• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working from home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from home

A large insurance company, Zurich who have their headquarters in nearby Swindon recently balloted their staff on how they wished to work in future. Two thirds said that they do not wish to return to 5 days a week 9 to 5 in the office. My working days are over but I never wanted to work from home and in any case my job didn't lend itself to doing so. I enjoyed the social side of going to work and in fact met my wife there. Also, I was fairly intense about my work and never really got the work/life balance right. Having my home as a workplace may well have made that worse. Could you or do you work from home?
    Logic will get you from A to B.
    Imagination will take you everywhere.

I worked from home for the last 5 years of my working life. I loved every minute of it. I hated the daily drive through rush hour traffic, and the scramble for a place to park. I also hated the constant interruptions in the office. When I started working from home I bought my first dog who was better company than many people I had to work with. I started my day with a walk with my dog instead of wasting my life sitting in traffic. If I had clients to see I went straight from home, again saving time. I still had targets to meet and found that I could do so in much less time than if I had been office based. It needed some discipline, so I would "go to work" at the same time every day, and finish on time every day. I would not touch any of my files (paper ones in those days) until the start of my next working day. If I wanted a break, I could go and sit in an armchair with a cuppa, or have a wander round the garden. There was nothing about it I didn't like, and would never have gone back to office working.

Comment

Having just 2, 3 or 4 days a week in the office works great. Like Peter says, no sitting in traffic, and can concentrate on the documents that need writing without any interruptions (apart from Skype). Equipment and hands on when in the office. I much prefer it and if I do go for another role I will definitely be looking for one that has some working from home.
      Although I could not see it working if I did not have the space for a home office

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
        Having just 2, 3 or 4 days a week in the office works great. Like Peter says, no sitting in traffic, and can concentrate on the documents that need writing without any interruptions (apart from Skype). Equipment and hands on when in the office. I much prefer it and if I do go for another role I will definitely be looking for one that has some working from home.
        Although I could not see it working if I did not have the space for a home office
        Lack of space is an issue for 2 of my sisters.

Ironing board doubling as a desk

Annie

Comment

It will be interesting to see how things turn out with Zurich. They are moving to a new headquarters which is currently under construction.
          Logic will get you from A to B.
          Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

My son in UK has worked from home for the last six years and was delighted that his employer had decided that as the workforce had grown they would get office space. He was part of the decision process and the new offices were close to his home and set to open in March. Needless to say he is still working from home.

His brother in Toronto is managing partner of a Capital Management company. When the pandemic struck, all his employees worked from home. Now they are divided into two cohorts who are in the office alternate weeks. His young single employees want to be in the office, while the older, family people mostly prefer to work from home. I think the difference is that those with families have moved out of town to find affordable housing, so working from home cuts one to two hours commuting time from each end of their day.

Comment

Our daughter has worked from home since lockdown and whilst she has enjoyed it, she welcomed it when a decision was taken to go back one day per week working in the office on a rota system. If only for a break from her partner and 2 girls who were also at home during lockdown, constantly asking them to be quiet when the phone rang or keeping out of site when on a conference call, even although she had set up her office in the conservatory. She also missed the team community spirit at work even although her office is separate from her team.

I was interested to learn the telephone system used when working from home is operated via Wi-Fi and the cloud and not BT. Anybody working from home can answer a call to the company and pas it through to the relevant department or individual whether they be in the office or at home.

The latest company decision is each department will work on a rota of one week in four in the office, three weeks working from home.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

I’ve worked from home for 22 years. Half employed and half self employed.
                its not easy and you do have to be self motivated and self disciplined. It’s easy to fall into the trap off an awful work/life balance but with planning and structure it can work very well.
                Id absolutely hate to go back out to work. The thought of working somewhere 9-5 and asking permission to take a days holiday in 18 months time fills me with dread.

interestingly the travel industry was one of the first sectors in the U.K. to employ homeworkers. Now a lot of industries are seeing the benefit.

Comment

I've never worked solely from home, though I've had jobs where I've sometimes worked out of the office to complete projects.

Whilst it was a nice change of routine and was an effective way of working intensively when deadlines approached, I would not have wanted to work at home all the time.

My own children are now young adults and have made friends through work, and developed important interpersonal skills. If they had to switch to 100% home working, I fear that would be a rather soulless existence for them.

Comment

I have a 90-mile commute to work and as soon as the government recommended we should avoid all non-essential travel I started to work from home. I didn't like it to start with and I found it very difficult to separate work from home life, the latter being where I normally go to escape work.
                    I have continued to get up at the same time but instead of driving for just under two hours I now take a 5-mile walk every morning then start work after.
                    Since July, I have returned to the office for 2 days a week and seem to have struck a good balance. I do find it much easier now and am enjoying having more time to myself in the early evening.
                    I can't see myself ever going back to a full 5 days in the office.
                    www.wansbroughs-cruise-blog.me.uk

Comment

At the age of 71 my working days are over, having been retired for nearly 12 years.

I enjoyed office life and the banter that went with it. However, my job became increasingly pressurised and I was glad to take redundancy, even though it was compulsory.

Luckily I lived only three miles from my place of work and getting there and home was not difficult because the traffic was light and the parking free. In a previous job I had a long drive along crowded roads and I did not like the constant stop-start commute.

My job is being done from home by my successors but I am glad not to be part of it - at least permanently.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X