• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you coping with not going out [too much] if you don't have to

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you coping with not going out [too much] if you don't have to

OK
    New thread with a changed title. Bit of a mouthful but it doesn't have the L...d..n word in it.

The garden has never looked better at this time of the year and as a committed slob, there is only a certain amount of housework I'm prepared to do.

I've binged box sets, I've read more books in the last two months than I've had McDonalds [I love McDonalds], I've walked as much as I can without keeling over in pain [new knee needed which is now on the back burner] and I have a tan the Med couldn't beat.

I have a coffee date tomorrow which will be the highlight of this week and I know we're very lucky and I shouldn't grumble and I'm not really but oh how I wish I could see my friends and relatives, properly.

How are you coping?

No problem at all, especially since golf was permitted.(Should never have been stopped in my view. NOT a political comment!) I think I have just settled into a new routine. I have gone out for permitted exercise and shopping, but otherwise happy to potter about at home. I think the good weather has helped, plus living on the edge of the countryside. I'm almost sorry now that the roads are getting busier. Take away food readily available, Indian, Chinese, F&C and pizza. Never really go to pubs, so that's no problem, and wine and beer deliveries have been easier to come by than food!

Comment

I have always been happy with my own company but do need social interactions every now and then, does not even have to be people I know.

I have noticed some struggle without interactions and are not good at the acquaintance style relationships

Two of the big changes for me, I have given up cruise searching and research, the other is no pub, that has freed up time.

I used to binge watch in the winter and have been doing more of that, it has slowed down over the last 2 weeks.

Lot more time in the garden, weather has been great for that, still needs loads of work.

Picking off little jobs that need doing.

Finally got round to sorting out the old PCs and updating them with memory, SSD and win10
      Big 1/2 tidy of the office, need another go still too much hoarding.

More walking with the rucksack for mini shops, these walks go past the pub, walked there more times this year already than all of lat year.

Got the bike out of the shed but that just highlighted the shed needs emptying and some repair work(not been in it for a year)

I think I can find enough for another few months.

loosing weight with the extra exercise(I rarely comfort eat) but maybe need to eat a bit more got a dizzy.

Starting to arrange meetups, some walking, some will require the car.

worried about your car sitting going nowhere get a maintenance charger, I have this one you can just leave on the battery.
      https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
        I have always been happy with my own company but do need social interactions every now and then, does not even have to be people I know.

I have noticed some struggle without interactions and are not good at the acquaintance style relationships

Two of the big changes for me, I have given up cruise searching and research, the other is no pub, that has freed up time.

I used to binge watch in the winter and have been doing more of that, it has slowed down over the last 2 weeks.

Lot more time in the garden, weather has been great for that, still needs loads of work.

Picking off little jobs that need doing.

Finally got round to sorting out the old PCs and updating them with memory, SSD and win10
        Big 1/2 tidy of the office, need another go still too much hoarding.

More walking with the rucksack for mini shops, these walks go past the pub, walked there more times this year already than all of lat year.

Got the bike out of the shed but that just highlighted the shed needs emptying and some repair work(not been in it for a year)

I think I can find enough for another few months.

loosing weight with the extra exercise(I rarely comfort eat) but maybe need to eat a bit more got a dizzy.

Starting to arrange meetups, some walking, some will require the car.

worried about your car sitting going nowhere get a maintenance charger, I have this one you can just leave on the battery.
        https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0

I can endorse the battery charger recommendation. Have had a couple for years for use on my classics during the winter.

Comment

We are coping really well. I do think the weather has helped massively however. I too have spent lots of time in my garden both pottering about tending plants and all sitting in the sunshine reading.

We manage to have coffee with neighbours whilst still social distancing and I talk to friends and family on the phone. Zoom is a terrific asset for chatting to my family face to face and also for my choir.

I have been knitting for my new grandson, who is due in a couple of weeks, doing lots of jigsaw puzzles and reading.

We count ourselves fortunate that we are healthy and can still get out, albeit less than often we would like. Today we took another trip down to the seafront to enjoy the sea air and get a big dose of Vitamin D.

I really miss my kids and grandson but then so does everyone and I've a feeling that it won't be too long before we can get together again.

Jill

Comment

Like others we have coped well, at times we have enjoyed the solitude. Being able to golf again is great or us and I hope that in time we can move from 2 balls and none holes to the full course and social golf. We have had one take away and may have another this weekend and have settled into a shopping routine of 2 Tesco deliveries a month and 2 M&S food shops a month, with fruit and veg top up from the local corner shop that is doing a roaring trade and sourcing some high quality products, especially tomatoes and strawberries that actual taste like they should.

