• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is not always the children to blame

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How is the pub rule going to stop household transmission??

    In NI and Scotland, they have highlighted the family gatherings as the primary cause. Even in Dublin, where the 'wet' pubs have never re-opened, they are experiencing a spike.

    Annie

    Comment


      Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

      Covid: Pubs and restaurants in England to have 10pm closing times https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54242634
      Not going to squeal, myself I am usually out of the pub around 10pm unless there is something on, but would like an explanation, maybe Boris will provide one this evening....

      How will this achieve anything apart from shut down more pubs and restaurants and more redundancies? Restaurants are already struggling with reduced capacity so need the hours to add additional turns.
      Customers will just go to the pub earlier, the pubs will be busier, and then everyone is kicked out at 10pm to all gather on trains, buses or taxi ranks at the same time.

      Comment


        Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
        How is the pub rule going to stop household transmission??

        In NI and Scotland, they have highlighted the family gatherings as the primary cause. Even in Dublin, where the 'wet' pubs have never re-opened, they are experiencing a spike.

        Annie
        Hi Annie
        The ‘wet pubs’ in Ireland opened up for the first time in 6 months yesterday.
        JC
        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

        Comment


          I wonder if they will force cinemas to close at 10pm too. That is now the case in the North East.

          We've visited several cinemas since they reopened and the safety measures taken in all of them have been very reassuring.

          A lot of cinemas must be struggling at present and if they are forced to ditch all the screenings that start after (say) 7pm, that would seem to be unnecessarily punitive. I'd hate to see any of them going out of business.

          Comment


            Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
            Hi Annie
            The ‘wet pubs’ in Ireland opened up for the first time in 6 months yesterday.
            JC
            So the pubs could not have been responsible for last week's spike.

            On Eire:
            https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...rise-1.4360911

            Pubs are not the problem.

            In Scotland, from the test and trace data, they are pointing the finger at younger women and house parties e.g.. baby showers.

            Annie

            Comment


              Hi all.
              Is this a new one,,,or does it just mean no standing or ordering at the bar?

              From Thursday, all pubs, bars and restaurants must be table service only and close at 10pm - but delivery services can remain open
              In my club we only have x2 bar staff at the moment,,one in the Concert Room and one in the Bar/Lounge,,,there is no way they can take orders/pull pints and deliver them to tables.

              I think the club will be closing.
              JC


              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

              Comment


                Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                Hi all.
                Is this a new one,,,or does it just mean no standing or ordering at the bar?


                In my club we only have x2 bar staff at the moment,,one in the Concert Room and one in the Bar/Lounge,,,there is no way they can take orders/pull pints and deliver them to tables.

                I think the club will be closing.
                JC

                In Scotland, my experience has been when you enter a pub, you are assigned a table and someone takes and delivers your order to the table. No standing is allowed anywhere. You are not allowed to swap tables or move them.

                Annie

                PS Could your club not employ more staff??

                Comment


                  Think it means table service only in pubs and restaurants. In some restaurants you can only order via an app on your phone

                  Had to go into town today first time for 2/3 weeks, noticed two differences from last visit, Greg’s now doing operating table service, last visit it was take away only.

                  Secondly the number of people wearing masks as they walked along the high street has vastly increased, would say now the majority.. Last visit people only seemed to be putting masks on as they entered a shop and take them off as they came out.
                  Delboy


                  Photo Albums

                  https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

                  or

                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                    In Scotland, my experience has been when you enter a pub, you are assigned a table and someone takes and delivers your order to the table. No standing is allowed anywhere. You are not allowed to swap tables or move them.

                    Annie

                    PS Could your club not employ more staff??
                    Hi Annie
                    More staff = more cost.
                    Workingmens Clubs all over the country are barely surviving.

                    JC

                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

                    Comment


                      We have a mixed system in my pub, table service tends to be quicker order on the app(if what you want is on it) and there are more than 2 in the queue.

                      Single queue at the bar, if multiple staff available they will take the next one out of the queue to a different till(card only).


                      Test and trace is telling us nothing as they are not contacting enough people in time if at all and no back tracing to source.

                      those that are volunteering contact info over 70% are house hold or visitor to household.


                      Another change that came in last week in case you missed it
                      Support bubbles are now fixed, you are stuck with the one you have,

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                        Hi Annie
                        More staff = more cost.
                        Workingmens Clubs all over the country are barely surviving.

                        JC
                        How about having a table by the bar and the drinks are delivered to that table, you then get your drinks and take to your table......table service

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                          Hi Annie
                          More staff = more cost.
                          Workingmens Clubs all over the country are barely surviving.

                          JC
                          I know that but the alternative you say is closure??

                          The members have a choice, pay a covid levy( or higher prices) for as long as required or choose to close.

                          Does your WMC not have a contingency reserve??

                          I maintained the accounts for a local club decades ago and we always allocated 10 percent of the surplus into the rainy day fund. BTW we always had a surplus.

                          You have a choice.

                          Annie

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                            I know that but the alternative you say is closure??

                            The members have a choice, pay a covid levy( or higher prices) for as long as required or choose to close.

                            Does your WMC not have a contingency reserve??

                            I maintained the accounts for a local club decades ago and we always allocated 10 percent of the surplus into the rainy day fund. BTW we always had a surplus.

                            You have a choice.

                            Annie
                            Decades ago, clubs had a lot of members and customers, these days most places are barely surviving, and if this is for 6 months that will be the end for many of them

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                              I know that but the alternative you say is closure??

                              The members have a choice, pay a covid levy( or higher prices) for as long as required or choose to close.

                              Does your WMC not have a contingency reserve??

                              I maintained the accounts for a local club decades ago and we always allocated 10 percent of the surplus into the rainy day fund. BTW we always had a surplus.

                              You have a choice.

                              Annie
                              Hi Annie.
                              Yes we do,,,it’s called Hobson Choice....ie No choice at all.

                              Yes we had a reserve,but we also had aN earlier 4 month shutdown...

                              In the case of many WMC 10% of surplus is 10% of nothing.
                              Decades ago you couldn’t get into our club after 20:00 it was full,,we were paying over £1000 for turns,,these days we have had to stop bands and only pay £100 for pub singers.

                              You really are out of touch Annie.

                              JC

                              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

                                Decades ago, clubs had a lot of members and customers, these days most places are barely surviving, and if this is for 6 months that will be the end for many of them
                                In Scotland, we are reviewing the new regulations on a 3 weekly basis.

                                I cannot comment on the position of any WMC unless I saw the accounts.

                                If their position is so precarious, why have they stayed open??

                                Ultimately the members will decide - stump up (in one form or the other) or close.

                                Annie

                                BTW The committee members could fill the extra positions required by volunteering on a temporary basis. That is how many Credit Unions survive - a mixture of volunteers and paid staff.
                                Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 22nd September 2020, 02:25 PM.

                                Comment


                                We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.


                                By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

                                Working...
                                X