• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaii

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawaii

Anyone here, been to Hawaii?

It's on my bucket list. I'm not sure why? Maybe it has something to do with Steve McGarrett and Danno?

Somebody told me that Honolulu was not very nice. Well the name sounds great!
    See my cruise blog: HERE

I haven't been, but I would love too, I'm sure some parts of it aren't that great, but then some of it is going to be amazing. Hopefully, one day I will get the chance to find out .............................................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
      Anyone here, been to Hawaii?

It's on my bucket list. I'm not sure why? Maybe it has something to do with Steve McGarrett and Danno?

Somebody told me that Honolulu was not very nice. Well the name sounds great!
      Guilty and I know I am not alone. I encountered Hawaii on my Trans Pacific cruise from Vancouver to Sydney.

In fact did a certain forum member not meet their OH in Hawaii??

Honolulu is not the best thing about Hawaii. I was just browsing through my photographs of Hawaii the other week.

The National Park Service is in charge of Pearl Harbour and does it very well.

Annie

Comment

Son and his family were there in early March and had to cut their holiday short by a few days. They were not very impressed with Honolulu, but enjoyed two other islands the names of which I can’t remember.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Guilty and I know I am not alone. I encountered Hawaii on my Trans Pacific cruise from Vancouver to Sydney.

In fact did a certain forum member not meet their OH in Hawaii??

Honolulu is not the best thing about Hawaii. I was just browsing through my photographs of Hawaii the other week.

The National Park Service is in charge of Pearl Harbour and does it very well.

Annie
          You bet your sweet bippy I met my hubby there! 😃. My sister, four friends and I went there 38 years ago and had a week in Honolulu and about 5 days In Maui. It was fabulous and I wasn’t the only one to meet her husband there. My husband’s friend fell for one of my sister’s friends and they got married two years after we did. We did all sorts of touristy stuff like the Kodak hula dancing show, the Dole pineapple factory tour, the Polynesian Cultural Centre and Pearl Harbour. Pearl Harbour was truly moving and impressive. Maui was gorgeous and we did an early morning (more like middle of the night) drive up to the observatory at Haleakala volcanic crater to watch the sunrise. We froze our tushies off but it was just amazingly beautiful to see. The hotel very kindly provided us with blankets when they knew where we were heading that morning as they were well aware how cold it is up there. Go for,it Malcolm!

Take care and stay well. Helen🌴🏝⛱

Comment

A Hawaii cruise is on my bucket list and like you Malcolm I don’t know why. 🤷🏻*♀️ However I know for hubby it’s because of the bounty hunter Dog! 🙈😂😂 I’d love to see Pearl Harbour. I hope to get there one day.
            Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 14th July 2020, 04:38 PM.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post

You bet your sweet bippy I met my hubby there! 😃. My sister, four friends and I went there 38 years ago and had a week in Honolulu and about 5 days In Maui. It was fabulous and I wasn’t the only one to meet her husband there. My husband’s friend fell for one of my sister’s friends and they got married two years after we did. We did all sorts of touristy stuff like the Kodak hula dancing show, the Dole pineapple factory tour, the Polynesian Cultural Centre and Pearl Harbour. Pearl Harbour was truly moving and impressive. Maui was gorgeous and we did an early morning (more like middle of the night) drive up to the observatory at Haleakala volcanic crater to watch the sunrise. We froze our tushies off but it was just amazingly beautiful to see. The hotel very kindly provided us with blankets when they knew where we were heading that morning as they were well aware how cold it is up there. Go for,it Malcolm!

Take care and stay well. Helen🌴🏝⛱
              What a romantic way to meet your husband. Wonderful memories Helen. 💕
              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

You bet your sweet bippy I met my hubby there!
                Thanks Helen for the advice, but I'm NOT in the market for s husband.

There seems to be only three main ways to do it:

Fly and a land resort

Fly and take NCL's 7 night island hoping cruise

Or take a 14 night Princess cruise from America's West Coast (return).

NCL packs a lot into 7 nights. However most reviews say the ships food and service is not so good because the crew are American!

