• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunk By Snowflakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

It's the way of the world Philhar - like it or not.

Regardless, the recent widespread use of this phrase is not in a racist connotation. And I see JC has a different understanding post 8. He even suggests he is a 'snowflake' but I don't think he believes himself to be racist.

So, perhaps less widely known after all.

LMM
    As you can see from others posts,others are aware of the connotation. Once you are then continuing to use it becomes less acceptable in my view
    I also standby my main point which is disagree but don't label.It adds nothing to debate and whether consciously or unconsciously undermines another person's perspective.People can have differing views on different topics irrespective of their main beliefs.Labelling suggests otherwise.

Comment

Never heard that description.

LMM
      News to me, too.

Learn something new every day!

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

As you can see from others posts,others are aware of the connotation. Once you are then continuing to use it becomes less acceptable in my view
        I also standby my main point which is disagree but don't label.It adds nothing to debate and whether consciously or unconsciously undermines another person's perspective.People can have differing views on different topics irrespective of their main beliefs.Labelling suggests otherwise.
        Hardly proving 'widely known' being labelled isn't acceptable but labels are everywhere - baby boomers, millenials, junkies, weirdos (thanks DC) and so on.

Fortunately many are fading because of 'political correctness' but sadly for every one that disappears more appear. Social media must shoulder the burden for the widespread use of labels and derogatory terms. I fear the very groups that are most sensitive to them are the groups who create them.

Woke? Well I wake everyday thankfully but couldn't care less if that was directed at me - others not so.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Hardly proving 'widely known' being labelled isn't acceptable but labels are everywhere - baby boomers, millenials, junkies, weirdos (thanks DC) and so on.

Fortunately many are fading because of 'political correctness' but sadly for every one that disappears more appear. Social media must shoulder the burden for the widespread use of labels and derogatory terms. I fear the very groups that are most sensitive to them are the groups who create them.

Woke? Well I wake everyday thankfully but couldn't care less if that was directed at me - others not so.

LMM
          No definitive proof the origin is widely known or not by the forum as a sample,we'll have to agree to differ.Some people aren't bothered about being labelled but that doesn't mean those that are ,are by definition being over sensitive. At the risk of repeating myself,in debate there is no need for a label as whether unconsciously (and definitely on some occasions consciously or not it seeks to denigrate their view.

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

No definitive proof the origin is widely known or not by the forum as a sample,we'll have to agree to differ.Some people aren't bothered about being labelled but that doesn't mean those that are ,are by definition being over sensitive. At the risk of repeating myself,in debate there is no need for a label as whether unconsciously (and definitely on some occasions consciously or not it seeks to denigrate their view.
            Risk repeating yourself all you like - I never disagreed with you on labelling.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

It's the way of the world Philhar - like it or not.

Regardless, the recent widespread use of this phrase is not in a racist connotation. And I see JC has a different understanding post 8. He even suggests he is a 'snowflake' but I don't think he believes himself to be racist.

So, perhaps less widely known after all.

LMM
              Hi LMM
              I think you may have misunderstood my description in post #8.
              I never suggested that ‘snowflakes’ were racist,,,quite the opposite,,,racist’s often use the term to describe anti racists like myself.

The fact that the term is used by racist to describe those who fight the fight against racism proves the point.

Listen to the likes of Dan Hodges,Littlejohn,Farage or any member of the EDL,,even the extreme rightwing historian Andrew Roberts who is quoted in another thread.

I can’t believe anyone who purports to post on a political thread claims never to have heard the term,,,I can name at least 5 regular members who has used the term in posts in the last few months.

JC
              Last edited by jc, liverpool; 3rd September 2020, 02:12 PM.
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Never heard that description.

LMM
                Hi LMM
                Mmmmm!,,you knew the description on August 23rd....you wrote..

“Madeira of course......... (sorry if I offended any Snowflakes there!)“

JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Hi LMM
                  Mmmmm!,,you knew the description on August 23rd....you wrote..

“Madeira of course......... (sorry if I offended any Snowflakes there!)“

JC

Don't take it out of context JC.

Of course I knew the term - and used it in reference to the news that the use of the full stop in social media was upsetting to certain users.

What I didn't know was your description of the term. I don't think that you knew the original meaning either - racist. Otherwise I don't think you would have been so quick to wear the mantle (could be wrong of course).

As they say - pay attention 007!

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                    Hi LMM
                    I think you may have misunderstood my description in post #8.
                    I never suggested that ‘snowflakes’ were racist,,,quite the opposite,,,racist’s often use the term to describe anti racists like myself.

The fact that the term is used by racist to describe those who fight the fight against racism proves the point.

Listen to the likes of Dan Hodges,Littlejohn,Farage or any member of the EDL,,even the extreme rightwing historian Andrew Roberts who is quoted in another thread.

I can’t believe anyone who purports to post on a political thread claims never to have heard the term,,,I can name at least 5 regular members who has used the term in posts in the last few months.

JC
                    Hadn't seen this post before I posted a reply to your later post - he-ho.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

I wouldn't have thought that Snowflake was racist at all, the context I used was the sort of mamby-pamby type people the ones who tell you "You can't say that because you might upset someone" it's the people who readily agree with them for an easy ride I don't like, and JC you are not a snowflake because you would have a very good reason for your point other than "you can't say that ;-)

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                      best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                      agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                      X