• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Britain has Europe's HIGHEST corona death toll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a start but still needs work to get the answer asked for for the whole country

The goal would be a number weighted by population density distribution for a country.

Comment

Armchair politicians spouting off again! The Conservatives were voted into power by the people, it was more like a statement of lack of trust in labour. We even have members quoting the Daily Mail, if it suits their purpose of course.

I work in a large Liverpool teaching hospital and we have never been short of PPE, it is much better to highlight the short comings than to give praise where it is well deserved.

I personally ignore the charts, I prefer to think everyone is doing their best to help us survive this awful virus.

Nobody expected what havoc corona would reap.

Stay safe everyone these are difficult times.

Comment

Hi CD
        Why don't you apologists never mention 32,000 deaths.
        And Boris Johnson said that was an 'apparent success'.
        If that's their idea of success I would hate to see failure.

PS,,the surgeon from a Liverpool teaching hospital who died of Covid-19 a couple of weeks ago led the complaints against lack of PPE in his hospitals ......was he wrong?

JC
        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post

I struggle to believe that you still refuse to accept the facts and which I am not going to repeat. I also struggle to believe that you have not noticed that the many and various criticisms that Annie has highlighted come from not politicians but from journalists across the world, including those bastions of the right namely The Daily Torygraph and especially The daily mail.
          Hi Billy
          You are right about criticism around the world,,,we are even being called The Sick man of Europe'
          Where have I heard that before.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-boris-johnson

JC

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
            Hi CD
            Why don't you apologists never mention 32,000 deaths.
            And Boris Johnson said that was an 'apparent success'.
            If that's their idea of success I would hate to see failure.

PS,,the surgeon from a Liverpool teaching hospital who died of Covid-19 a couple of weeks ago led the complaints against lack of PPE in his hospitals ......was he wrong?

JC
            Not the time and place to discuss this, two sides to every story.
            Just for good measure an Emeritus Consultant Cardiologist who contacted Carvo painted a totally different picture but that wasn’t worthy of reporting.

Personally I find it sad that people want to dredge up the same old same, it’s not about politics it’s about saving lives.

Comment

Originally posted by cruisedreams, Thirsk View Post

Just for good measure an Emeritus Consultant Cardiologist who contacted Carvo painted a totally different picture but that wasn’t worthy of reporting.

Personally I find it sad that people want to dredge up the same old same, it’s not about politics it’s about saving lives.
              Which is why the government should continually be held to account on PPE shortages, late testing, late lockdown and 32000 dead..............and you find it sad that people keep mentioning it

Here you go then, lets forget about the dead......................

Comment

Hi CD
                The First paragraph of your post #80 was pure politics.
                What did Labour losing the election have to do with the pandemic?

You was trying to score political points.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                  Hi CD
                  The First paragraph of your post #80 was pure politics.
                  What did Labour losing the election have to do with the pandemic?

You was trying to score political points.

JC

Correction JC ‘you was trying to score political points ‘ you were trying to score political points’

At least use the Queen’s English when you stand to correct me.

Comment

I don't believe many are seeking political gain but are genuinely concerned that we could and should be doing better in this crisis.How can it be so ridiculous to compare us to other countries when the Government (and supposedly impartial scientists) have been trotting out comparison figures for the whole of this crisis until the last few days.
                    If you believe some of the critics are being political then some of the defenders defending some aspects which are pretty indefensible are being every bit as political,including the somewhat childish response that the opposition couldn't do any better and would be worse.That's not in the least bit relevant now.We are where we are and need to adapt and change when needed and pointing out gaps can really help.It might be annoying and irritating but it really can help.
                    I've said it before but it's worth repeating.Criticism as long as it's not just point scoring can actually help effect change and it most definitely has in this crisis.This government is still making mistakes but it has listened and has changed position and I credit them for that.However,there is no reason to rest on its laurels
                    Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 7th May 2020, 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Armchair politicians spouting off again! The Conservatives were voted into power by the people, it was more like a statement of lack of trust in labour. We even have members quoting the Daily Mail, if it suits their purpose of course.