See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

Thanks Helen for the advice, but I'm NOT in the market for s husband.

There seems to be only three main ways to do it:

Fly and a land resort

Fly and take NCL's 7 night island hoping cruise

Or take a 14 night Princess cruise from America's West Coast (return).

NCL packs a lot into 7 nights. However most reviews say the ships food and service is not so good because the crew are American!

Downside for any planned trip to Hawaii from the UK is the very long flight to either LAX or HON wearing a face mask.

Annie

Comment

Hawaii was on our itinerary from LA to Auckland. Our first stop was Honolulu where we took a trip to Diamond Head Crater, which I considered well worth the effort. It is possible to take a guided hike through the crater, but one would need to be younger and fitter than me! The trip included a drive along the coast with photo stops including o e to view a spectacular blow hole. We left the bus in town and after a little retail therapy walked back to the ship.

next port was Nawiliwili on Kauai. We decided on the scenic drive and boat trip at the Wailua Heritage Trail. The boat was a bit basic, but we had Hawaiian entertainment on board. The walk along the trail was beautiful and we saw a wild boar, which fortunately ignored us.

the next port should have been Lanaii, but the swell was too much for the tenders.

Our last stop in Hawaii was Kona, where the coffee comes from. We went to the coffee museum (don’t bother) and to a beautiful wooden church that had been painted by an Italian priest to remind him of the highly decorated churches in Italy. The views from the church were worth the trip by themselves. We had one last stop at a visitor centre on the beach before saying good bye to Hawaii.

would I do it again? Yes, in a heartbeat. The scenery is beautiful where ever you look and the people are very friendly. Shopping is a pleasure and the ABC souvenir shops are cheap and cheerful.

next stop was Kiribati, but that’s another story

Comment

I thought I posed early(maybe fell asleep before pressing submit) but don't see it.

It is a very long way so needs combining with something else over 3-4 weeks time and budget permitting.

Pre covid there was a South pacific option they may happen again.

Combine with Alaska start/end of season with a relocation. that stop at Hawaii then combine land &| NCL.

Comment

I've stayed in Waikiki years ago a simply stunning beach.I did visit Pearl Harbor which I found a harrowing experience.
                        On a brighter note,I loved Waikiki beach.One day I saw Goldie Hawn pushing her very young daughter in a pushchair wearing a bikini.As a 17 year old it left a deep impression on me😀
                        Waikiki is famous for surfing, so I thought I'd give it a try.I hired a board for an hour which was a bit optimistic. Towards the end of the hour I had managed to stand up on the thing without falling off.Along came a wave and I thought this was my moment.You can guess what happened...
                        I tried to look cool carrying the board back which is quite difficult when you have swallowed most of the sea.
                        ​​​.I loved Hawaii though,its a beautiful place.
                        I hope you get to do it Malcolm and have a good time

Comment

I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii.
                          if you get the chance go for it!

Im Steve McGarrets biggest fan (the Alex O’Laughlin version)

Comment

Originally posted by cymrucruiser View Post
                            I’ve always wanted to go to Hawaii.
                            if you get the chance go for it!

Im Steve McGarrets biggest fan (the Alex O’Laughlin version)
                            No you’re not! My friend Karen is! 😆 My best friend in NY is possibly the worlds biggest H50 fan EVER. She adores Alex O’laughlin and co and makes no secret of it. A few months ago I caught an episode of the original H50 on tv and it was soooooooo corny it was unreal, especially when you saw the Hawaiian police officers in suits and ties looking so prim and proper. 😜

Take care and stay well. Helen

Comment

No you’re not! My friend Karen is! 😆 My best friend in NY is possibly the worlds biggest H50 fan EVER. She adores Alex O’laughlin and co and makes no secret of it. A few months ago I caught an episode of the original H50 on tv and it was soooooooo corny it was unreal, especially when you saw the Hawaiian police officers in suits and ties looking so prim and proper. 😜

Take care and stay well. Helen
                              Sorry I’ll argue that one Helen. He’s my guilty pleasure, I cried watching the last ever episode (which is saved on my sky planner) 😩😂

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X