• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And now, the end is near...............apologies to Mr. Sinatra

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And now, the end is near...............apologies to Mr. Sinatra

Lifted from Facebook - don't know the location.

LMM

DF427064-074E-401B-8B54-FD87E5440C3E.jpeg

6115D9CD-49FB-4E0F-8179-685CA68A5E55.jpeg

DBD71820-FAB8-4173-BC03-7D64E1FFBD37.jpeg

1A8DDA72-75AD-4261-B674-3F823AECC8F2.jpeg

22B14D54-A272-476A-95FC-A6A2CE0651CA.jpeg

03A4870D-42D1-4B3D-8A58-07D15E0C3F35.jpeg

Lawnmowerman

I'm sure some of us may have sailed on some of them at sometime.

Any thoughts?

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
      Lifted from Facebook - don't know the location.

LMM
      Spotted this the other day.

According to the DM its Aliaga, a town 30 miles north of Izmir on Turkey's west coast,

The Carnival ships are self explanatory but I don't recognise the other two with blue hulls.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8798957/The-covid-cruise-ship-graveyard-Passenger-liners-stripped-scrap-Turkish-dock.html
      www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

Any thoughts?

LMM
        One of the photos was the centre spread (Eyewitness) in today’s Guardian.
        The scrapyard is in Aliaga in Turkey.

I believe the 2 ships to the left are Sovereign and Monarch ex RCL ship,was last with Pullmantur.

JC
        Last edited by jc, liverpool; 5th October 2020, 07:26 PM.
        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Any thoughts?

LMM
          I Just think it’s sad to see these ships going to the big seas in the sky especially at this unpredictable time. 😢
          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Absolutely agree with Izzy - what a sad, dismal sight for avid cruisers. Just need to be planning or going on a cruise!

Comment

What a sad sight.

I am so pleased that Boudicca & Black watch have had a stay of execution and are going to be used as accommodation ships for workers in a shipyard in Turkey. I don't know how long that will last but it's horrible to think of them being broken up. I wonder how the crews that have manned all these scrapped ships feel.
              Jill

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                One of the photos was the centre spread (Eyewitness) in today’s Guardian.
                The scrapyard is in Aliaga in Turkey.

I believe the 2 ships to the left are Sovereign and Monarch ex RCL ship,was last with Pullmantur.

JC
                Ahh, thanks. Our first cruise with Royal Caribbean was Monarch of the Seas . Los Angeles, San Diego, Catalina Island & Ensenada.

Great cruise (15 years ago if I remember correctly). Struggling to find photographs though.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Given the current economic situation, how long will they just sit there before anything happens to them ? You would hope that one or two could be converted into a hospital / container ships. Suppose it’s down to the cost of the conversion but better than breaking them up. Sad images.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                    What a sad sight.

I am so pleased that Boudicca & Black watch have had a stay of execution and are going to be used as accommodation ships for workers in a shipyard in Turkey. I don't know how long that will last but it's horrible to think of them being broken up. I wonder how the crews that have manned all these scrapped ships feel.
                    Hi Jill
                    They are only ships,just lumps of iron.
                    I worked on chemical plants that were scrapped you just walked off one plant onto another new one.
                    I would imagine the crew would feel the same,,,,from an old ship onto a shiny new ship.better facilities,no thudding engines keeping them awake.probably better crew cabins.

I sailed on all the old Thomson ships,had great memories of them all...but I never wore black when they got scrapped,,,they are just inanimate objects.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
                      Given the current economic situation, how long will they just sit there before anything happens to them ? You would hope that one or two could be converted into a hospital / container ships. Suppose it’s down to the cost of the conversion but better than breaking them up. Sad images.
                      Hi Mike
                      They won’t just sit there,,it takes just 6 months to cut them up and turn them into razor blades,,,,then there is just a beach until the next old banger of a cruise ship comes along.

Some of the bits come in useful,,I read the first people on the ship in the scrapyard are hoteliers from all over the world buying up bedroom furniture and the like.
                      JC
                      Last edited by jc, liverpool; 6th October 2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Seeing these photos of ships ready to be scrapped reminded me of one very sad sight as we sailed out of Genoa in Sept 2015.

No doubt you will recognise the ship....

5A53AB6F-F506-475B-B912-0E7BA84BE2B7.jpeg

Comment

Costa Concordia.
                          JC

Comment

Hi all
                            Not a cruise ship but one of the saddest sights of a boat left to rust was this one tied up in Douglas IoM harbour.
                            Everyone remembers this tragedy in 2000.
                            Every time you crossed the road bridge over the harbour it put a lump in your throat
                            Sadly it stayed tied up there for 12 years until it rusted away and was finally cut up.

A4EA9A3F-A493-40B6-B169-3928ED792E93.jpeg
                            JC
                            Last edited by jc, liverpool; 6th October 2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                            best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                            agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                            X