• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phantom of the Opera to close

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom of the Opera to close

Hi All

After 34 years Phantom is to close.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-End-run.html

Not my favourite musical but a big loss to London

Makes you wonder how many London or provincial theatres will survive?

One less reason to visit London.

Annie

A few weeks ago there were reports that the Royal Albert Hall was in danger of closing for good, and it needed urgent financial support to prevent this. However, I think the iconic London venues, in a world centre for tourism and the arts, will be saved.

It is provincial theatre, film and arts that I mostly fear for.

Like many others, our city's main theatre relies totally on the panto season to act as a cash cow for the rest of the year. Pantos are unlikely this year, and although there has been a rescue package announced, I don't think anyone knows yet how this will work, or how thinly the money will be spread.

Some smaller venues and community enterprises have already gone into administration. It would be awful to see a rise in provincial cultural wastelands.

Comment

Andrew Lloyd Webber has control of quite a few London theatres. He was on TV recently talking about the effect that Lockdown has has had on the performing arts. No doubt he it is part of a damage limitation for him.
      Jill

Comment

We are keen concert and opera goers, not so much musicals. All are off into next year. Its not just cruise refunds that take a time, long pre booked ticket money has been a wait too.
        So many arts venues, large and small and local are in trouble. I sympathise with the artistes and back room staff for whom all is so uncertain and times in lockdown have been hard.
        We have been spoiled by plentiful international streamed performances but the sound, vision, company and atmosphere of a live event are just not there.

Comment

Originally posted by mags, cardiff View Post
          We are keen concert and opera goers, not so much musicals. All are off into next year. Its not just cruise refunds that take a time, long pre booked ticket money has been a wait too.
          So many arts venues, large and small and local are in trouble. I sympathise with the artistes and back room staff for whom all is so uncertain and times in lockdown have been hard.
          We have been spoiled by plentiful international streamed performances but the sound, vision, company and atmosphere of a live event are just not there.
          Could not agree more.

Last October, I was lucky enough to see a performance of Turandot (the Nessum Dorma opera ) at the New York Met and was just thinking if/when I will get the chance to repeat.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
            Hi All

Not my favourite musical but a big loss to London

Makes you wonder how many London or provincial theatres will survive?

One less reason to visit London.

Annie
            Definitely an icon of the West End, we saw it there many years ago and another time when it was on UK tour. It will be sadly missed.

I use an Echo Show as a digital radio and info device, but I was checking out all the videos available on it. Selecting the Musicals option, I spent much of last Saturday afternoon watching the film of Phantom. I have always loved the music, having an interest in keyboards, but found the film a tad creepy. Gerard Butler played the lead role.

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle View Post
              A few weeks ago there were reports that the Royal Albert Hall was in danger of closing for good, and it needed urgent financial support to prevent this. However, I think the iconic London venues, in a world centre for tourism and the arts, will be saved.

It is provincial theatre, film and arts that I mostly fear for.

Like many others, our city's main theatre relies totally on the panto season to act as a cash cow for the rest of the year. Pantos are unlikely this year, and although there has been a rescue package announced, I don't think anyone knows yet how this will work, or how thinly the money will be spread.

Some smaller venues and community enterprises have already gone into administration. It would be awful to see a rise in provincial cultural wastelands.
              I read recently the Royal Albert Hall lost £14million in the first 3 months of lockdown. How it managed to do that goodness only knows as it doesn’t have to pay rent to anyone.

Comment

We tend to visit London at least once a year for a minimum of 4 days. We try to do one new cultural event, one theatre show (or ballet, or opera), a couple of good restaurant visits (Rules, The Ivy etc.), a trip down the Thames on the Clipper to Greenwich Market and a few pub visits. We normally travel by train for the four and a half hour journey and stay in the Savoy.

But not this year. No point.

No major holiday either. Cunard cancelled it.

Fortunately we have the caravan near Portpatrick in SW Scotland. I'll be taking Friday off this week to enable us to travel there on Thursday evening. One hour forty five minutes to get there.

At least we'll save money this year.

Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by BigMac, Glasgow View Post
                  We tend to visit London at least once a year for a minimum of 4 days. We try to do one new cultural event, one theatre show (or ballet, or opera), a couple of good restaurant visits (Rules, The Ivy etc.), a trip down the Thames on the Clipper to Greenwich Market and a few pub visits. We normally travel by train for the four and a half hour journey and stay in the Savoy.

But not this year. No point.

No major holiday either. Cunard cancelled it.

Fortunately we have the caravan near Portpatrick in SW Scotland. I'll be taking Friday off this week to enable us to travel there on Thursday evening. One hour forty five minutes to get there.

At least we'll save money this year.

Stewart
                  I think many of us have enjoyed London Theatre long weekends in the past.

I have been known to book as many as 3 or 4 shows in a weekend.

No London theatre - I will not travel.

Annie

Comment

Stand up comedy has been one of the few arts that has been popular enough to need subsidies.

venues are struggling about time they got a share of the cake.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53336131

Comment

Could not agree more.

Last October, I was lucky enough to see a performance of Turandot (the Nessum Dorma opera ) at the New York Met and was just thinking if/when I will get the chance to repeat.

Annie
                      How did you get there? TA cruise?

Comment

Hi All

I saw it when it was new, with Michael Crawford. I did plan to see it again, but never did.

The 25th Anniversary (Albert Hall) DVD is REALLY good, if anybody needs to see it
                        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                          I read recently the Royal Albert Hall lost £14million in the first 3 months of lockdown. How it managed to do that goodness only knows as it doesn’t have to pay rent to anyone.
                          I think they have had to refund millions in ticket sales for cancelled events, and probably can't sell tickets for the future as they are unsure about reopening.

I don't know the venue, but they must also be losing income from catering and bar sales, and venue hire if they hire out rooms for conferences or similar events. I guess it all soon mounts up!

Comment

Madrid Opera house is open and the Fence in Venice will have performances in September.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by mags, cardiff View Post
                              It's not just the venues, be they big or small, but also the actors. and actresses, both current and budding, the ballet, dancers, set designers, producers etc etc - the whole shebang. The effects, unless there is huge government support at all levels, could be catastrophic for the whole arts industry.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X