I dont know what or when the next steps will be but we will take them in our stride and crack on

John

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
              Like others we have coped well, at times we have enjoyed the solitude. Being able to golf again is great or us and I hope that in time we can move from 2 balls and none holes to the full course and social golf. We have had one take away and may have another this weekend and have settled into a shopping routine of 2 Tesco deliveries a month and 2 M&S food shops a month, with fruit and veg top up from the local corner shop that is doing a roaring trade and sourcing some high quality products, especially tomatoes and strawberries that actual taste like they should.

I dont know what or when the next steps will be but we will take them in our stride and crack on

John
              We have to crack on don't we. Doesn't stop me wishing I could hug others.

Comment

make a hug suit.

skynews-coronavirus-suit-fehilly_4993955.jpg?bypass-service-worker&20200519125605.jpg

make a hug suit.

plenty more options out there

https://www.insider.com/families-mak...parents-2020-5

even back in April

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/18/grand...-hug-12576652/
                Last edited by Topdeck, London; 19th May 2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

our next door are doing OK their daughter is very much into the shielding message so they don't see that side of the family.

A Tesco order came for them yesterday and this morning another government food supply, we get select surplus.

Comment

Hi Mrs M

Have been coping very well, not a lot different to our normal life style. Wife has decorated and refurbished a bedroom, I have knocked the garden into shape and last weekend managed to get some potting compost and beddings plants, pots not trays. have potted up all the flower pots front and back of property.

Due to the good weatherI have managed to spend many hours sitting in the conservatory or in the garden photographing the birds which visit our garden. Our garden is surrounded by trees and the noise of the bids is often like living in an Avery. We have had many birds visit the feeders and our bird bath for a drink or a bath. I have 100’s of photos.

Two to three weeks ago we noticed a male blackbird regularly visit a summer jasmine climber which is just outside our conservatory next to our patio, Then I observed and was able to photograph a female bird bring grass twigs etc in order to build a nest in the jasmine, For the past two weeks she has been sitting on the nest only leaving for food. Cannot see inside the nest nor can I hear them but assume she has young, as dad has returned and between them they are taking it in turns to feed them.

The male Blackbird has become very territorial chasing all the other birds including pigeons out of the garden, It been funny to watch.

In addition have been out for many a walk, as well as having the sea front 5/6 minutes drive away, within 10 min walk we also have open tree lined grassland walks including a local nature reserve.

I have found the lock down to have been very relaxing, not having a list of to do jobs each day or places to visit.😄😎
                    Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

We have to crack on don't we. Doesn't stop me wishing I could hug others.
                      Just for you Mrs M and others.

Not forgetting 🍔 and 🍟 or even 🍕 and 🥂🥂

Comment

Coping very well............No grandchildren or grandparents to miss. Still working so daily routine hasn't really changed. Bank account is looking a lot healthier with nowhere to spend money, bike is cleaned and serviced, and house has been spruced up ready to go on the market.

Only thing I am missing is the pub

Comment

Originally posted by All at sea, Yorks View Post

Just for you Mrs M and others.

Not forgetting 🍔 and 🍟 or even 🍕 and 🥂🥂
                          Love it although I had to REALLY look at the last two.

Am I right in assuming you didn't have a double ''moon '' at me??????

Comment

Oh my, what will ''they'' think of next!!

I can't wear a face mask without steaming up. I think I'd expire in that.

I've ordered more garden furniture because if we're going to have to socially distance whilst socially drinking and eating, I need more garden chairs.

Beware.
                            It will snow at the end of May!!!!

Comment

For those who will be socially distancing whilst socially drinking outdoors, can I recommend a product?

Over twenty years ago I bought six wine glasses and six ''highball'' glasses back from the US. They are a make called Strahl.

Without a shadow of a lie, drop them, and they bounce.They have been through 100s of dishwasher cycles and haven't clouded one bit. They are of a polycarbonate material and are perfect for outdoor living. When we went to smart parties in KL., all outdoor functions had non glass stem-ware and we were determined to look out for some as being a bare footer, I have a fear of glass shards.

Strahl is quite expensive but they don't break, don't cloud in the dishwasher and won't leave you wondering if an over imbibed guest will drop his or her glass. Amazon stocks them.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X