• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Think

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Do You Think

Is this guy making sense with what he says about the Covid situation.......I think he is. What do you think ??

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...JsMlpoH_800ZTY

Tbh, I’ve lost the will to live with this damned virus. It’s In our faces 24 hrs a day and it’ll never go away. Whatever I think won’t make any difference as the politicians / scientists will continue to rule our lives for us. We are not part of the decision making process.

Comment

The government wants businesses to be back up and running no matter the consequences. The scientists want to control the virus but are still learning new things about the virus everyday. Joe public will never be asked what we think should be done to prevent/control/reduce the virus. We have the ‘I will do what I’m asked by the government to help prevent the spread and keep my family safe’ camp, which IMO is most of the public, and then we have the ‘no one will tell me what to do or take away my human rights’ camp, so who’s right?

Sadly I think the virus found the most vulnerable people first and either killed them or gave them long term health problems eg covid lung. However now it’s the turn of the healthy, young and old, people. Speaking from a (1 year today retired) nurse's view I think everyone should follow the rules ie wear face covering, wash hands, use hand gel, keep to the 2 metre distance rule and if everyone does then businesses etc can keep their doors open.

I was on the train last night for the first time since lockdown. My 6.30pm journey into Glasgow 99.9% of people, young and old, were wearing face masks but on the return journey at just after 9pm only about 50% of all ages were wearing masks. Most not all of the 50% that were not wearing masks were late teens to mid 20 year olds, most of whom were gathered is groups of over 6. The government has given out the message that young people were at lower risk of covid and I think this group just think they’re immune to it.
      don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

I can't see the point of the lockdowns, if everyone is expected to go to work, school, can eat out and go to the pub.

I honestly believe if we had done nothing from the start and just carried on as usual, staying at home when/if we got sick, it would be no worse than it is now.

Can you imagine if every news items, had the number of people ill, or who had died from various things every day read out. No one would do anything, yes it's a nasty virus, but so are a lot of other things. It's time to start living again! .................................................. .......Carol

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
          Tbh, I’ve lost the will to live with this damned virus. It’s In our faces 24 hrs a day and it’ll never go away. Whatever I think won’t make any difference as the politicians / scientists will continue to rule our lives for us. We are not part of the decision making process.
          The science is evolving because it is a new virus. Nope I can't do anything about that.

I follow the Scottish government's guidelines - FACTS - appears to be based on common sense.

Westminster government I don't trust - too many of DC's cronies have been awarded contracts without going out to tender. I am cynical on that point.

Adherence to masks in shops, public transport and restaurants has been very good.

However locally not many are following the guidelines on household mixing - not big parties - but 3 or 4 different households together indoors. Just count the cars. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, people are managing their family's risk and have switched off. Unless one of their own family is impacted severely, they will not change their behaviour.

TBH other governments around the world restrict my behaviour more through quarantine regulations.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
            The government wants businesses to be back up and running no matter the consequences. The scientists want to control the virus but are still learning new things about the virus everyday. Joe public will never be asked what we think should be done to prevent/control/reduce the virus. We have the ‘I will do what I’m asked by the government to help prevent the spread and keep my family safe’ camp, which IMO is most of the public, and then we have the ‘no one will tell me what to do or take away my human rights’ camp, so who’s right?

Sadly I think the virus found the most vulnerable people first and either killed them or gave them long term health problems eg covid lung. However now it’s the turn of the healthy, young and old, people. Speaking from a (1 year today retired) nurse's view I think everyone should follow the rules ie wear face covering, wash hands, use hand gel, keep to the 2 metre distance rule and if everyone does then businesses etc can keep their doors open.

I was on the train last night for the first time since lockdown. My 6.30pm journey into Glasgow 99.9% of people, young and old, were wearing face masks but on the return journey at just after 9pm only about 50% of all ages were wearing masks. Most not all of the 50% that were not wearing masks were late teens to mid 20 year olds, most of whom were gathered is groups of over 6. The government has given out the message that young people were at lower risk of covid and I think this group just think they’re immune to it.
            Agree but they’re the first to moan about it when they’re having to self isolate in the halls of residence. The university figures are horrendous. But what do you expect, they’re so young and lack life experience. Not the best way to start their further education journey.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

The science is evolving because it is a new virus. Nope I can't do anything about that.

I follow the Scottish government's guidelines - FACTS - appears to be based on common sense.

Westminster government I don't trust - too many of DC's cronies have been awarded contracts without going out to tender. I am cynical on that point.

Adherence to masks in shops, public transport and restaurants has been very good.

However locally not many are following the guidelines on household mixing - not big parties - but 3 or 4 different households together indoors. Just count the cars. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, people are managing their family's risk and have switched off. Unless one of their own family is impacted severely, they will not change their behaviour.

