• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reducing the lockdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reducing the lockdown

The question was raised of the official briefing "What is the strategy/plan for lessening the lockdown and when will it start?" (paraphrased)

So if you were in charge what would you release first and when?

My thoughts -

When - The first marker is the daily number of infections which should now level off at a relatively low level (5-10 days after lockdown). So after a steady level for 5 days we could resume some freedom.

So first relaxation would be allowing access to more open spaces(2 metre rule still applies) and allow travel by car. As the owner of a detached static caravan I would also open access for owners (but keep communal facilities closed).

Each step would need to be given at least a week to assess the impact on infections and NHS critical care loading.

Then, assuming no major upturn, more returns to work of many could be allowed. Remember the promise of a test for those who have had the disease.

So the process would be:

Make concessions

Review after 7 days

Make concessions (or remove) based on 7 day review

Review............

Until most restrictions are no longer needed.

This is merely my interpretation of the vague political statements that it will be removed and reapplied as necessary.

So what else could be reduced (locally and globally) with a low risk/level of increasing infections?

Cheers

Tony B

They could open my local WMC,,,,,the concert room holds 220 people,,,being as we only get a max 50 people in on a Saturday/Sunday night there is plenty of room for social distancing.

JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

The Great British Public can't even follow lockdown in some areas so ''gradual'' would be a pipedream.

​​​​​​​Keep the lockdown and increase it

Comment

Working from home has to finish before they open the pubs back up

Comment

Just received official notice that I am on furlough for 12 weeks as of yesterday (have been off for last week and a half). To be reviewed then (or earlier based on Gov. advice). Agree it needs to be a 'hard' lockdown - otherwise it will go on and on.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
            The Great British Public can't even follow lockdown in some areas so ''gradual'' would be a pipedream.

Keep the lockdown and increase it
            Completely agree.....Spanish deaths up 950 in one day. The more we do now, the more lives will be saved - Sweden take note. I’m still seeing numerous acts of stupidness in our area. I cycle once a day and it’s worrying to see people ignoring the social distancing rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Keep the lockdown and increase it

Yes, I agree. Far more cars on the roads yesterday when I was out doing my daily walk. Young local lads in fast cars using the country lanes as race tracks.

With fine weather forecast for the coming weekend, I envisage the irresponsible will be out in their thousands.

Keep the lockdown and increase it.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Completely agree.....Spanish deaths up 950 in one day. The more we do now, the more lives will be saved - Sweden take note. I’m still seeing numerous acts of stupidness in our area. I cycle once a day and it’s worrying to see people ignoring the social distancing rules.
                Hi Mike
                Maybe they are from the same family living in the same household,,,,i don't believe they need to leave a distance,,,,,,,,you should ask them.
                JC
                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Sad fo say I think a curfew is required in some areas.

The penalties are far too low - £1000 for each breach would concentrate minds wonderfullty.

Apart from one occasion, prior March 20th, I have not left my home and garden in almost 3 weeks..

I like the Irish rule - all exercise to be carried out within 2 km of your home.

I so feel for those who are suffering from dementia etc and their carers.

There is always someone worse off than yourself.

Short and sharp and let's get this done. If they relax restrictions too soon and the numbers start to spike, guess what will happen?? It is not rocket science

Annie

PS Just a thought - curious how many of the large increase in numbers can be attributed to Cheltenham??

Comment

The lockdown needs to stay in place for the time being and probably will for the rest of April . In the 24 hours leading up to 9pm yesterday, 51 patients just in our local hospital lost their lives to this awful virus. I can't imagine how that affects the families let alone the front line staff .

I'm afraid the death rate will increase rapidly despite a hard lock down but we have to see it through or it will go on forever
                    BIG SHIPS, little ships, small world

Comment

TBH until they get vaccines in place, I don't see how life can get back to normal, we'll just end up back where we started. .................................................. ....Carol

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                        Sad fo say I think a curfew is required in some areas.

The penalties are far too low - £1000 for each breach would concentrate minds wonderfullty.

Apart from one occasion, prior March 20th, I have not left my home and garden in almost 3 weeks..

I like the Irish rule - all exercise to be carried out within 2 km of your home.

I so feel for those who are suffering from dementia etc and their carers.

There is always someone worse off than yourself.

Short and sharp and let's get this done. If they relax restrictions too soon and the numbers start to spike, guess what will happen?? It is not rocket science

Annie

PS Just a thought - curious how many of the large increase in numbers can be attributed to Cheltenham??
                        We lost an aunt who we had helped to look after for the past 3 years who had dementia and it's a mercy that she is not facing the current situation. She would never have understood. There certainly is always someone worse off. I was chatting on the phone to my elder son last night. He and our DIL live in a village between Cardiff and Pontypridd, their house being about 150 metres from the River Taff. Despite 2 flood alerts only a few weeks ago that advised them to get ready to evacuate the flood water did not reach them. However, friends of theirs in Pontypridd were not so fortunate and will not be able to return to their homes for many months. Now they have Covd-19 to face as well.
                        Logic will get you from A to B.
                        Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker, Royal Wootton Bassett View Post

We lost an aunt who we had helped to look after for the past 3 years who had dementia and it's a mercy that she is not facing the current situation. She would never have understood. There certainly is always someone worse off. I was chatting on the phone to my elder son last night. He and our DIL live in a village between Cardiff and Pontypridd, their house being about 150 metres from the River Taff. Despite 2 flood alerts only a few weeks ago that advised them to get ready to evacuate the flood water did not reach them. However, friends of theirs in Pontypridd were not so fortunate and will not be able to return to their homes for many months. Now they have Covd-19 to face as well.
                          I was only discussing the flood victims with a sister yesterday - they are in my thoughts. TBH I don't know how I would cope except I would have to. Puts a cancelled cruise/holiday into perspective.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post

Hi Mike
                            Maybe they are from the same family living in the same household,,,,i don't believe they need to leave a distance,,,,,,,,you should ask them.
                            JC
                            Hi JC, I’m referring to groups between 4 - 6 people standing chatting amongst themselves, all within close proximity to each other. Definitely not related and no where within the guidelines of 2 metres apart. Asking them definitely wouldn’t be a good idea - bandit territory. I cycle much faster through that particular area.

Comment

I dearly wish I could play golf again, but it seems pointless going all this inconvenience only for it to be made worthless by easing the lockdown too early. I was looking at the news this morning. They were interviewing people in a tower block who had barely been out at all. The problem is they have to use tiny lifts which they are scared to do. They also have to use a communal laundry room as none of the flats has its own washing machine. One interviewee had three small children, so 5 of them cooped up in a tiny flat. Much worse off than me.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X