• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banks : A Cautionary Tale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banks : A Cautionary Tale

Morning All

Long story short, last night I caught a pending unauthorised transaction on my secondary current account. The value was in excess of 100 times the normal transaction value of my 'petty cash' account.

The bank is investigating as am I.

I don't understand how a transaction of this value was processed without verification.

These 'rogues' are clever sods - but heck I resent all the extra work this has generated for me.

Be safe out there.

Annie

Awful isn't it, there just seems no let up lately .................................................. ...........Carol

Comment

I had a similar thing a while ago with my credit card. There was a payment of £3000 to Virgin Atlantic for flights. Fortunately the credit card company refunded me immediately with little fuss. A more recent incident involved my receiving and emailed receipt for a payment to Next on my Paypal account for a piece of furniture. I was invited to click if I wanted to cancel the order. I didn't, and contacted Paypal. I changed my password, and nothing ever appeared on my account. A phishing exercise I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
        I had a similar thing a while ago with my credit card. There was a payment of £3000 to Virgin Atlantic for flights. Fortunately the credit card company refunded me immediately with little fuss. A more recent incident involved my receiving and emailed receipt for a payment to Next on my Paypal account for a piece of furniture. I was invited to click if I wanted to cancel the order. I didn't, and contacted Paypal. I changed my password, and nothing ever appeared on my account. A phishing exercise I assume.
        Thanks Peter.

Luckily for me the transaction only took place yesterday morning and I noticed it last night.

The transaction would have placed me in overdraft and I don't do overdrafts.

I am busy removing the debit card details from Paypal etc

I checked my junk email folder and there is nothing iffy in there.

Annie

Comment

I use Paypal for large online transactions and have two CCs on to utilise for the payment.

It wouldn't occur to me to put a bank debit card on the account, for security reasons because I have confidence a CC company would sort out unauthorised usage. A bank? I don't want an overdraft to appear and my confidence in their immediate ability to help is, low.

Comment

Last month I had charge to my credit card a payment in Euro for an hotel in Paris ?????? Fortunately the credit card company stopped the transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
              Last month I had charge to my credit card a payment in Euro for an hotel in Paris ?????? Fortunately the credit card company stopped the transaction.
              I normally use a cc for all transactions because of section 75.

This debit card is used maybe once a month and for very small amounts.

Very odd.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I normally use a cc for all transactions because of section 75.

This debit card is used maybe once a month and for very small amounts.

Very odd.

Annie
                Sorry Annie forget to mention the credit card company contacted me to questioned the transaction

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post

Sorry Annie forget to mention the credit card company contacted me to questioned the transaction
                  In my case I spotted it - they missed it.

Annie

Comment

An update:

The money will be refunded but it transpires it was a telephone transaction as no verification was required. The cheeky sods tried again with other merchants but those payments were declined.

A flaw in the banking system??

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                    best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                    agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                    X