• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmassy? Or not.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmassy? Or not.

I love Christmas. I'm usually incredibly busy between entertaining both friends and family, school stuff, church and my volunteering.

This year, it's all totally different and I don't feel even the slightest bit Christmassy. In fact, I feel really sad about the whole occasion.

So I thought if I put the tree up, it might engender a bit of a positive vibe towards the season. I have a very special tree. Tradition says, we go and choose a full skirted 7/8ft Nordmann which is then dressed with all the old decorations from both sets of parents and even grandparents; children's tree stuff made in Kindergarten which I have carefully saved over the decades, garish non LED lights and all the travel mementoes collected over four decades of world wide travel. In short, it's almost a story book of our lives.

it's bright and brash and fantastic. The very old silver tinsel finishes it off to a standard which would be an interior designers nightmare

But, thank you Covid

it will probably be just the two of us inside over the festive few days so instead of full tables of 10/12 pre Christmas with freinds and ''the'' lunch, any of our usual festive entertaining will be done in the garden if hardy souls are willing to go thermal instead of semi formal with accessories being fleece blankets and hot water bottles instead Manolos and bling. Because of this, I can't be bothered dressing a 7/8ft Nordman this year so I've I've splashed out on a fake tree from m&s. I've put some of the lights on and that will be it.

What can I say. It's naff. It's pathetic but it was very very cheap and the biggest plus? It's so naff I can't stop smiling every time I walk past it!!

Objective sort of achieved. I'm smiling.

Still don't feel Christmassy but a wide smile is a start.

How do you feel and is your tree up yet?

I am lucky enough to be able to get together with my family in Surrey this year. It will only be for a couple of days but at least I get the pleasure and fun of being with my loved ones.

My OH doesn't do Christmas so he will happily stay at home and ignore it, as he always does. I don't decorate our home with a tree because Ebenezer wouldn't appreciate it.

Do I feel Christmassy? well sort of because I have had fun buying presents for my little grandsons and my adult kids and OHs.

Of course it won't be the same for any of us this year so we just have to be thankful for small mercies.

Jill

Comment

Santa Amazon has sent the children's presents on, already this year so I'm up to speed with the children. Adults I'll think about.
      We have teachers in our immediate family and they are very wary of joining us around a dining table, hence, probably, a deux. I can see a big family dinner in the Spring, with me buying festive food tp stick in the freezer once it's on Sale come the 26th/27th.

Roll on the vaccine.That will be as good as any present for the two of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
        I love Christmas. I'm usually incredibly busy between entertaining both friends and family, school stuff, church and my volunteering.

This year, it's all totally different and I don't feel even the slightest bit Christmassy. In fact, I feel really sad about the whole occasion.

So I thought if I put the tree up, it might engender a bit of a positive vibe towards the season. I have a very special tree. Tradition says, we go and choose a full skirted 7/8ft Nordmann which is then dressed with all the old decorations from both sets of parents and even grandparents; children's tree stuff made in Kindergarten which I have carefully saved over the decades, garish non LED lights and all the travel mementoes collected over four decades of world wide travel. In short, it's almost a story book of our lives.

it's bright and brash and fantastic. The very old silver tinsel finishes it off to a standard which would be an interior designers nightmare

But, thank you Covid

it will probably be just the two of us inside over the festive few days so instead of full tables of 10/12 pre Christmas with freinds and ''the'' lunch, any of our usual festive entertaining will be done in the garden if hardy souls are willing to go thermal instead of semi formal with accessories being fleece blankets and hot water bottles instead Manolos and bling. Because of this, I can't be bothered dressing a 7/8ft Nordman this year so I've I've splashed out on a fake tree from m&s. I've put some of the lights on and that will be it.

What can I say. It's naff. It's pathetic but it was very very cheap and the biggest plus? It's so naff I can't stop smiling every time I walk past it!!

Objective sort of achieved. I'm smiling.

Still don't feel Christmassy but a wide smile is a start.

How do you feel and is your tree up yet?

What a great post, it made me laugh out loud.

Two of my grandchildren pestered my daughter to put up their tree last weekend. Grandma was roped in to the family bubble to assist.

Much the same as your tree, theirs is decorated with items the children made in nursery school, and various baubles collected by my daughter on her worldwide business travels. In addition there’s the festive Christmas decorations I always bought back from cruises for the grandchildren. Lots of lovely memories thinking about Christmas market cruises and the various ports of call where the items were bought.

Personally, I have not yet got in to Christmas mode, as I live on my own and no longer bother with a tree. However, today I had beautiful birthday flowers delivered, from both my son and daughter. I spend a lot of time flower arranging and all the flowers have a Christmas theme. I’ve had a fun morning making my house look beautiful and it’s now almost Christmassy. .

Comment

I put my tree up last week, and I hate it, it's to small. I just can't find one I like this year. However, we then decided to re-do the sitting room floor, so it's just as well it's a small tree, as it is now in the kitchen, along with half the sitting room, while we do the lounge and dart room floor!

It's supposed to snow on Friday, so I hope it does, that will make it seem Christmassy .................................................. .Carol

Comment

Beautiful flowers can lift the spirit - Happy Birthday, Blondie 💐

Not in the Christmas spirit yet as am dealing with a bereavement and funeral next week, but Santa Amazon has been contacted this morning. I did not want to go down that route but with officialdom taking over the last few weeks I had to bow the great internet!

🎅🏻🎅🏻 Ho,ho, ho!! Jen

Comment

Glad you are smiling.

