• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food For Thought?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
    As I've said...the virus seems to be losing it's lethality and dying out and I'm wondering if this is the advice being given by the scientists to the Govt. thereby allowing them to ease lockdown.

They can''t acknowledge this as the population would completely abandon social distancing etc.

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/articl...mpression=true

I might be grasping at straws but at least its positive news rather than the doom and gloom we've suffered lately.

Garf

Grasp away Garf. I'm all for positivity.

I've just returned from my seeing one of my daughters in Surrey. We sat in her garden for a couple of hours but I confess that we had a massive hug as I walked through her house.

Breaking the rules? I doubt it because we have both had Coronavirus, even though it hasn't been confirmed. My OH must have got it from me but remained Asymptomatic.

It was the first drive out since 8th March and apart from seeing my daughter, we didn't get near anyone else.

A lovely day was had by all.

Jill

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Well done your mum Carol. When is she going to visit you in your garden??

Are the supermarkets not offering special sessions for her age group?? Or are the session times not practicable??

Annie
      Carol ... M&S , Sainsbury's and Tesco are all offering set shopping times for the over 70's ( days vary depending on area ) but it is a service offered twice a week and usually between 8.00 am and 9.00 am .

I hope your mum is soon able to get out and about a little more.
      Jo

Comment

South Korea most cases were superspreaders(that is not just people can also be situations, large gatherings, transport, Workplaces...)

Wonder how much ongoing spread in the UK since lockdown is really superspreaders and could have been managed.

The Weston hospital is looking like one in the accommodation block.

We know about care homes many of them could have been superspreaders.

Shame we don't have the data since the 12 March.

Quite a few US outbreaks are superspreaders.

​​
        ​​​​​​https://www.thelocal.dk/20200601/ban...rk-researchers

There are other reports if you can be bothered

Comment

Turms out there is a measure for superspreaders

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...es#maincontent

Comment

One suggestion I'd make is nobody to be allowed into the country who has either come from or who has transited through anywhere who's R rate is more than 1.

Prevention is better than cure.

Garf

Comment

Hi all
              We will all be back in lockdown soon anyway,,,my daughter said she will have a BBQ this week..I don't think so.

Just looked at the 10 day weather,,,,,from Wednesday the temp approx 14/15 deg with lots of rain,,,not getting up to +20 deg until Sat 13th,,,,,,,

JC
              C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
              "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

One suggestion I'd make is nobody to be allowed into the country who has either come from or who has transited through anywhere who's R rate is more than 1.

Garf
                You are too soft Garfie.

The UK should have done this 3 months ago, quarantine all arrivals into the UK for 14 days which is what all other countries did. Common sense really.

Annie
                Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 1st June 2020, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

You are too soft Garfie.

The UK should have done this 3 months ago, quarantine all arrivals into the UK for 14 days.

Annie
                  Can we not start a blame culture please.

We are all working with what we've got, which is the ethos of this thread- not a political one!
                  Jill

Comment

Garf
                    R rate is a very poor metric

it could be below 1 but a lot of the population actively infected.

There could be a single outbreak with an R of 4+(you just don't want any of the contacts)

The problem initially was people coming in were only told to isolate once they had symptoms.

With a incubation period of upto 14 days you need to be more careful with unknowns and contacts of knowns.

Test on entry and after 7 days may catch enough
                    Problem we have is you want a minimum of social distancing for new entries but that won't work if the country is out of lockdown so we have to go for isolation.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Can we not start a blame culture please.

We are all working with what we've got, which is the ethos of this thread- not a political one!
                      Hi Jill
                      To be honest I don't know what the ethos of your OP is.
                      The first line has rally thrown me..

"As we start to open up.....you do your thing, I'll do mine."

Is it really saying the guidance we have lived with for the last 10 weeks is not now relevant,and we just do want we want?

The crowds this weekend showed what happens when people have the 'you do your thing,I'll do mine' attitude.

Or am I getting the wrong message.
                      Maybe the letter should have made clear,,,,those things will only be allowed when the rules are lifted.
                      JC

Comment

Hi TD
                        I want to stop them coming in...not let them in then deal with it by means of a 14 day quarantine that we all know is unenforceable.

I was sat in my garden today and saw more vapour trails than I have for the last 8 weeks.

Garf
                        Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 1st June 2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Sunday dinner, hugging , lockdown is pretty much over. Many of the comments are similar to those that were posted before lockdown started.

Comment

Hi TD
                            I want to stop them coming in...not let them in then deal with it by means of a 14 day quarantine that we all know is unenforceable.

I was sat in my garden today and saw more vapour trails than I have for the last 8 weeks.

Garf
                            Fine,

come up with a better metric to decide which people can come in.

R tells you very little about who the sick people are, nothing about how many exist in a country or transit airside.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                              Hi Jill
                              To be honest I don't know what the ethos of your OP is.
                              The first line has rally thrown me..

"As we start to open up.....you do your thing, I'll do mine."

Is it really saying the guidance we have lived with for the last 10 weeks is not now relevant,and we just do want we want?

The crowds this weekend showed what happens when people have the 'you do your thing,I'll do mine' attitude.

Or am I getting the wrong message.
                              Maybe the letter should have made clear,,,,those things will only be allowed when the rules are lifted.
                              JC
                              Hi JC

I found that message on FB and it struck a chord, which is why I posted it on here.

We might have read it differently but I saw it as meaning that we will all should try and get on with what we have and get through this.

That is why every line ended with ... that's ok because we should all deal with our own situation the best way we can, given that our circumstances will be different but mindful of not putting others in danger by our own actions.

Interestingly enough, my cousin, who is a nurse and has a daughter (also a nurse) working on the front line in a hospital in Kent. She shared the post on FB, which makes me think she read it to mean the same as I did.

I don't condone the idiots who have thrown caution to the wind and are only thinking of themselves; sadly there will always be those that don't consider the impact of their actions on others.
                              Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post

Hi JC

I found that message on FB and it struck a chord, which is why I posted it on here.

We might have read it differently but I saw it as meaning that we will all should try and get on with what we have and get through this.

That is why every line ended with ... that's ok because we should all deal with our own situation the best way we can, given that our circumstances will be different but mindful of not putting others in danger by our own actions.

Interestingly enough, my cousin, who is a nurse and has a daughter (also a nurse) working on the front line in a hospital in Kent. She shared the post on FB, which makes me think she read it to mean the same as I did.

I don't condone the idiots who have thrown caution to the wind and are only thinking of themselves; sadly there will always be those that don't consider the impact of their actions on others.
                                Hi Jill
                                I could understand the sentiments of the body of letter.
                                It was just the first line that smacked of selfishness.

JC

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X