• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They Say it is Getting Better

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
    Hi All

What has your recent supermarket experience been??

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-per-household

Annie
    I have no idea. I havent been in a supermarket since all this started. I have had a look for a delivery slot for Tesco a couple of times but nothing available up to 23rd April which is as far as it goes. We have got almost everything we need in the village. What we can't get we are doing without. My husband goes early when it is very quiet. He was well pleased this morning with toilet rolls, gold biscuits and hob nobs ! He couldn't wait to show me. I was still in bed. Who would have thought we would be so excited by toilet rolls.

Comment

I have no direct experience either. Daughter no 1 is our designated shopper. Why do people still go shopping as couples/families? Surely it’s only essential for one person to leave the house to go shopping?

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria, Aberystwyth View Post
        I have no direct experience either. Daughter no 1 is our designated shopper. Why do people still go shopping as couples/families? Surely it’s only essential for one person to leave the house to go shopping?
        When we were children, my mother had a designated shopper - mostly me. She never took as a family to shop - she never had the patience.

However a 1 parent family with young children, there is no alternative??

Annie

Comment

In our case because I am the Chauffeur as my wife does not drive and our supermarkets and shops are not in walking distance. It’s no good sending me shopping on my own.😳😎

Judging by the number of men standing by or sitting in their cars in the Tesco car park I was not the only Chauffeur this morning.😱
          Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 3rd April 2020, 04:11 PM.
          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

In our case because I am the Chauffeur as my wife does not drive and our supermarkets and shops are not in walking distance. It’s no good sending me shopping on my own.😳😎
            I'm our designated shopper and have been for years. I used to quite like it until the virus hit because I got to buy lots of goodies! Now I'd rather not be there, but have no choice. I have totally given up on trying for a home delivery and local shops are pretty hopeless now. I was hoping to reduce my weekly shop to fortnightly but can't because of a complete lack of perishable items locally.

Comment

Just had our first veg box delivered to our door

Comment

Went to Harpenden this morning as gives me the choice of Sainsbury, Waitrose and M & S food. Queued outside Sainsbury for about 15/20 mins. Strictly 1 person per trolley policy, fine by me. Got everything I needed for us and mother-in-law in that shop, so came back well pleased. Only thing missing is an oven cleaner, don't seem to able to get 1 of those locally at all. Maybe everyone is taking the enforced staying in as an opportunity to clean their oven!

Barb

Comment

Quite an encouraging drop in our area today. We must all be behaving ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post

Judging by the number of men standing by or sitting in their cars in the Tesco car park I was not the only Chauffeur this morning.😱
                    As long as they’re sitting in their cars, no damage done. Shouldn’t really be standing around though!

I understand if you don’t have anyone to look after the children then you have no choice but to take them.

Comment

As long as they’re sitting in their cars, no damage done. Shouldn’t really be standing around though!

I understand if you don’t have anyone to look after the children then you have no choice but to take them.

Providing you are not within 2 metres or facing of one another should be OK, those I saw were scattered far away from others, I went for walk whilst my wife was in shop away from other people, part of my daily exercise.
                      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by sandraggg, Newcastle
                        I do the food shopping for our family of four adults and I shop as little as I can manage, but I usually have to take someone with me to wait outside and help with carrying. We don't have a car, so when the Transport Secretary Grant Shapps suggests families should only be shopping once a week, that is a typical comment from someone who perhaps has little idea of car-less life!
                        A lady in an adjoining street has multiple teenage schoolchildren (boys) in her family and does not drive. She shops daily. Normally the eldest boy acts as her Sherpa. You can imagine how much they eat.

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                        agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                        X