TBH other governments around the world restrict my behaviour more through quarantine regulations.

Annie
              Annie, figures from police Scotland (covering the weekend) 300 house parties raided and 101 fixed penalty notices issued. Forced entry to 3 houses and arrested 14 individuals. It would appear many are not listening to the rules and guidance. Agree, it’s about managing the risk. If we do that we should be fine 🤞

Comment

Agree but they’re the first to moan about it when they’re having to self isolate in the halls of residence. The university figures are horrendous. But what do you expect, they’re so young and lack life experience. Not the best way to start their further education journey.
                I know Mike but these young people are supposed to be intelligent. 🤷🏻*♀️. They will still congregate in public rooms and their own rooms but still complain if they’re asked to isolate. The poor care home residents have, in effect, had to isolate since March and lots of them don’t understand why. Their families have had to visit via looking through a closed window.

Comment

Sorry that is a little harsh.

If your Halls of Residence is a flat share with 11 other people and the facilities comprise 1 small kitchen and if you are lucky 2 showers and 2 toilets, what do you expect?? It is not en-suite study bedrooms they enjoy. How the heck are they meant to self-isolate effectively in that scenario.

Should the Halls have been opened up??

I know one 'day' university student, who has contracted covid. As he returns home every evening, his whole family have to quarantine. His father was shielding as he is auto-immune comprmised. Who says he didn't pick up the virus on the train??

Annie

Comment

The good news is we are getting a lot better at stopping people dying from the effects of the virus.

Bad news is hospitals are filling up with people that are very sick with other stuff as they have not been seeking medical attention since March.

Schools have taken over care homes for the most outbreaks(multiple positives).

Comment

If your Halls of Residence is a flat share with 11 other people and the facilities comprise 1 small kitchen and if you are lucky 2 showers and 2 toilets, what do you expect?? It is not en-suite study bedrooms they enjoy. How the heck are they meant to self-isolate effectively in that scenario.

I know one 'day' university student, who has contracted covid. As he returns home every evening, his whole family have to quarantine. His father was shielding as he is auto-immune comprmised. Who says he didn't pick up the virus on the train??

Annie
                      Fair point Annie.....university hierarchy would have known that was the case, so why didn’t they err on the side of caution ? 💷 💷 ?. It was a recipe for disaster and it has been.

Comment

Annie
                        The universities had since March to get something safer in place. They should have invested in full distance learning thus saving the virus been transmitted in such big numbers. Loads of them will have long term conditions due to covid. The OU manages extremely well on distance learning so why can't ‘normal’ universities do the same?

I know universities need foreign students as they pay for tuition (Scotland) but they shouldn’t have been allowed to travel unless they had negative covid results or just have advised them to stay in their own country for the present and do their course online in the meantime. The halls shouldn’t have been opened IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

The universities had since March to get something safer in place. They should have invested in full distance learning thus saving the virus been transmitted in such big numbers. Loads of them will have long term conditions due to covid. The OU manages extremely well on distance learning so why can't ‘normal’ universities do the same?

I know universities need foreign students as they pay for tuition (Scotland) but they shouldn’t have been allowed to travel unless they had negative covid results or just have advised them to stay in their own country for the present and do their course online in the meantime. The halls shouldn’t have been opened IMO.
                          For many courses, no disagreement from me.

For those students who study subjects with a sizeable laboratory requirement, like Medicine, distance learning is not an option.

Let's hope they are planning more effectively for the 2021-22 academic year.

Was it greed before health??

Annie

Comment

For many courses, no disagreement from me.

For those students who study subjects with a sizeable laboratory requirement, like Medicine, distance learning is not an option.

Let's hope they are planning more effectively for the 2021-22 academic year.

Was it greed before health??

Annie
                            Yes I think it was necessity and greed before health.

I agree that some courses are harder to do online like nursing, medicine but it could still be done. Nursing students have their placements so these could be extended and their mentor and other nursing staff could have more time to teach them. They could also bring back clinical instructors (we had them when I was training) who came onto the wards to teach and test student nurses on practical procedures.

Comment

I have stuck rigidly to the guidelines as have most people, I think, but to be honest I'm getting fed up with the whole business. It seems that more and more people are getting that way too. I honestly don't know what the answer is, but there's something wrong when many more people are dying of cancer than this virus and yet cancer treatment is being delayed and all attention focused on avoiding Covid. Closing pubs early was never going to work, and those determined to drink are just buying booze elsewhere. I addition, when the pubs shut at 10.00p.m. the customers are all leaving at once and congregating outside Either allow pubs to open normally, or shut them completely.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X