• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest FCO Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest FCO Advice

Good Morning

We probably knew this was coming: FO advises against all travel 'indefinitely':

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9448986.html

Annie

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

No end date.

Annie

Comment

Foreign travel advice

Get advice about travelling abroad, including the latest information on coronavirus, safety and security, entry requirements and travel warnings.

! COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice

As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available. Many airlines are suspending flights and many airports are closing, preventing flights from leaving.

Nothing about dates..

Comment

This comes as no surprise to me. I don’t think we will want to/be allowed to travel abroad till 2021.
        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Surely it would be more helpful to give a date that can be reviewed for travel insurance and the feasibility of postponing without penalty.Most companies are being flexible but not all.Not having a date gives them a get out of jail card.

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
            Surely it would be more helpful to give a date that can be reviewed for travel insurance and the feasibility of postponing without penalty.Most companies are being flexible but not all.Not having a date gives them a get out of jail card.
            End date, even provisionally, would be very helpful to allow travellers to get their money back but the travel industry wouldn’t like it. They want to keep our money to help ‘keep them afloat’ but some of us need our money back to help us keep afloat.
            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
              Phil and Issyalex, we are due to go to Turkey in May for golf, we know we are not going and the agency doing the golf side have offered to move the booking 12 months ahead, our flights are with Turkish airlines and we can exchange for an open ticket, so far so good but it has to be used by Feb 28th 2021 so no use at all, we have to play the waiting game and this advise is worse that useless to us.

John

Comment

Presumably insurers couldn't refuse to pay cancellation claims even if cruise lines and airlines won't refund.

Comment

I don't suppose you can claim of your insurance until you officially get a cancellation document/email. Even though they are aware of the world wide travel restrictions, until it's official....
                  I'm still waiting for my flights to Canada to be cancelled for 14th May, so far I have been offered a credit note for future travel but since the cruise has been cancelled and rebooked somewhere else, I no longer want or need those future flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                    Foreign travel advice

Get advice about travelling abroad, including the latest information on coronavirus, safety and security, entry requirements and travel warnings.

! COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice

As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available. Many airlines are suspending flights and many airports are closing, preventing flights from leaving.

Nothing about dates..
                    Correct. Nothing about dates on the FCO site.

i have been getting advisories from the FCO for nearly a month now and trawling back to 18th March ( couldn’t be bothered going back further) the link Annie gave and you quoted is exactly the same as the advisory given on the 18th March.

Comment

Out of interest, the earliest advisory I could find on my email account was January 29th. Earlier than I thought.

So not exactly new advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

End date, even provisionally, would be very helpful to allow travellers to get their money back but the travel industry wouldn’t like it. They want to keep our money to help ‘keep them afloat’ but some of us need our money back to help us keep afloat.
                        What would happen, if an end date was given, officially on the FCO site as this is the site our travel insurers actually quote, and then the date was incorrect?

The timings are unknown quantities so specifics can’t be given.
                        That's my take on it, annoying though it is for many travellers.

Comment

Travel update ✈️: The Foreign Office indefinitely advises against all non-essential global travel ➡️ Read our guidance: https://t.co/G30uvrt6iW➡️ Follow @FCOtravel for country updates➡️ More information here: https://t.co/gEkkRIWaYw pic.twitter.com/ktadUI0Q9t— Foreign Office 🇬🇧 (@foreignoffice) April 4, 2020

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/06/forei...al?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by alandrover, beccles View Post
                            I don't suppose you can claim of your insurance until you officially get a cancellation document/email. Even though they are aware of the world wide travel restrictions, until it's official....
                            I'm still waiting for my flights to Canada to be cancelled for 14th May, so far I have been offered a credit note for future travel but since the cruise has been cancelled and rebooked somewhere else, I no longer want or need those future flights.
                            Insurers won't pay if you travel against FO advice. They can't have it all ways

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post

Phil and Issyalex, we are due to go to Turkey in May for golf, we know we are not going and the agency doing the golf side have offered to move the booking 12 months ahead, our flights are with Turkish airlines and we can exchange for an open ticket, so far so good but it has to be used by Feb 28th 2021 so no use at all, we have to play the waiting game and this advise is worse that useless to us.

John
                              John, we were in a similar position a couple of weeks ago when our Cyprus golf holiday was cancelled. We were offered a full refund or a credit towards an identical holiday (price guaranteed) at a later date. I was keen to take the credit but was outvoted by the majority who wanted the refund as there was concern about whether the golf company will still be in business. Booked via credit card - I had no such reservations. My concern is the position of the GBP v euro. As you know, all these holidays are paid in euros and to get that “guarantee” insofar as future pricing is concerned, was swaying me towards the credit. Anyway, it’s history now, albeit we still await our refund. Golf company currently waiting on the hotel, airline and golf courses refunding them first....it could take a while.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X