• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future GP Appointments by Video or Phone??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future GP Appointments by Video or Phone??

Hi All

From Matt Hancock

:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53592678

How will that work if you have a lump?? Will that require an initial tele appointment then a face-to-face appointment?? That is extra work??

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 30th July 2020, 02:09 PM. Reason: Typo

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    Hi All

From Matt Hancock

How will that work if you have a lumo?? Will that require an initial tele appointment then a face-to-face appointment?? That is extra work??

Annie
    What is a lumo?
    Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

What is a lumo?
      Exactly! I have googled the term and nothing medical is found.

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

What is a lumo?
        Large Unknown Medical Occasion?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Exactly! I have googled the term and nothing medical is found.

LMM
          Sorry LMM - type have now corrected.

Annie

Comment

What is a lumo?
            Same as a lump I think! If a tele appointment can be used as a triage, that could save a lot of time wasting, but there's always a risk that something could be missed.

Comment

Son had a video appointment with a surgeon last week as a follow up after some minor surgery. He had to show the incision site and it was pronounced to be healing well. He thought a video appointment was fine for that since it saved him having to travel to the hospital and wait to be seen. Obviously it is not suitable for every situation, but `it could well reduce waiting times for more serious issues..

Comment

I think that the vast majority of GP appointments could be done by video. Then if the Doctor decides that you really need to be examined, he can make the appointment.

My surgery already does onlline consultations, which leads to a call from either a GP or a Nurse Practitioner.

If it saves the time of both doctor and patient, then it has to be a good thing doesn't it?
                Jill

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                  Hi All

From Matt Hancock

How will that work if you have a lump?? Will that require an initial tele appointment then a face-to-face appointment?? That is extra work??

Annie
                  No extra work if the phone call resolves the issue. Not suitable for every person or every issue but beats waiting in the surgery to see the doctor who always seem to be running late.

We have found it has worked well during the past 4 months. My issue was resolved with a phone call. My wife’s with a phone call, a face to face consultation and a blood sample taken in the car park by the nurse followed up by a further phone call.

Comment

I think that the vast majority of GP appointments could be done by video. Then if the Doctor decides that you really need to be examined, he can make the appointment.

My surgery already does onlline consultations, which leads to a call from either a GP or a Nurse Practitioner.

If it saves the time of both doctor and patient, then it has to be a good thing doesn't it?
                    I think a GP may find this a little impersonal after a bit. OK at the moment because of possible infection but I would have thought boring after so long, with the removal of chat and being so impersonal.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

I think a GP may find this a little impersonal after a bit. OK at the moment because of possible infection but I would have thought boring after so long, with the removal of chat and being so impersonal.
                      My surgery has so many GPs that we rarely see the same ones often enough to build any sort of doctor/patient relationship.
                      Jill

Comment

Not their job to have a chat.

If people need a chat consultation they can book you in for one.

Those may be general health, followups, age Mot etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

Not their job to have a chat.

If people need a chat consultation they can book you in for one.

Those may be general health, followups, age Mot etc.
                          It is absolutely their job to have a chat.

Having worked in the NHS around doctors and medical staff for many years myself at all levels, it is just this communication that can pick up things that drop into conversation often by accident that puts up a red flag. A passing comment often about something the patient doesn't realise is an issue, can lead to spotting health issues at an early stage. Mental health issues, depression, early signs of cancer can all be spotted through chat when the patient has come in for something different. The doctor has to fill in medical records when taking case history and often this is the time this will happen. Video conferencing is very much about dealing with the issue raised and getting people off the video as quickly as possible. Doctors can also tell quite a bit about somebodies health through general demeanour when they walk into a surgery. Mental health issues can be spotted, general colour of skin, etc.

Chat picks up and spots health issues early. So, yes this is absolutely the doctor's job, especially as we are so poor in this country about picking up serious health issues early already, so whilst video links have their place, it is just another way that could definitely delay early diagnosis of disease or mental health issue.

Comment

Without getting too technical or personal, I’m having twice daily injections of anticoagulant to relieve the symptoms of pulmonary embolisms. I developed a lump at an injection site so called the GP. I got a call back and the doc said he’d do a video call. I hadn’t a clue how this worked, but he talked me through it and after studying my lump on screen pronounced it a heamatoma, said it would come out in a bruise and call back if I was still worried about it. A bit awkward and embarrassing but the matter was dealt with quickly. You don’t get too many new experiences at my time of life!

Comment

It is absolutely their job to have a chat.

Having worked in the NHS around doctors and medical staff for many years myself at all levels, it is just this communication that can pick up things that drop into conversation often by accident that puts up a red flag. A passing comment often about something the patient doesn't realise is an issue, can lead to spotting health issues at an early stage. Mental health issues, depression, early signs of cancer can all be spotted through chat when the patient has come in for something different. The doctor has to fill in medical records when taking case history and often this is the time this will happen. Video conferencing is very much about dealing with the issue raised and getting people off the video as quickly as possible. Doctors can also tell quite a bit about somebodies health through general demeanour when they walk into a surgery. Mental health issues can be spotted, general colour of skin, etc.

Chat picks up and spots health issues early. So, yes this is absolutely the doctor's job, especially as we are so poor in this country about picking up serious health issues early already, so whilst video links have their place, it is just another way that could definitely delay early diagnosis of disease or mental health issue.
                              I 'm with you Lucy, I remember when the NHS came into being, I also remember visits day and night and weekends, not now though . I am not technical and certainly don't want to be diagnoised over the phone. I want to see the doctor face to face not try and take snapshots of personal places to try and get diaognised. My mother was a nursing sister and she would have been horrified by this suggestion, she said the doctor could tell so many things about you by just looking at you and asking the right questions. No thanks not for me me and if they do I shall insist on a face to face consultation,
                              sigpic

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X