• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Begging Bowl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Begging Bowl

Whilst I appreciate that we are living through extremely difficult times, I cannot believe the amount of begging letters that come through my door, or phone calls asking me to donate to certain charities.

So far this week alone, I have been asked to contribute to 5 different organisations, one of which was by phone from Greenpeace.

I do give to charity on a regular basis but I am just not rich enough to donate to every cause that wants my help.

Have you been bombarded with begging bowls?
    Jill

No - can't say I have.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

We have unplugged the home phone permanently due to cold callers of all descriptions phoning over the last few months. Anyone who matters can contact me by other methods.

Comment

We have a home phone that only puts through calls that are in our phone book. Any one else is announced (if they leave a name) and we can decide if we want to take the call. Calls to my mobile I don't answer unless I know who it is. Anyone can leave a message on either phone. So, no to the question, we haven't had begging calls.

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
          We have a home phone that only puts through calls that are in our phone book. Any one else is announced (if they leave a name) and we can decide if we want to take the call. Calls to my mobile I don't answer unless I know who it is. Anyone can leave a message on either phone. So, no to the question, we haven't had begging calls.
          To be fair, most of my please for money has come through the post. It is only Greenpeace that phoned.
          Jill

Comment

Nope..they know we've spent it all on cruises..

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
              Whilst I appreciate that we are living through extremely difficult times, I cannot believe the amount of begging letters that come through my door, or phone calls asking me to donate to certain charities.

So far this week alone, I have been asked to contribute to 5 different organisations, one of which was by phone from Greenpeace.

I do give to charity on a regular basis but I am just not rich enough to donate to every cause that wants my help.

Have you been bombarded with begging bowls?
              I haven't had more than usual but then I am not surprised. Charity shops shut, no fundraisers, no collecting tins. I read that 10% of them will be bankrupted and all the rest will not meet their 2020 plans. I do not know if there is any government support package for these charities. It's a bleak outlook for anyone that needs them, as that numberr increases and the charities ability to help decreases

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                I cannot believe the amount of begging letters that come through my door, or phone calls asking me to donate to certain charities.
                Yes I've had loads too.

My landline has an answer phone - that spoils their day!
                See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

Yes I've had loads too.

My landline has an answer phone - that spoils their day!
                  They should not cold call - against GDPR.

Comment

I have had many requests from animal charities, only too happy to help, it’s one way of spending money we have saved on holidays.

Comment

Not been spending as much money as usual so decided to give a bit to various charities , I always contribute to animal charities , but gave to children too this time ,

Comment

Hi Jill
                        A caller knocked at the door once collecting for a Children's Charity,,,,,i gave them the naughty one of my daughters,,,,,,they brought her back after 15 minutes,,,,had enough of her.

Shes OK now she’s grown up,,,bless her,,

JC

​​​​​​​
                        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Uk spends £14.5 billion on foreign aid how much more do they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post
                            Uk spends £14.5 billion on foreign aid how much more do they want.
                            Let's assume you are actually asking the question.........................about the same amount again

https://fundraising.co.uk/2020/06/19...come-for-year/

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                              Hi Jill
                              A caller knocked at the door once collecting for a Children's Charity,,,,,i gave them the naughty one of my daughters,,,,,,they brought her back after 15 minutes,,,,had enough of her.

Shes OK now she’s grown up,,,bless her,,

JC
                              ​​​​​​​
                              Jill

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X