• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garfield, Waterlooville
    replied
    Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Same here JC. These problems are not nationwide.

We went down to the sea front this morning. We sat under the shade of a tree with our coffee brought from home and watched the world go by. Everyone was observing the distancing rules and someone was walking round picking up bits of litter (not that there was much). This part of the country seemed a nice place to be today.
    It is....but then I'm biased.

Garf
    Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 13th July 2020, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Delboy, Essex
    replied
    Our tip is open, I understand long queues though.

Our bins are still emptied weekly and our daughters brown garden waste bin which we also use, she lives in next street, is emptied every two weeks as usual.

We have a daily postal delivery in our cul-de-sac.

Most people seem very friendly even where there are queues, although difficult to have a conversation at 2 metres+. Do not do a lot of driving.

During our weekly shop at Morrison’s last week a number of people having meal in restaurant, tables were spread out and separated by plastic screens.

My overall impression was for many, things were getting back to normal. I did think a few people who were wearing masks thought they were holier than those not wearing one, also the wearing of one gave those the right to stretch over you to get items off the shelf.
    Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 13th July 2020, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Yogini, Waterlooville
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
    Tips have been closed, bins not emptied and the post is almost none existent. I’m supposed to get my chemo appointments in the post. How, when there is no post? Bins emptied once a month. Is this the pattern for our future?
    Tips are open locally, with a booking system. The local authority hasn't missed a collection yet.

I am receiving less post, but most of that is flyers/adverts.

Leave a comment:

• Smith7
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi Judith
    I would ask..why?
    Our tip is open (with huge queues) bins are emptied as usual (black,blue and green every 2 weeks)...and we get a post every day.

JC
    Same here JC. These problems are not nationwide.

We went down to the sea front this morning. We sat under the shade of a tree with our coffee brought from home and watched the world go by. Everyone was observing the distancing rules and someone was walking round picking up bits of litter (not that there was much). This part of the country seemed a nice place to be be today.

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post

Hi Carol, I totally agree with you. I’ve just returned from a shopping trip to buy food at M&S. Hardly a soul in the non food section of the store which is probably due to the cafe not being open. The cafe seems to be a meeting place for the local retired and pre lockdown was always full. The store is set in a small shopping mall and I was disgusted to see several discarded masks and rubber gloves strewn outside Boots, Asda and Iceland. Rubbish bins are located everywhere in the mall, but why walk ten paces when you can throw your used PPE on the floor?

Social distancing has gone out of the window, as too many people are more interested in gazing at their mobiles than keeping their distance. I was pleased to see that at least 50% of shoppers were wearing masks. A large proportion of local people use buses to get in to town and as face coverings are mandatory on public transport, this could be the reason why, for many, masks were the order of the day.
    That behaviour is so unhygienic.

No wonder I shop on-line - it is safer.

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 13th July 2020, 02:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Blondie, Oxford
    replied
    Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
    Hi Everyone

I think we should all go back into lockdown, take a time out, and reflect on everything.

I feel like I have emerged into another world People seem to have forgotten how to drive, forgotten what a bin is for, patience seems to have vanished, a very much an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude

I'm not liking 2020 one bit!!
    Hi Carol, I totally agree with you. I’ve just returned from a shopping trip to buy food at M&S. Hardly a soul in the non food section of the store which is probably due to the cafe not being open. The cafe seems to be a meeting place for the local retired and pre lockdown was always full. The store is set in a small shopping mall and I was disgusted to see several discarded masks and rubber gloves strewn outside Boots, Asda and Iceland. Rubbish bins are located everywhere in the mall, but why walk ten paces when you can throw your used PPE on the floor?

Social distancing has gone out of the window, as too many people are more interested in gazing at their mobiles than keeping their distance. I was pleased to see that at least 50% of shoppers were wearing masks. A large proportion of local people use buses to get in to town and as face coverings are mandatory on public transport, this could be the reason why, for many, masks were the order of the day.

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
    Tips have been closed, bins not emptied and the post is almost none existent. I’m supposed to get my chemo appointments in the post. How, when there is no post? Bins emptied once a month. Is this the pattern for our future?
    Hi Judith
    I would ask..why?
    Our tip is open (with huge queues) bins are emptied as usual (black,blue and green every 2 weeks)...and we get a post every day.

JC

Leave a comment:

• Wansbrough, North Somerset
    replied
    Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Hi Carol

One of my sisters and I were only reflecting on this yesterday.

We watched several adults trying to cram their rubbish into overflowing bins, create an overspill and walk away from it.

We held onto our rubbish and disposed of it at home. It is not hard.

Annie
    Not to mention the overflowing dog poo bins...... Its so much easier to just chuck it on the pile that's already spilling all over the pavement than to take it home and put it in your own bin.

How does that saying go?

The Two Most Common Elements in the Universe Are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied

Leave a comment:

• annie, Glasgow
    replied
    Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
    Hi Everyone

I think we should all go back into lockdown, take a time out, and reflect on everything.

I feel like I have emerged into another world People seem to have forgotten how to drive, forgotten what a bin is for, patience seems to have vanished, a very much an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude

I'm not liking 2020 one bit!!
    Hi Carol

One of my sisters and I were only reflecting on this yesterday.

We watched several adults trying to cram their rubbish into overflowing bins, create an overspill and walk away from it.

We held onto our rubbish and disposed of it at home. It is not hard.

Annie

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm, Essex
    replied
    Hi Carol, I do find it VERY worrying that after 3.5 month of lockdown many people seem to have "lost the plot" completely - present company accepted.

However the "I'm aright attitude" is not new, it dates back to 1979 -1990 in my opinion. I'm not going to talk politics now, but I personally trace it all back to one particular Prime Minister.

Other may disagree?

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X