• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's so quiet...................

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi Del
    After nearly 11 years on the forum and having enjoyed,with others,many many enjoyably political debates.
    Your idea of hiding us out of the way from sensitive eyes has made me feel very unwanted

I that’s the case and it where to happen I would leave the forum with great memories but a heavy heart and have to bid you and other members a fond farewell.
    JC
    I have no objection to anybody Including yourself starting a political thread and those members who wish to contribute can do so as I have done on many occasions.

Also have no wish for you or anybody to leave the forum for posting such threads, but at times it does seem the political threads seem not only to dominate the Newest Topics list, but at times invade non political threads.

if you want to quote figures, 8 games threads all of which have had contributions today, each of those threads having in excess of 12,900 posts and
    217,900 views. Did them no harm or loss of posts when they removed them from newest topics.
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 27th July 2020, 09:29 PM.
    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

I have no objection to anybody Including yourself starting a political thread and those members who wish to contribute can do so as I have done on many occasions.

Also have no wish for you or anybody to leave the forum for posting such threads, but at times it does seem the political threads seem not only to dominate the Newest Topics list, but at times invade non political threads.

Hi Del
      The point I made in an earlier post was,.....
      Is it only political posts that invade non political threads?
      Is it not the case that many threads deviate from the points made in the OP.

Why is there not the same outcry.?

The question on this thread was why is the forum so quiet.
      You chimed in with you think the forum layout should change,,,isn’t that off the topic.

Put your post on a New Topic on how to improve the forum or tech sub forum.

See what I did there.
      JC
      C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
      "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

if you want to quote figures, 8 games threads all of which have had contributions today, each of those threads having in excess of 12,900 posts and
        217,900 views. Did them no harm or loss of posts when they removed them from newest topics.
        The Games Threads started when??

They therefore cannot be counted in newest topics??

If people want to drown out political threads, start some other threads - simple.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
          https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/new-topics

Takes you to all the latest stuff.

Best way to use these forums.

A lot of my FB groups degenerated to refunds so I stopped bothering.

But your link takes you to the newest activity list, included in that list is any activity on the games threads, my method of logging in avoids those threads,

My method shows any new topics (excluding games) and notifies me of any new contributions and name of contributer to topics I have previously contributed to.
          Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Rain !! It’s been horrendous here today. Golf course closed. High winds forecast for tomorrow afternoon.

it would be nice to discuss cruising. Hopefully that will happen soon but I won’t hold my breath as it looks like long haul.
            I’m scunnered with al this rain.

my daughters and I went out for a meal to celebrate my mammys 100th birthday. She died 26 years ago but we thought we’d celebrate it for her with Loads of food, wine, cocktails and shots! 🙈😂😂 there was an outside area with a cover, roof only, and they tried to put us out there when it was teeming down. They tried it again with a 20 something group! The look on their faces was a picture. Needless to say they refused as one of them said the rain was going sideways! 😂😂😂😂 so funny.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

I’m scunnered with al this rain.

my daughters and I went out for a meal to celebrate my mammys 100th birthday. She died 26 years ago but we thought we’d celebrate it for her with Loads of food, wine, cocktails and shots! 🙈😂😂 there was an outside area with a cover, roof only, and they tried to put us out there when it was teeming down. They tried it again with a 20 something group! The look on their faces was a picture. Needless to say they refused as one of them said the rain was going sideways! 😂😂😂😂 so funny.
              Amazing how quickly we forget the lovely warm and dry weather we had for most of lockdown.

This summer will be remembered for the summer we didn't have (amongst more important things of course).

LMM

Lawnmowerman

Comment

But your link takes you to the newest activity list, included in that list is any activity on the games threads, my method of logging in avoids those threads,

My method shows any new topics (excluding games) and notifies me of any new contributions and name of contributer to topics I have previously contributed to.
                Hi Del
                Your post is off-topic,,,,easy to do isn’t it.

JC

Comment

Hi Del
                  Your post is off-topic,,,,easy to do isn’t it.

JC
                  Yes it is easy nothing wrong in that, that’s how posts often naturally develop, but there does seem to be a tendency by some posters, often the same posters, who try to turn every thread into a political debate.

You were the first person on this thread to mention politics #5 followed by your next 3/4/ posts, then you went in for the kill in trying to entice JR by attacking the government, before you moved the post to a new thread under the Politics heading where it should have been in the first place.