We have decided as a family not to let Covid interfere with our enjoyment of Christmas.

Our Christmas tree is up and has been decorated for over a week, all the lights and decorations inside/outside are up. Since we put our outside lights up, our next door neighbours and two neighbours opposite have put there’s up.

Our daughter who lives in the next road has had her tree and all the lights up for the past two weeks, at least 6 of her neighbours either side of her and opposite have there’s up. My wife said recently we should go for a ride one night to view the Christmas lights as so many houses have already put there lights up.

People around here seem to have put there lights up much earlier this year appears a lot of people have had enough of the doom and gloom.

Our dining room is full of presents, most my wife has already wrapped and at this very moment she is sat at the dining room table writing out her Christmas cards, we have already received two.

Our Christmas will only be spent with family members who have been in our family bubble since the Pandemic started, one of whom is a junior school teacher,

Tried to upload photo of our tree etc but keep getting this notice

5121116D-F205-443B-8994-5618F2DA91D9.jpeg
              Image resize failed due to your image library not having support for this image type.

Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 2nd December 2020, 02:00 PM.
              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Our apartment building doesn’t allow real trees, which is understandable because of the fire hazard, so we bought an artificial tree with lights already in place. I started to decorate it yesterday. Like Mrs. M, our decorations are an eclectic mix of travel souvenirs, gifts and handmade items, so almost everything brings back a memory as I hang it.
                My oldest granddaughter loved to help with tree decorating and I have missed her assistance since the family moved to UK, but a Zoom call yesterday connected us. Finding the ornaments she remembered slowed the process, so the job wasn’t finished.
                I feel sad to know that only the two of us will see the tree, but that is life in lockdown.
                Sheila

Comment

In Wales when it was banned to go shopping I got a pretty hearth thing??? and some lights to wind round my dresser from Amazon.. To be fair I think Amazon probably made a fortune out of wales athe time! I thought the pretty thing would be like a feather boa that you just throw at the fireplace, it wasnt, it was like a skinny chrismas tree, took me all afternoon to put into shape, and the lights, there were about 1000ft of them, so they have gone quite a way and look so pretty i might just leave them up...Had to buy new this year as we are always on Balmoral at christmas....Lots of people round here had stuff up for weeks now and I have to say it does look very pretty, but like a lot of you it will only be me and him for crimbo itself but will have a family crimbo in april or may

Comment

Originally posted by Jenkin, EA View Post
                    Beautiful flowers can lift the spirit - Happy Birthday, Blondie 💐

Not in the Christmas spirit yet as am dealing with a bereavement and funeral next week, but Santa Amazon has been contacted this morning. I did not want to go down that route but with officialdom taking over the last few weeks I had to bow the great internet!

🎅🏻🎅🏻 Ho,ho, ho!! Jen
                    Thanks for your birthday wishes Jen.

I’m sorry you are having to cope with a bereavement and funeral; sincere condolences on your sad loss.

We had a family bereavement during lockdown. Sadly, we had to have a non attended funeral and were not able to say our final goodbye.

Comment

I've done a lot of Christmas baking, which makes me feel quite Christmassy.

I've made several cakes - some dark ones rich in spices and flavoured with brandy or rum, and some with glace fruits of different colours, flavoured with amoretto. Soon I'll decorate them - some with traditional marzipan and icing, and some with fruits, angelica and pecans.

I've also made Christmas puddings and mincemeat.

I've enjoyed sweet-making in lockdown and so I've bought ballotin boxes and will be making truffles, florentines and fudge nearer the time. I'm also going to try out a panforte recipe I found, as I've never tried making that.

In fact I've already made far too many cakes and so I'll be giving them away to any relatives prepared to accept them, even if I have to wear a mask and leave them on their doorstep!

Comment

My son bought his own first property a little while ago and he has been proudly decorating his living room for Christmas.

He sent me a photo of his lovely tree, with a big pile of wrapped parcels underneath.

I couldn't understand this, as he normally starts his shopping around 23 December.

He explained they weren't gifts, just empty boxes he had wrapped for show.

I asked him where he got all the boxes and he explained they were from the freezer. Old pizza boxes etc etc and - most worryingly - a box that had contained battered fish pieces. Hope he cleaned it out first.

Comment

Bizarrely we have had a modest Xmas tree up since April, but outside in the garden. OH was clearing out and cleaning up the shed at the bottom of the garden (due to the mice who think it belongs to them) and the tree, stored there for some years, was taking up too much room. So we popped it in our border to fill up a gap in the shrubbery as we have many people regularly using a footpath running alongside the garden. The tree looks incongruous but it’s amused us and no-one else can see it through the fence.

Now I’m thinking of putting a set of battery run lights on it.

I like a bit of outdoor lighting to cheer up the dark afternoons and long evenings. 🎄🌲🎄

Comment

Happy Birthday and Condolences.

A cousin of mine passed away last week so I have sympathy with Jen. Blondie, I'm just envious.

I would often buy a new top to wear on ''the'' day, black trousers always being my staple and which I have five pairs of the same style so I don't have to have them laundered on a two week cruise, [and there's the cruise link for any ''it's a cruise forum'' sticklers!].

This year, I'm thinking a little [well big for me] number from Damart!!

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                              Glad you are smiling.

We have decided as a family not to let Covid interfere with our enjoyment of Christmas...

Sadly it's the family teachers who are dragging their feet, not us. We will see. If not then a ruddy good family meal in a couple of weeks/months time. I might even put my tree of naffness up again!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X