• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

River Cruising

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

River Cruising

Now I realise that ‘social distancing’ is not going to be possible on-board any ship. However, it has just occurred to me that River Cruising may be a more palatable alternative for those cruiseaholics who do not relish the idea of sharing a ocean ship with 2,000-3,000 other souls in the future.

Most river boats carry under 200 passengers. There is no scramble or waiting in a big shed to embark or disembark. At the ports of call, you just step off. You can often walk the town – no coach required.

The Rhine (for example) can be reached from London, Ebsfleet or Ashford by Eurostar – so no need for planes or airports.

Any takers?
    See my cruise blog: HERE

Having done two 'Rivers' it will def be a first thought option when this is all over..........ish!..............Wilba

Wilba

Comment

Interesting point, we have moved our planned Viking River trip in October this year to an Ocean one at the same time in 2021.

River cruises often seem to attract an older passenger group and space on board is more restricted that a Viking Ocean vessel.

Only time will tell who is right, hopefully both sides

John

Comment

We have a river cruise booked for next June going from Amsterdam and considered going by Eurostar, but then found out that we would have to change trains at Brussels and coming back, there is a 3.5 hour coach journey from Cologne to Brussels Midi. As we did that trip last year and it was a real pain to say the least ( the coach driver seemed half asleep and kept hitting traffic cones on the motorway and then collided with a taxi near the station), we don't want to repeat the experience. Flying doesn't fill me with joy either, but at least it's only an hour from Luton airport.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
          ...there is a 3.5 hour coach journey from Cologne to Brussels Midi. As we did that trip last year and it was a real pain to say the least..
          That's odd there are fast trains from Brussels to Cologne.
          See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Yes, but unfortunately not where Riviera Travel are concerned! I think that's how they keep their costs down. They have the youngest fleet of ships in river cruising I believe, but cut costs in other areas, so quite often use Easyjet or Ryanair or coach travel instead of TGV or equivalent. I guess you get what you pay for.

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by BandN, Markyate View Post
              We have a river cruise booked for next June going from Amsterdam and considered going by Eurostar, but then found out that we would have to change trains at Brussels and coming back, there is a 3.5 hour coach journey from Cologne to Brussels Midi. As we did that trip last year and it was a real pain to say the least ( the coach driver seemed half asleep and kept hitting traffic cones on the motorway and then collided with a taxi near the station), we don't want to repeat the experience. Flying doesn't fill me with joy either, but at least it's only an hour from Luton airport.

Barb
              There are at least three daily direct Eurostar trains to Amsterdam with a journey time, including check-in, of 4 hours 40 minutes.

Comment

Yes agreed, have done that previously independently, however if you are on a travel package, then if you opt out to do your own travel, you are not covered should the proverbial hit the fan.

Barb

Comment

This would be a great option as A Danube river cruise has always been on my to do list and funnily enough I had thought of doing one in the next year or two, so next year might be the year. 😀
                  don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                  best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                  agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                  X