• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Pub Re-openings be Delayed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Pub Re-openings be Delayed

Hi All

In light of the experience in Florida, Texas and California, should the re-openings of pubs be delayed for another 2 weeks??

Annie

Don’t think two weeks would make any difference. If a pub is meeting all the criteria and enforcing the rules they should be allowed to open. Any breaches of the rules and they should be closed immediately. Even with no pubs open young people are congregating in large groups ignoring social distancing. They think they are invincible and do not realise, or perhaps don’t care that they might take the virus to parents and grandparents.

Comment

As far as I am concerned I will not be visiting pubs until we, and the rest of the world, have got on top of things. I will not be going anywhere where I am not in control of my immediate surroundings, particularly as there is now so much irresponsibility on display everywhere. Alcohol increases irresponsibility!

It seems to be OK for the young to gather in groups drinking. If they get it they tend to have a mild dose and don't even realise it. But not OK if they then pass it on to a parent, grandparent, older colleague or anyone "in the street" who then gets the "full monty".

Comment

Herd immunity perhaps?

Doesn't bother us. We're nowhere near paranoid, or even too worried but, no pubs and no restaurant, and no church for me, for a long time to come.

We know the friends whom we can trust, either to enjoy a meal in the garden with as we did here last week, or coffee inside a house as I have done this morning. Family members who are back at school or the office, won't be coming inside and don't expect to. I've bought more garden furniture and as long as it's not raining, we will be entertaining, at home, outside. I'll even supply the hot water bottles and might even buy a patio heater, but outside it will be.

Comment

Well we have booked a meal at our local Carvery for next Monday.
          Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            Herd immunity perhaps?

Doesn't bother us. We're nowhere near paranoid, or even too worried but, no pubs and no restaurant, and no church for me, for a long time to come.

We know the friends whom we can trust, either to enjoy a meal in the garden with as we did here last week, or coffee inside a house as I have done this morning. Family members who are back at school or the office, won't be coming inside and don't expect to. I've bought more garden furniture and as long as it's not raining, we will be entertaining, at home, outside. I'll even supply the hot water bottles and might even buy a patio heater, but outside it will be.
            More or less our policy too but any form of garden heater (especially gas) is not easy to come by nowadays. Ramping up the prices of those that are available is another factor. We’ve bought a new gazebo (roughly £70 more than it should be) but it’s decent and does the job. Tried to get myself a Firepit but most have sold out, so using 2 small electric fan heaters to boost the temperature when required. Weather here has been abysmal over the past couple of days. I think summer has passed.

Comment

Problem is we are still one size fits all for lots of places where people gather, we don't need to be.

Look at the DIY store, packed when they opened, no where else to go and jobs backed up now back to normal empty most of the time.

Sure there are busy places but how many shops, pubs and restaurants would have been glad(before covid) to have a enough customers that groups had to be closer than 2m?

Same with the cinema they have plenty of screenings where they would be glad to have people, many screening they just get those with unlimited passes.

AS long as the popular places play by the rules and turn people away when full those punters can take their business to the less busy places or change their times.

My spoons had plenty of hours that were easy to be more than 2m apart, they had changed the layout the week before they got closed and it was working.

There is another bar close by that would never be busy(expensive) and a relatively new fancy restaurant that just needs people to spread out during the week to have the similar weekly level of business as before which was concentrated at the weekend.

Comment

All the pubs round my way have to be booked, and from what I've been told, you have to book a table, you can't stand.
                I can't see that you are going to catch it anymore from a pub, than you would standing in a supermarket. ......................... ...Carol

Comment

don't get the 3m £50 party tents.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post
                    All the pubs round my way have to be booked, and from what I've been told, you have to book a table, you can't stand.
                    I can't see that you are going to catch it anymore from a pub, than you would standing in a supermarket. ......................... ...Carol
                    There is a subtle difference.
                    I go to M&S or Waitrose when it's quiet. In and out in less than 10/15 mins and everyone observes the niceties of social distancing. If I have to queue, I don't bother as that indicates it's 'busy', plus, it seems to me most customers have a similar approach to the whole process, as I.

In a pub, I can't guarantee that and if the crowds waiting to go ''shopping'' are anything to go by with the easing of lockdown, I don't want to be part of it.

Personally, I don't think I'll catch it, I really don't and I quite realise we're lucky with a large garden etc in which to meet friends, but I don't see the point of joining the herd when we can have an equally good time at home and in possibly, a safer environment.

Comment

Will probably be in the pub Saturday or Sunday. Go for a walk over the downs and then stop for a drink on the way home. Both pubs I pass have large gardens and very infrequently have there ever been too many customers to make social distancing impossible, usually if there is a band on or Sunday dinner. So avoid those I'll be fine.
                      Don't understand why they are opening them up on a Saturday, would seem far more sensible to start on a weekday (Monday) and let the pubs get used to the rules and how to enforce them before the weekend

Comment

You don't drink from a Covid infected glass in a supermarket.

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                          Herd immunity perhaps?

I feel the same. We have outdoor get togethers with friends and family and have no desire to go to pubs or restaurants at the moment. Places of worship have reopened, but the Anglican Church is continuing with on line services until September. We miss Sunday services, but since singing, communion and coffee hours are banned it wouldn’t be the same anyway.

Sheila

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post

You don't drink from a Covid infected glass in a supermarket.
                            Garf
                            Why would it be infected? It will be clean from a dishwasher!! .................................................C arol

Comment

Why would it be infected? It will be clean from a dishwasher!! .................................................C arol
                              The glass may have been handled by an asymptomatic indvdual after leaving the dishwasher.

Some of the recent spike in cases in Australia has been attributed to sharing a cigarette lighter, passing glasses or salt cellars around.

The recent spike in US cases is attributed to drinking in bars.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X