbs. I've also taken up jigsaws if I'm stuck at home.

Maybe you should consider writing a book?
              Jill

Comment

Knitting, crochet, needlepoint, card making, colouring books, games on the iPad, I’ve done them all until I’m sick of them. Hospital visits start again in the new year. That will be nice - not!

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Maybe you should consider writing a book?
                  Actually, you are not the first to suggest that. I do have a collection of children’s stories I used to bring out for story time. Maybe one day...

Comment

I am beyond bored too, and missing people like crazy. I'm dreading what they are going to say tomorrow in the briefing

I think you would write an amazing book, or may-be do some audio books, you have such a lovely speaking voice

I'm jealous you have snow, I don't think we're are going to get any down here, I love it. Not for to long though, a couple of days is fine!! ......................................Carol

Comment

Have to say I'm not bored, I should do more housework but I'd rather knit, crochet or sew. Have enjoyed quilting these last few weeks & making some quilts & Christmas ornaments. Think any money I've saved on not buying coffees, meals out & petrol I've spent on buying fabrics. Not sure I have enough years left to make it all up!

Comment

Learn a new language... or try to reach a more advanced level in one you can already speak!

I'm working on Spanish at the moment. It would be lovely to think I might be able to make use of it on a 2021 cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
                          Learn a new language... or try to reach a more advanced level in one you can already speak!

I'm working on Spanish at the moment. It would be lovely to think I might be able to make use of it on a 2021 cruise.
                          Brain isn't sharp enough for a new language, but I did have a go at my GCE French by zoom, with a friend who is a language teacher. I surprised my self with how much I had retained but then I have used the skill, sporadically, over the years.

As one who is a committed logophile, I have also looked into my pathetic knowledge of Latin. That was fun. Words and their origins, are fascinating.

Comment

Brain isn't sharp enough for a new language, but I did have a go at my GCE French by zoom, with a friend who is a language teacher. I surprised my self with how much I had retained but then I have used the skill, sporadically, over the years.

As one who is a committed logophile, I have also looked into my pathetic knowledge of Latin. That was fun. Words and their origins, are fascinating.
                            Years ago when my children were doing French at school, I too revisited my French (which had not been used for years).

Like you, I was really surprised at how much was buried in my brain somewhere, and it didn't take too much to bring it back to the surface. All those grammar structures must have been drilled into me decades ago and I wrongly assumed they were long forgotten!

The beauty of having a go at a language is it is almost certainly a never ending activity and can be dipped into at any time to relieve boredom. There are always new words, grammar points, idioms and so on that can be learned, especially with all the internet resources available these days.

Comment

When I was still working, our school started extra curricular Japanese lessons, for which I enrolled. I was surprised that studying another language seemed to improve my recall of French. It must have reawakened that part of my brain that deals with language.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X