• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farewell 747

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farewell 747

Flown many times on this lovely aircraft and it is a sad day to see it going out of service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EiRPm1d0X8

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
    Flown many times on this lovely aircraft and it is a sad day to see it going out of service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EiRPm1d0X8
    I have flown to USA on a jumbo and loved it. You could get up and walk around and there was a space at the back you could stretch your legs and look out the window. I remember looking down and flying over icebergs and little islands. Such a shame.

Comment

My first flight across the pond, as a younger man, was on a Pan-Am 747 and have flew on them a few since. I also often spent time loitering around the space at the back, near the toilets, galley and window.

I do have a soft spot for them. Better than the A380 Airbus*.

*(I am talking cattle-class).
      Last edited by Malcolm, Essex; 8th October 2020, 06:41 PM.
      See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Well said ‘Little Red Rooster’. Heart-breaking! Flew long-haul many times in BA 747 and a much loved part of holidays for wife and I wife was Club seats 64A and B upstairs.

Comment

Yup, loved them too - fair to say though that BA's 747's were very tired and showing their age. I think they were the last carrier of any note to still use them.

Shame though - still onwards & upwards hopefully.

Would like to fly on an A380 (better hurry whilst they still fly ex-Glasgow).

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Flown many times on a 747.

We flew out to KL in '84 on a UTA plane which was subsequently blown up and BA. Nothing like seeing a huge plane with the silver fuselage and blue crown on the tail fin to invoke a tear or two when living as an expat.
            Flown out to Oz, Far East, S.E Asia, USA, all over the place really.

RIP passenger 747s

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
              Yup, loved them too - fair to say though that BA's 747's were very tired and showing their age. I think they were the last carrier of any note to still use them.

Shame though - still onwards & upwards hopefully.

Would like to fly on an A380 (better hurry whilst they still fly ex-Glasgow).

LMM
              Emirates A380. Quite a nice way to travel and Singapore, Krug champagne. Not too bad an offering!

Comment

All our Jumbo flights were transatlantic, but the most comfortable one was when we were given an unexpected upgrade to business class. Different world up those stairs!

They apparently weren't flying too far today....one to S Wales and the other to Gloucester, I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
                  . I think they were the last carrier of any note to still use them.
                  Yes, just googled it. Virgin's last 747-400 retired in may this year.
                  See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Emirates A380. Quite a nice way to travel and Singapore, Krug champagne. Not too bad an offering!

Sadly, the gulf airlines left BA behind many years ago, I agree that Emirates are excellent

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
                      All our Jumbo flights were transatlantic, but the most comfortable one was when we were given an unexpected upgrade to business class. Different world up those stairs!

They apparently weren't flying too far today....one to S Wales and the other to Gloucester, I heard.
                      There have been 3 BA 747's near the A429 at Kemble, Gloucester for a little while now. For those driving past for the first time it must be quite a surprise to come round a bend and see those huge planes so close plus many others straight in front of you.

Comment

Our last flight to Miami in February was on the 747. Just an iconic aeroplane, will be sadly missed.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                          Our last flight to Miami in February was on the 747. Just an iconic aeroplane, will be sadly missed.
                          Yes it was an iconic aircraft, and it's sad to see its demise, but having flown on both the 747 and A380, there's no comparison. Sadly, the A380's days are numbered too. Funny how we look back with fondness at things from the past. I use my '59 Morris Traveller quite regularly, and there's no doubt that it's an iconic car, but pretty poor by comparison to my modern car.

Comment

Sad though it is to see the end of the jumbo era, it is better to have
                            more fuel efficient and cleaner aircraft flying in our skies......though when I check out the Flight Radar app, its scary just how many planes there are flying at any one time. The map resembles a gigantic plague of locusts!

The demise of the Concorde was rather more emotional. 😢

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X