• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Matt Hancock being set up as scapegoat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Helen Whately as well.

This government needs to watch Andrew Cuomo of New York's press briefings. No faffing, straight to the point. He is rarely asked a question he can't answer. Happy to praise Trump and call him out as required.

Annie
    Totally agree, will he run against Trump. He says not, I say watch this space.

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post

Totally agree, will he run against Trump. He says not, I say watch this space.
      I think he enjoys being the big fish in little New York!

Annie

Comment

Hi Garf/Carol
        I thought PMQ's was a bit of a flop.
        Starmer asked the questions expected......Rabb answered with the usual polititicians equivocation,he is the master of amphibology. (that ones for Mrs M)

I thought John Ashworth made the telling points and asked the real pointed questions.

JC
        C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
        "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by carol, welwyn garden city View Post

They're still saying they will be doing 100,000 tests a day by the end of next week, but what's the point now? They have no idea how many people had it before so will have nothing to compare it with!.

I still can't make out why some Countries seem to have hardly any cases, and others like Spain that have been locked away and on a very strict lock down, are still seeing a high amount of people with it. .................................................. ...... Carol
          Depends on population size, how developed they are and social customs.

Small country less people with it. Under developed country less facilities for treatment and reporting. Big family groups cultures like Spain and Italy more cases.

We have less than half the rate of deaths per head of population than Belgium for instance although we have more in number.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
            The government has said all along it is acting on advice from it's scientific and medical advisers, all experts in their fields. The advisers advise, the ministers decide and the civil servants and NHS staff execute.

The problems seem to be in the execution in what are exceptional times. However all countries are in similar difficulties but no one reports on that here. How many media outlets have for example reported the fact that over One Billion pieces of PPE have been delivered to the NHS in the last 53 days. I understand the World Health Authority has said the UK is coping very well in the circumstances.

Good news doesn't sell and those with PhD's in hindsight don't want to hear it anyway.
            The WHO also directly criticized the UK for considering herd immunity as an option.
            There are articles in Time magazine and on CNN pointing out some of the failings the UK made .I'm sure it might just be trying to shift the focus from the US's own failings but it's interesting that they have articles on the subject

Comment

Originally posted by toshtosh, Guiseley View Post
              Both the "new government" and Pandemic honeymoons are clearly over.

Several threads on the forum have covered (and are still discussing) the political and clinical rights and wrongs of the politicians and experts on all sides,so I will leave that alone.

However I suspect Matt Hancock is already being set up by the Conservative leader (and his cronies) as the scapegoat, with several junior ministers also being sent out to take the flak.

He (MH) has appeared at recent coronavirus debriefs and looked at times like a rabbit in headlights.

No sign of senior ministers (Gove, Patel and even Dominic Raab come to mind) sharing the load. The only "credible" voice has been the Chancellor who has a bottomless purse so can only give "good" news.

So BJ is about to return and will need to find a way to appear "loyal" to his fantastic team whilst making sweeping changes - we already have his loyal puppet (Michael Gove) being primed for a reappearance as Mr Fixer - see last week's Andrew Marr show) and a "Testing Czar" (Professor John Newton) was sent out yesterday to show testing is progressing well. (Subliminally upstaging MH?)

So will the PPE debacle or testing be his undoing? Or has he actually been doing a great job?

On a side note isn't it interesting that BJ calls DT before calling the Queen?

Anybody for a 2021 general election (or a 2020 Con leadership change?)

Cheers

Tony B
              What a lot of Tosh - excuse the pun.

Not sure anybody else could do any better. It is very easy to criticise when, for example, you don't have to scale up your deliveries from 250 places to 580,000 places for PPE etc. If they have drafted in the Army you must understand that this is a logistic nightmare. Easy to criticise from the sidelines, not so easy to do.

Comment

Depends on population size, how developed they are and social customs.

Small country less people with it. Under developed country less facilities for treatment and reporting. Big family groups cultures like Spain and Italy more cases.

We have less than half the rate of deaths per head of population than Belgium for instance although we have more in number.
                they are not telling you the truth, there are at least double the deaths ,
                why is Boris still not appearing, letting everyone else take the flak.
                why is he talking to Trump,,,

Comment

Originally posted by spanish lady, torrevieja View Post

I would assume Boris is still recovering, having been in intensive care for nearly a week.

A telephone call is not very strenuous, I am sure, however a full blown day at work with all the stresses of being the prime minister - not a 9-5 job is very much more full on which I think he would not be up to at the moment.

Doctors do say that for every one day in intensive care, you should recuperate one week at least, which means he is still recovering.

Comment

Hi Lucy
                    Where was he when he missed 5 Cobra meetings early in this emergency,,,,taking a 2 week holiday at Chevening,is government pile in the countryside.

When the Times and Daily (hate) Mail are starting to criticise the governments response to this pandemic you know things are not right.

JC
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

What a lot of Tosh - excuse the pun.

Not sure anybody else could do any better. It is very easy to criticise when, for example, you don't have to scale up your deliveries from 250 places to 580,000 places for PPE etc. If they have drafted in the Army you must understand that this is a logistic nightmare. Easy to criticise from the sidelines, not so easy to do.
                      In times of emergency you reach to those that can deliver logistics(or have emergency arrangements in place)

Amazon have the logistics infrastructure to manage & distribute just about anything anywhere next day once stocked, in some areas even quicker.

There are other issues like delivery capacity but there are plenty of self employed with vans that could step up.

Comment

Another hapless Health Minister. Worth a listen! Beware - strong language!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-session-video
                        Last edited by Victoria, Aberystwyth; 22nd April 2020, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucy, sutton View Post

I would assume Boris is still recovering, having been in intensive care for nearly a week.

A telephone call is not very strenuous, I am sure, however a full blown day at work with all the stresses of being the prime minister - not a 9-5 job is very much more full on which I think he would not be up to at the moment.

Doctors do say that for every one day in intensive care, you should recuperate one week at least, which means he is still recovering.
                          some of our members of the Dail have had the virus , one lady very sick she had pleurisy as well.
                          back in work now,
                          my daughter in law had it bad as well she is recovered and back working as well as looking after her child .
                          i still can’t fathom why he would talk to Trump who is doing everything wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by spanish lady, torrevieja View Post

A neighbour's son is a GP and caught the virus. He was not sufficiently ill to be taken to hospital but 3 weeks on is still extremely tired all of the time. He says it can take up to 8 weeks to recover.

It is not like a simple cold or even the flu so little wonder Boris is still in recovery mode after he was extremely ill.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                              Speculative Tosh....

Garf
                              Absolutely speculative - hence the title.

But at the moment it seems that the momentum is on the relative failure of the government to handle this pandemic as well as several other countries so they will need a scapegoat to protect BJ and Dom. Cumm.

They tried protecting themselves with smokescreens on "Scientific Advice", shortage of chemicals for testing and "Global Demand for PPE" but the buck will eventually land on them.

Now they have designated some non-MPs as the leader (Csar) on PPE and testing.

So I agree the question is merely speculation - but a quick search on the Internet shows several articles supporting the idea.

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

Hi Garf,
                                I thought Sir Kier came across as one of those with a PhD in hindsight. I didn't anything realistic about what he would do in the coming days to solve any of the current issues.
                                Since Sir Keir is not at the table, and as the government has seemingly ignored anybody who isn't on their list of friends, it seems to me he has been extremely restrained and actually said the fundamental action of the lockdown was AND STILL IS the correct primary action.

I see no issue with interpreting his questions on PPE supply, testing and publicly discussing the reduction in lockdown, as anything other than indicating that those are the areas he would now be concentrating on.

Cheers

Tony B

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X