• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funerals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funerals

Hi Everyone

Over the weekend, I went to one of the loveliest funerals I have ever been too. I know that sounds an odd thing to say, funerals are never really pleasant, but the lady in question was 98, and her daughter had a service for her in a crem, and then she was taken in a wicker basket by horse and carriage to a Woodland Burial ground. The sun shone, the sky was blue, the lady in question was beautiful as was her send off. It got me wondering about what I would do.

Have any of you been to any unusual send off's? ................................................Ca rol

The last funeral I went to was at a very new crem. On the wall was a large tv , The man was in his 90s but had lived a great life . There was photos of him shown throughout with a member of his family talking us through them , much more interesting than just talking about him , Never seen that before , thought it was really good ,

Comment

When our former next door neighbour passed away some years ago his funeral was held at our local crem and at the end of the service his family played “I’ll See You In My Dreams” as sung by Joe Brown at the Concert for George (Harrison) . As we all exited we all started singing along with it as our neighbour loved to sing and had a great voice. It left us all with a lovely warm feeling to know that we had paid tribute to him in that way and with that song.

Take care, Helen

Comment

I had a colleague who lived for a laugh. He could make a joke out of anything and that included his own funeral. He was diagnosed with terminal cancer but that didn't stop him. Unknown to his wife and daughters he arranged for his son to hire a kissogram, a busty blonde in a mini skirt and ample cleavage to come to the graveside, throw a red rose on the coffin and blow a kiss. His wife and daughters were flabbergasted but the son couldn't keep a straight face and they soon got the joke. I was in hospital myself at the time so to my everlasting regret was not there. I would have loved to have seen it.
        Logic will get you from A to B.
        Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

My half-sister was a keen and very good amateur photographer. Her cremation was for very close family only - in spite of the blood relationship we were distant. I attended the memorial service about a week later and some of her wonderful photographs were shown on the TV screens in the church before the service began. The photos, mainly landscapes, eased the sombre atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post
            The last funeral I went to was at a very new crem. On the wall was a large tv , The man was in his 90s but had lived a great life . There was photos of him shown throughout with a member of his family talking us through them , much more interesting than just talking about him , Never seen that before , thought it was really good ,
            That has been common practice in the USA for a while.

I have joked in the past for anyone to benefit from my will, they would have to sit through a display of all my photographs etc.

Annie

Comment

It's my sister-in-laws funeral tomorrow and she wanted her ashes scattering at sea..... we shall see

Carol
              sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by Calgray, Yorkshire View Post

It's my sister-in-laws funeral tomorrow and she wanted her ashes scattering at sea..... we shall see

Carol
                Oh Wow. Any particular place? .................................................. Carol

Comment

Somewhere near Malta Carol... She long remembers a wonderful holiday she had with her mum there. One day we will try for her.

Carol
                  sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by mauden, billingham View Post
                    My hubby’s cousin’s son died of cancer age 26 about 10 years ago. They had a church service and used the TV to show photos of Gary’s life. Very moving.
                    don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

My hubby’s cousin’s son died of cancer age 26 about 10 years ago. They had a church service and used the TV to show photos of Gary’s life. Very moving.
                      So sad when they are so young.
                      It is easier to celebrate their life, when they have had one ..............................................Caro l

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

So sad when they are so young.
                        It is easier to celebrate their life, when they have had one ..............................................Caro l
                        It is. He’d just finished uni and had his whole life to look forward too.
                        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X