• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

International Space Station

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful clear night on Merseyside but unfortunately I fell asleep!

Comment

if you want to watch Nasa TV start here

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

loads of streaming options

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/how-to-...aunch-america/

Comment

Thanks for the links. We popped outside last night about 10.20 but didn’t see anything except one bright star, OH thought it may have been Venus. The sky was still quite light and a pale blue and extraordinarily clear. Almost like being up in Norway at midnight in mid summer. If only...........

We’ll try again tonight if skies are clear, now that we know the time roughly. Just need to find a compass now.............

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post
          Thanks for the links. We popped outside last night about 10.20 but didn’t see anything except one bright star, OH thought it may have been Venus. The sky was still quite light and a pale blue and extraordinarily clear. Almost like being up in Norway at midnight in mid summer. If only...........

We’ll try again tonight if skies are clear, now that we know the time roughly. Just need to find a compass now.............
          Skyview Lite is a free app to let you navigate the night (and day) sky via your smart phone or tablet.

Bill

Edit: Last night it was scheduled to be visible at 10:59 pm for 3 minutes, tonight almost 5 1/2 mins. at 10:11pm.
          Last edited by Lawnmowerman, Tain; 30th May 2020, 10:15 AM.

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post

The forecast for Scotland - Tain being on the eastern side , halfway up? - for the next few days is good so better luck tonight. May even see the rocket chasing it.
            Tain can be good as it is on the coast. However, we have moved inland about 10 miles, Daughter lives in Tain so will probably have a look tonight.

Many thanks.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

You can get an app if you have a smart phone(they have a compass). that you point up to the sky and it shows you where stuff is.

or you can try this
              https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/

Comment

Don't get your hopes up too much unless you have a totally unrestricted view i.e. nothing to block the horizon.

Not a terribly scientific explanation but, the ISS ''position'' won't be very high up tonight. On Thursday night, it was almost overhead at 43 degrees. Tonight, it's 23 degrees. Good news is, the timing was pretty well spot on.

You can tell the difference between Venus and ISS. The ISS travels across the sky. Venus just shines incredibly brightly but doesn't zoom off!

I have today's NASA TV schedule and will have to watch Dad's Army tonight with half an eye as Live Launch Coverage of the SpaceX/DM-2 Crew Dragon Mission which starts at 3pm BST, has lift off at 8.22pm BST.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Don't get your hopes up too much unless you have a totally unrestricted view i.e. nothing to block the horizon.

Not a terribly scientific explanation but, the ISS ''position'' won't be very high up tonight. On Thursday night, it was almost overhead at 43 degrees. Tonight, it's 23 degrees. Good news is, the timing was pretty well spot on.

You can tell the difference between Venus and ISS. The ISS travels across the sky. Venus just shines incredibly brightly but doesn't zoom off!

I have today's NASA TV schedule and will have to watch Dad's Army tonight with half an eye as Live Launch Coverage of the SpaceX/DM-2 Crew Dragon Mission which starts at 3pm BST, has lift off at 8.22pm BST.
                  Fingers crossed for a safe event.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Skyview Lite is a free app to let you navigate the night (and day) sky via your smart phone or tablet.

Bill

Edit: Last night it was scheduled to be visible at 10:59 pm for 3 minutes, tonight almost 5 1/2 mins. at 10:11pm.
                    Hi Bill
                    I have 'Skyview Lite' on my phone,,very good,,just point your phone and up comes all the info.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/skyview-lite/id413936865

JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Fingers crossed for a safe event.

Bill
                      Indeed.

I watched NASA TV when NASA Administrator, Jim Bridenstine, explained why the mission was aborted. It wasn't the fear of the storm as such but the fact there was so much electricity in the air, it was a worry the launch could trigger lightening, and having watched many a lightening storm in Florida over the years, it's exciting to watch and deadly if it catches you, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                        Hi Bill
                        I have 'Skyview Lite' on my phone,,very good,,just point your phone and up comes all the info.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/skyview-lite/id413936865

JC
                        What's not to love - free apps the are useful, brilliant!

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Indeed.

I watched NASA TV when NASA Administrator, Jim Bridenstine, explained why the mission was aborted. It wasn't the fear of the storm as such but the fact there was so much electricity in the air, it was a worry the launch could trigger lightening, and having watched many a lightening storm in Florida over the years, it's exciting to watch and deadly if it catches you, obviously.
                            Only witnessed one lightning storm over there. I was in Nassau and saw it slowly approaching from the Gulf - mesmerising in its scale and beauty. Never did quite reach Nassau - double bonus.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Wansbrough, North Somerset View Post

Where did you get that figure from? There is a big difference between 19 and 3......... Are you confusing it with Star Wars?
                              Hello. Apologies if this is wrong - I’m quoting figures read out to me by my wife from the internet - she is a night sky officianado, fascinated by the ISS in particular. Not here at present so cannot quote actual source.
                              ISS has been coming up from the west as it presumably will tonight but it is now much lower in the sky as it then disappears in the south but still very obvious. I last saw Venus about a week ago, getting much lower in the west.
                              Hope you see it Bill.
                              Last edited by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry; 30th May 2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

I notice you have Yorks in your name.

Looking at the schedule for tonight, I don't think you have much chance of a sighting of ISS tonight. It will be very low in the sky, WSW moving to SSE in a five min. window. LMM up in Scotland will have no chance.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X