• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Matt Hancock being set up as scapegoat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Is Matt Hancock being set up as scapegoat?

    Both the "new government" and Pandemic honeymoons are clearly over.

    Several threads on the forum have covered (and are still discussing) the political and clinical rights and wrongs of the politicians and experts on all sides,so I will leave that alone.

    However I suspect Matt Hancock is already being set up by the Conservative leader (and his cronies) as the scapegoat, with several junior ministers also being sent out to take the flak.

    He (MH) has appeared at recent coronavirus debriefs and looked at times like a rabbit in headlights.

    No sign of senior ministers (Gove, Patel and even Dominic Raab come to mind) sharing the load. The only "credible" voice has been the Chancellor who has a bottomless purse so can only give "good" news.

    So BJ is about to return and will need to find a way to appear "loyal" to his fantastic team whilst making sweeping changes - we already have his loyal puppet (Michael Gove) being primed for a reappearance as Mr Fixer - see last week's Andrew Marr show) and a "Testing Czar" (Professor John Newton) was sent out yesterday to show testing is progressing well. (Subliminally upstaging MH?)

    So will the PPE debacle or testing be his undoing? Or has he actually been doing a great job?

    On a side note isn't it interesting that BJ calls DT before calling the Queen?

    Anybody for a 2021 general election (or a 2020 Con leadership change?)

    Cheers

    Tony B


    #2
    I don't know the answer to this, but if there have been mistakes is this down to poor advice and/or inefficiency on the part of scientists, civil servants, NHS management etc, rather than individual ministers?

    Comment


      #3
      Speculative Tosh....

      Garf

      Comment


        #4
        There has been collective failure by government.

        Comment


          #5
          I agree with Annie about collective failure, that said Matt Hancock is doing a great job as a volunteer scapegoat.

          John

          Comment


            #6
            Hi Tony.
            He shouldn't have promised more than he could deliver.

            Would you put Pritti Patel or Liz Truss in the front line to face the pubic?

            They probably learnt their lesson with Rees-Mogg.

            The problem was Boris stuffed his front bench team,clearly not on ability,but on their slavish loyalty to his B***** idiocy.

            I'm sure the parliamentary Tory party has more capable people than those in place,,,,,for the good of the country we have to hope so.

            JC
            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
              I agree with Annie about collective failure, that said Matt Hancock is doing a great job as a volunteer scapegoat.

              John
              Helen Whately as well.

              This government needs to watch Andrew Cuomo of New York's press briefings. No faffing, straight to the point. He is rarely asked a question he can't answer. Happy to praise Trump and call him out as required.

              Annie

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                Speculative Tosh....

                Garf
                Absolutely Garf. There will always be blame culture in politics.

                What a shame!
                Jill

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                  I don't know the answer to this, but if there have been mistakes is this down to poor advice and/or inefficiency on the part of scientists, civil servants, NHS management etc, rather than individual ministers?
                  The government has said all along it is acting on advice from it's scientific and medical advisers, all experts in their fields. The advisers advise, the ministers decide and the civil servants and NHS staff execute.

                  The problems seem to be in the execution in what are exceptional times. However all countries are in similar difficulties but no one reports on that here. How many media outlets have for example reported the fact that over One Billion pieces of PPE have been delivered to the NHS in the last 53 days. I understand the World Health Authority has said the UK is coping very well in the circumstances.

                  Good news doesn't sell and those with PhD's in hindsight don't want to hear it anyway.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                    Hi Tony.
                    He shouldn't have promised more than he could deliver.

                    Would you put Pritti Patel or Liz Truss in the front line to face the pubic?

                    They probably learnt their lesson with Rees-Mogg.

                    The problem was Boris stuffed his front bench team,clearly not on ability,but on their slavish loyalty to his B***** idiocy.

                    I'm sure the parliamentary Tory party has more capable people than those in place,,,,,for the good of the country we have to hope so.

                    JC
                    The Welsh Labour Government has done the same thing. They’ve now scrapped the target of 5,000 daily tests.

                    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52356767

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hi John
                      We worked on JIT at my last job and I always warned them that it only works when the supply chain isn't under strain.
                      I know that the Govt after Project Sygnus the pandemic exercise done in 2016, identified PPE distribution and supply would be an issue and that global supply chains would start to break down and that's why the massive warehouse just outside Liverpool has 52k pallets of pandemic medicines PPE etc.
                      But that has to be replaced as we are using it at a rate that nobody could envisage.

                      The company that owns it Movianto have had their own problems and was sold by it's American parent company recently.



                      https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...le-of-pandemic

                      Garf.

                      Edit
                      And jc..can I say that Kier Starmer did well at PMQ's today..
                      But then the bar wasn't too high was it..
                      Last edited by Garfield, Waterlooville; 22nd April 2020, 02:46 PM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Hi Garf,
                        I thought Sir Kier came across as one of those with a PhD in hindsight. I didn't anything realistic about what he would do in the coming days to solve any of the current issues.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

                          Helen Whately as well.

                          This government needs to watch Andrew Cuomo of New York's press briefings. No faffing, straight to the point. He is rarely asked a question he can't answer. Happy to praise Trump and call him out as required.

                          Annie
                          I totally agree, we’ve been watching him most days and we both agree he comes across really well, he is very measured, tells it as it is, our lot should definitely take a leaf out of his book!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post

                            The Welsh Labour Government has done the same thing. They’ve now scrapped the target of 5,000 daily tests.

                            https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52356767
                            They're still saying they will be doing 100,000 tests a day by the end of next week, but what's the point now? They have no idea how many people had it before so will have nothing to compare it with!.

                            I still can't make out why some Countries seem to have hardly any cases, and others like Spain that have been locked away and on a very strict lock down, are still seeing a high amount of people with it. .................................................. ...... Carol

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                              Hi John
                              We worked on JIT at my last job and I always warned them that it only works when the supply chain isn't under strain.
                              I know that the Govt after Project Sygnus the pandemic exercise done in 2016, identified PPE distribution and supply would be an issue and that global supply chains would start to break down and that's why the massive warehouse just outside Liverpool has 52k pallets of pandemic medicines PPE etc.
                              But that has to be replaced as we are using it at a rate that nobody could envisage.

                              The company that owns it Movianto have had their own problems and was sold by it's American parent company recently.



                              https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...le-of-pandemic

                              Garf.

                              Edit
                              And jc..can I say that Kier Starmer did well at PMQ's today..
                              But then the bar wasn't too high was it..
                              Bit of topic, but I just wondered if you were pleased with the new Labour leader JC? My friend was a massive JC fan, and she's not keen on Mr Starmer at all .............................................Carol

                              Comment


                              We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.


                              By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

                              Working...
                              X