• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What now for the Anthropocene Epoch.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What now for the Anthropocene Epoch.......

Can't help but wonder how wildlife is reacting to the virtual desert of mankind on streets etc.

Most obviously seagulls & pigeons who most benefit from our waste of food on the streets will have to adopt different strategies. What effects on the rat population because of the large scale closure of restaurant and takeaway establishments - will they encroach on suburbia?

Do you think wildlife is aware of the diminished presence of us out and about. Many species of birds (the crow family for example) are extremely intelligent.

Any thoughts

Bill

Lawnmowerman

No idea what to answer to your question, but I as a logophile, I decoded your wonderful thread title all on my own [and then googled it to make sure] and so that is my education for today. I like adding words to my vocab although dropping Anthropocene into my daily chit chat might prove a tad difficult!!

Comment

Definitely more wildlife enctoaching. Muntjac appearing in the feilds by work. Bitds are braver, had them at my feet yesterday, more foxes are around the village and had a shock the other evening when a Red Kite swooped down about 10ft in front of me. They have never come that close before

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
        No idea what to answer to your question, but I as a logophile, I decoded your wonderful thread title all on my own [and then googled it to make sure] and so that is my education for today. I like adding words to my vocab although dropping Anthropocene into my daily chit chat might prove a tad difficult!!
        Header was a bit tongue in cheek as it has only been mooted in the last couple of years - the arrogance of man! No sooner do we boast of our influence on the planet than nature (OK mutated nature) strikes back - you couldn't make it up - oh, sorry, Hollywood does!

I too love words - funnily enough some I find hard to get to grips with. Some I can't but help giving them the opposite of what they are . Oh and I love finding the back-story to sayings. Damocles Sword anyone? All fascinating. The English language is so rich and varied - wonderful.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post
          Definitely more wildlife enctoaching. Muntjac appearing in the feilds by work. Bitds are braver, had them at my feet yesterday, more foxes are around the village and had a shock the other evening when a Red Kite swooped down about 10ft in front of me. They have never come that close before
          We are very fortunate with lots of Red Kite in our area. Perhaps about 15 years ago they were quite few in number but loads of Buzzards. We seem to have fewer Buzzards - perhaps not able to compete with the Kites so well?

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Header was a bit tongue in cheek as it has only been mooted in the last couple of years - the arrogance of man! No sooner do we boast of our influence on the planet than nature (OK mutated nature) strikes back - you couldn't make it up - oh, sorry, Hollywood does!

I too love words - funnily enough some I find hard to get to grips with. Some I can't but help giving them the opposite of what they are . Oh and I love finding the back-story to sayings. Damocles Sword anyone? All fascinating. The English language is so rich and varied - wonderful.

Bill
            I do recallr something also about 'hanging by a thread'.........time for google

hmmm, the sword is hanging by a horse hair, but no mention of 'hanging by a thread',..............
            Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 9th April 2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Bill
              Noooo, really Bill 😂 I’m quite sure Hollywood will be in overdrive when it comes to making a blockbuster out of this. The stars will be falling over themselves to secure the lead parts. The only “wildlife” in our area at the moment is the one I caught on our Cctv on Monday night trying the cars. He had two large bags and was wearing a surgical mask and hoody. 5 cars (all insecure) were plundered. A neighbour caught him further up the street and let him go - didn’t phone the cops either 🙄 After checking my Cctv I saw him enter our driveway and try our 3 cars (one awaiting uplift by British car auctions) Security light went on but it did not deter him at all.

Comment

Can't say I have noticed much difference here, but we do live on the edge of open countryside. We do have a pheasant and his two concubines who come up and peck at the patio door waiting for food. Seems they do the rounds of local gardens. He has even taken seed from my hand.

Comment

Our urban fox is posted missing. Now if I could make a very annoying neighbour's cat do the same BTW did you know that cats can catch Covid 19??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                    Our urban fox is posted missing. Now if I could make a very annoying neighbour's cat do the same BTW did you know that cats can catch Covid 19??

Annie
                    Thought it was a Tiger, not quite the same as a domestic pet

Comment

Annie
                      That is not entirely accurate. There may be traces on a cat's fur from being petted. Some cats can display minor symptoms but it can't cross back to humans. There's a vet on a group that I follow, who has explained it all.

There is no danger with my cat having traces on her fur, she doesn't like humans very much. She tolerates me because I feed her!
                      2018-
                      Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
                      NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
                      Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
                      Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
                      Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Thought it was a Tiger, not quite the same as a domestic pet
                        https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-adv...id-19-and-cats

Annie

Comment

ok, so no evidence, just one unsubstantiated claim from Belgium.

Comment

We’re now getting regular visits from a very handsome pheasant and sometimes his two missuses . All loitering near the base of the bird feeders.

Yesterday, overhead was a prolonged dogfight between two and then three red kites......very entertaining.

The regular hedgehog is still pooping all over the garden!

Its all go here.

Comment

ok, so no evidence, just one unsubstantiated claim from Belgium.
                              https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...se-study-finds

Annie

PS Now if it was a cheetah or a leopard in my garden, I wouldn't complain

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X