• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunk By Snowflakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunk By Snowflakes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nal-users.html
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Has she really been sunk by 'snowflakes'?

She has listed numerous problems - unlicensed paddle boards, inflatables, dogs not being kept on leads, the National Trust not maintaining the towpath, impatient walkers, speeding bikes, runners, pushchairs, people wearing headphones...

Comment

Gosh, I thought we were booked to go to Norway next April, not Tiverton.

PS The presumably urban snowflakes would prefer to feed the horses to their cats I guess.

Comment

Do these people get up in the morning and look for someone to harass? Would the rather have a diesel barge pumping out pollution? Ridiculous!

Comment

Hi all
          She said pulling the barge was easy,,,let her pull it then.

Seems as if she believes she is entitled to the canal for herself....Selfish v Snowflake?

JC
          C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Daily Mail story,large pinch of salt required.Would be nice if some of the incidents were corroborated.The owner's own website largely blames matters related to the Covid crisis ,some of the quotes suggest words may have been put into mouths perhaps?
            It's sad when any business has to stop but I think there's a good chance an angle has been taken here.
            Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 1st September 2020, 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The snowflakes are sick in the mind people, they have always been there but they must have realized that rational people would not take them seriously, things have changed and now they are manipulated by a noisy but small percentage of anarchists, the real problem lays with cowardly people who capitulate to them like the Canals and River Trust who back the dangerously ridden bikes and the unlicenced inflatables and canoes etc over the fee-paying canal boat fraternity who all heartily agree that the Canals and River Trust is certainly not fit for purpose, which I found out when I took them to task by asking them to clean my local stretch of picturesque canal of dog poo bags they refused stating that they don't have the resources as they are a charity, so my question is why are the Canals and River Trust still doing a job which should be done by a dedicated professional management company, it was easy to complain and get an answer when those in charge were the British Waterways Board, but now who are the faceless unaccountable people we must complain to about the ineffectual C & R. T

Comment

Don’t know who you class as a Snowflake?generally it’s a term invented And used by right wingers,fascists and racist who don’t like the way reasonably people oppose them when they speak their vile nonesense.

In that sense I suppose you can call me a Snowflke,,,but I assure you my mind is not sick,,,

JC
                Last edited by jc, liverpool; 2nd September 2020, 07:56 PM.
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Don’t know who you class as a Snowflake?generally it’s a term invented And used by right wingers,fascists and racist who don’t like the way reasonably people oppose them when they speak their vile nonesense.

In that sense I suppose you can call me a Snowflke,,,but I assure you my mind is not sick,,,

JC
                  Never heard that description.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Its widely known that snowflake originated as a racist term.
                    https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...e-of-snowflake

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                      Its widely known that snowflake originated as a racist term.
                      https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...e-of-snowflake
                      Well not widely known by me - and probably the majority who use the term - in my opinion.

From your link - the second part (overly sensitive and fragile) is how I see it used (and understand it).

"In Missouri in the early 1860s, a 'snowflake' was a person who was opposed to the abolition of slavery—the implication of the name being that such people valued white people over black people. This use seems not to have endured.

Those words fell out of use while snowflake settled into the lexicon with its hushed and lovely literal meaning. In recent times, though, the word has been causing a ruckus. It's developed a new and decidedly less pleasant use as a disparaging term for a person who is seen as overly sensitive and fragile."

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Well not widely known by me - and probably the majority who use the term - in my opinion.

From your link - the second part (overly sensitive and fragile) is how I see it used (and understand it).

"In Missouri in the early 1860s, a 'snowflake' was a person who was opposed to the abolition of slavery—the implication of the name being that such people valued white people over black people. This use seems not to have endured.

Those words fell out of use while snowflake settled into the lexicon with its hushed and lovely literal meaning. In recent times, though, the word has been causing a ruckus. It's developed a new and decidedly less pleasant use as a disparaging term for a person who is seen as overly sensitive and fragile."

LMM
                        Well people I've discussed it with are more than aware of the snowflake origin and the first half of the article I quoted shows why it's perhaps not the best choice.
                        More importantly, in my view,why is there a need to put a label on someone with differing views?It may be seen as a throwaway comment,but it can easily be interpreted that such a label dismisses another person's view as invalid.
                        Disagreement is fine,derogatory labels are not ,in my view.

Comment

Well people I've discussed it with are more than aware of the snowflake origin and the first half of the article I quoted shows why it's perhaps not the best choice.
                          More importantly, in my view,why is there a need to put a label on someone with differing views?It may be seen as a throwaway comment,but it can easily be interpreted that such a label dismisses another person's view as invalid.
                          Well I knew of the origin and I HATE the term.

Annie

Comment

Morning Phil

I have to confess that I was not aware of the origin, but dont either like or use the term, it's easy to denigrate those of a different generation who take a different view on things, but that is generally how positive change comes about.

John

Comment

It's the way of the world Philhar - like it or not.

Regardless, the recent widespread use of this phrase is not in a racist connotation. And I see JC has a different understanding post 8. He even suggests he is a 'snowflake' but I don't think he believes himself to be racist.

So, perhaps less widely known after all.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X