I work in a large Liverpool teaching hospital and we have never been short of PPE, it is much better to highlight the short comings than to give praise where it is well deserved.

I personally ignore the charts, I prefer to think everyone is doing their best to help us survive this awful virus.

Nobody expected what havoc corona would reap.

Stay safe everyone these are difficult times.
                      Of course I use quotes from the daily mail to emphasis the point that there is widespread criticism of the UK’s handling of this pandemic.

Why praise a hospital that does have the equipment when that signifies only that people have been doing their job efficiently and quietly - unlike those whose overall responsibility this is?
                      Last edited by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry; 7th May 2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Correction JC ‘you was trying to score political points ‘ you were trying to score political points’

At least use the Queen’s English when you stand to correct me.
                        Hi CD
                        Oh dear.......
                        A scouser correcting my English,,,,dey do doe Don,t dey do,yer no worra mean like.

JC

Comment

Originally posted by BinleyBilly, Binley, Coventry View Post

Of course I use quotes from the daily mail to emphasis the point that there is widespread criticism of the UK’s handling of this pandemic.

Why praise a hospital that does have the equipment when that signifies only that people have been doing their job efficiently and quietly - unlike those whose overall responsibility this is?
                          Why give praise? Why hear good news?

Because quite frankly, all we hear is how appalling everything is and how it seems UK plc is broken.

It's not. It's undergoing hardship but it ain't broke and to hear good news for a change from a source other than the government [and I heard from neighbours last night who are in the medical world, that they have had no problem getting PPE]. is heartening.

We don't often hear ''good'' news because it doesn't fit the broken Britain scenario and so anyone else with ''good'' news about this awful situation, go ahead. I for one will be very happy to read it.

Comment

I suspect that things are better than they look because the data is swamped by institution deaths.

I asked if there was data on how many care home residents are included in the hospital numbers and I found them.
                            The numbers are quite high

If we take the care home residents that die in hospital off the hospital numbers that give a better guide to how it is going for the rest of us in smaller household groups.

Only just found this and not done any follow on work.
                            The first week there was any data that care homes were going to be a problem was week 12 when the reports of respiratory outbreaks started 6 weeks later it may be under control.
                            another analysis could be to remove the care home dats by age to see how effective household lockdown has been in the wider community.

England(normal residence care home)
                            Week of notification 16 17 18
                            Week ending 17/04/2020 24/04/2020 01/05/2020
                            All deaths
                            Hospital 1054 1100 839
                            Care Home 5497 6057 4868
                            Elsewhere 134 118 105
                            Not Stated 1774 698 731
                            Deaths involving COVID-19
                            Hospital 775 829 583
                            Care Home 1873 2379 2044
                            Elsewhere 45 47 47
                            Not Stated 399 192 208

if you want to check the care homes numbers in your area.
                            https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...missionengland

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Why give praise? Why hear good news?

Because quite frankly, all we hear is how appalling everything is and how it seems UK plc is broken.

It's not. It's undergoing hardship but it ain't broke and to hear good news for a change from a source other than the government [and I heard from neighbours last night who are in the medical world, that they have had no problem getting PPE]. is heartening.

We don't often hear ''good'' news because it doesn't fit the broken Britain scenario and so anyone else with ''good'' news about this awful situation, go ahead. I for one will be very happy to read it.
                              Anyone else got some ''good'' news''?

TD's breakdown of stats whilst not good for care homes makes life for most of us, look reasonably OK.

Cruisedreams gave us a ''good'' news and I'm sure others have heard similar tales. Let's hear them for a change and blow those who are just out to give us ''bad'' news.

Comment

I find it odd that for something that is so contagious and sweeping the World, there are only a few Countries, with horrendous looking deaths, and the others seem to have got away relatively lightly.
                                Either every Country should report the deaths in the same way, or don't do it at all. .................................................. ..........Carol

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X