• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas music to get you in the mood?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas music to get you in the mood?

I'm a sucker for Christmas songs.

When the corny old favourites are played over the supermarket tannoy, I get a warm feeling and fill up the trolley!

My two absolute favourites are 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl (currently in the news, as it is being 'edited'), and Wizzard's 'I wish it could be Christmas every day'.

I also rather like 'I believe in Father Christmas' by Greg Lake, and 'Happy Xmas (War is Over)' by John and Yoko.

Traditional carols are nice too.

So which Christmas songs do you love... or really hate?

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
    I'm a sucker for Christmas songs.

When the corny old favourites are played over the supermarket tannoy, I get a warm feeling and fill up the trolley!

My two absolute favourites are 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl (currently in the news, as it is being 'edited'), and Wizzard's 'I wish it could be Christmas every day'.

I also rather like 'I believe in Father Christmas' by Greg Lake, and 'Happy Xmas (War is Over)' by John and Yoko.

Traditional carols are nice too.

So which Christmas songs do you love... or really hate?
    Good choice - probably Wizzard for me and my pet hate Slade Merry Christmas Everybody.

At the hairdresser yesterday, for the last time....., someone cringed to Wham's Last Christmas.

Annie

Comment

I listen to Heart radio on the school run, and they have had a competition going, to see who could get 5 Christmas questions right and then they would start playing their Xmas songs every day. Yesterday was the day someone got them right and it was followed by an hour of songs. Wonderful. My driver didn't think so, thought it was far to early, but the children and me were in our element.

I love Whams Last Christmas. I also like Shakin Stevens Merry Xmas Everyone. .................................................. .....Carol

Comment

I'm a bit miserable and don't like them appearing too early but happy to embrace them in December.
        I like Greg Lake too and Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea.Big fan of traditional carols too.
        Can't bear Mistletoe and Wine.

Comment

The Messiah, we always gave a performance of this, at school and I have loved it for xx decades!

Away in a Manger sung by children

The Piano Guys with Peter Hollens and David Archuleta - Angels From the Realms of Glory, absolutely goose bump makingly, wonderful

Comment

Although I listen to a lot of music, normally my Spotify playlist via a set of headphones, it does not include any Christmas music.

Never listen to the radio in the car unless on a long run, holiday time etc, very rarely have the radio on in the home, so generally don’t get to listen to a lot of Christmas music, unless when it’s played in store..

Having said that I do enjoy most Traditional Carols when sung by a good choir,

Together with our daughter and her children we normally attend Midnight Mass and Carol service on Christmas Eve at a village church in St Osyth, cannot see that going ahead this year.

Putting our Christmas tree and lights (inside & outside) up this weekend, our daughter put hers up and switched them on last weekend.
            Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 21st November 2020, 11:39 AM.
            Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
              I'm a bit miserable and don't like them appearing too early but happy to embrace them in December.
              I like Greg Lake too and Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rea.Big fan of traditional carols too.
              Can't bear Mistletoe and Wine.
              Mistletoe and Wine is one of the very few songs that might make me take the Christmas stuff out of the trolley and put it back on the shelves. (Sorry, Cliff fans!)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

The Messiah, we always gave a performance of this, at school and I have loved it for xx decades!

Away in a Manger sung by children

The Piano Guys with Peter Hollens and David Archuleta - Angels From the Realms of Glory, absolutely goose bump makingly, wonderful
                I think I like all carols sung by children....

... apart from 'We wish you a merry Christmas', sung by children knocking at the door. My mother would wait for them to get to the end of the first verse, and then... wait. Just to prove that they were opportunists who had not bothered to learn all the lyrics!

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post

I think I like all carols sung by children....

... apart from 'We wish you a merry Christmas', sung by children knocking at the door. My mother would wait for them to get to the end of the first verse, and then... wait. Just to prove that they were opportunists who had not bothered to learn all the lyrics!
                  Oh me too but Away in a Manger is a definite hankie weepie for me. Doesn't help the tear ducts that it was my mother's favourite carol!

I am [was] a huge Cliff fan but could def. leave his Christmas offerings.

Can I add any John Rutter music and Josh Groban ''Oh Holy Night''

Comment

Just for you Sandra,,,,the uncut version...ironically from BBC Top of the Pops.

JC
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                      Just for you Sandra,,,,the uncut version...ironically from BBC Top of the Pops.

JC
                      Thank you - love it!

And for anyone interested in the story of the song...
                      Looking back at the history and making of 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl, including its lyrics, meaning, video and controversy.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                        Although I listen to a lot of music, normally my Spotify playlist via a set of headphones, it does not include any Christmas music.

Never listen to the radio in the car unless on a long run, holiday time etc, very rarely have the radio on in the home, so generally don’t get to listen to a lot of Christmas music, unless when it’s played in store..

Having said that I do enjoy most Traditional Carols when sung by a good choir,

Together with our daughter and her children we normally attend Midnight Mass and Carol service on Christmas Eve at a village church in St Osyth, cannot see that going ahead this year.

Putting our Christmas tree and lights (inside & outside) up this weekend, our daughter put hers up and switched them on last weekend.
                        Oooh I wish I could. We're decorating almost done, so was going to do it tomorrow, but now the other half thinks he wants to change the floor too Think he's doing it on purpose so we can't put the tree up!! .................................................. ....Carol

Comment

I really don’t want to hear Christmas music, especially carols, until December.
                          Our gatherings in indoor public places, including places of worship, have just been reduced to ten people, so we are unlikely to have our community carol sing this year. I will miss it, not to mention the midnight service on Christmas Eve.
                          Sheila

Comment

I love traditional Christmas carols and always enjoyed our practice sessions when our choir was run by our old organist Terry who sadly passed away some years ago. It was never the same after he had to retire. In NY our choir director/organist had composed a lovely carol that we sang at Midnight Mass. I can still remember most of it, but the words might not necessarily be in the right order! My favourite Christmas album of all time is one by Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme with Leontyne Price and Arthur Fiedler of the Boston Pops Orchestra. It was such a wonderful mixture of the sacred and secular that I still have the cassette that my mum copied for me when I got married. Where the record skipped I can still picture her racing to the phonograph player to move the arm along 😆! Hurry Home for Christmas by Steve and Eydie had to be my favourite track on it. One day I hope to track down a CD of that album.

PS: the tree isn’t going up for a couple of weeks yet as we can’t even do Thanksgiving due to the lockdown. It takes me about a week to get all my decorations up around the house (I have rather a lot of them - 6 plastic crates, 2 big trees and a partridge in a pear tree.....🤣)

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

Love Fairytale of New York, Do they know it's Christmas by Band Aid and Santa Claus is coming to town by Bruce Springsteen. Like most of the other Christmas songs but not Wham, Mariah Carey and Bowie/Bing. Also love traditional carols.

Barb

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X