If members want to debate politics fine, but do it under the politics heading and stop trying to hi jack every other thread and turn into a political or anti government thread.
                  Delboy

Photo Albums

or

Comment

I agree Delboy.
                    Threads frequently go off topic and often this adds value to the thread, but when they do, they rarely involve name calling, jeering at well known figures or definitive lines being drawn between members partisan thoughts and values [tipping threads excepted!!!].

When threads start veering off into anything politically motivated, any or all three can become involved. Knocking seven bells out of fellow members political leanings is a sport for a few and that's absolutely fine, but do it in the political sub forum. That's what it's there for and no one is stopping or stifling political debate there, just as golf balls lost or found won't be boring the politicos there either.

Comment

Hi all
                      Its amazing the number of members who say they have no interest in politics,yet when you look back on the political threads they pop up in every one.
                      JC
                      There's not interested in airing one's political leanings and wanting to keep out of one's thoughts being torn apart in an often sneering way, and then there's adding sensible thoughts and suggestions to a topic eg face masks, which is posted in the political sub forum. So yes, members not interested in political debate will add to a thread in the political sub forum.

What you won't find is those members putting themselves forward for a mauling which seems to be almost personal, which hopefully, a debate on face masks won't provoke.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

It is amazing how the world has changed in these last 4 months.

When I think I was looking forward to my cruise at the start of March, having packed my cases and then it all fell apart. I cannot see it getting back to normal cruising for a very long time. If the cruise companies are limiting the number of customers onboard in order to start cruising again, not sure an empty ship will have the same feeling and atmosphere. As the weeks go by and there does not appear to be much progress in restarting cruising, I think some of the dates given by cruise companies look unrealistic and if restarting it will not be anything like the same.
                        I'm afraid I agree with you. The CEO of Carnival who have, I believe, 9 cruise lines under their banner was recently asked when he thought cruising would return to normal. He thought mid 2022 - if we're lucky. Mrs M and I have no interest in regimented, half empty cruises to nowhere, which looks like being the offering for some time to come so we'll have to take our holiday jollies elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool
                          I don’t know what posts you are reading,,but I rarely see any sneering,mauling and I certainly don’t think politicians should be exempt from being jeered at because they are a well known figure.

Thats called deference I believe or know your place,,,,,,I don’t do either.
                          JC
                          You see what you see and I see what I see.

You have the political arena which is absolutely fine. Members can either join in, or not but if they do and if their stance in the thread doesn't agree with yours, then at least they can't say they didn't expect a vociferous comeback.

Sorted.

Comment

This is a full version of a post vanishing into the ether......

I don’t know what posts you are reading,,but I rarely see any sneering,mauling and I certainly don’t think politicians should be exempt from being jeered at because they are a well known figure.
                            That respect has to be earned,,not deferred to because of some perceived class status.

There are 42 posts on this thread,I believe only two answered LMM (the OP) question.
                            So much for the off-topic argument.

There has also been plenty of times where non political posters have joined a Political debate To simply derail the debate with some inane post having nothing to do with politics in its composition.
                            Done deliberately I believe,,I don’t think political thread devotees have gone that low.

JC

Comment

This is a full version of a post vanishing into the ether......

That respect has to be earned,,not deferred to because of some perceived class status.

There are 42 posts on this thread,I believe only two answered LMM (the OP) question.
                              So much for the off-topic argument.

There has also been plenty of times where non political posters have joined a Political debate To simply derail the debate with some inane post having nothing to do with politics in its composition.
                              Done deliberately I believe,,I don’t think political thread devotees have gone that low.

JC
                              JC

I have joined in a political thread because I had something to say, which I hope was relevant. No derailing, deliberate or otherwise, involved.

Off topic is fine. If anyone wants to bring a thread back to its origins, they will. I don't see the problem.

As for answering the original title, surely a thread with so many posts is answering the thread's own title. It's not so quiet here!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

You see what you see and I see what I see.

You have the political arena which is absolutely fine. Members can either join in, or not but if they do and if their stance in the thread doesn't agree with yours, then at least they can't say they didn't expect a vociferous comeback.

Sorted.
                                Mmmm!!, What was that about personal attacks..

vociferous, clamorous, blatant, strident, boisterous, obstreperous mean so loud or insistent as to compel attention. vociferous implies a vehement shouting or calling out. vociferous cries of protest and outrage clamorous may imply insistency as well as vociferousness in demanding or protesting.

Plenty to choose from there,can you be a bit more specific.
                                I could maybe accept...Strident but I can’t see what you see in the rest.
                                JC

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X