• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctors should stop playing politics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctors should stop playing politics

A Dr Lisa Anderson is touring the media outlets blaming the Prime Minister and government for not providing Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) to WHO standards.

She should know that our standards are set by an expert body here in the UK, independent of the Prime Minister and government. They cater for our methods of working which may differ from other countries. If she has a problem with current standards the professional approach would be to feed it up the line with sound reasoning for her beliefs.

Surprise, surprise, the Prime Minister and Health Secretary do not set medical and technical standards nor decide who gets what. When this was pointed out to her she went rather quiet!

Doctors should stop playing anti-government politics and get behind government efforts to get on top of corona virus situation.

Hi John
    This is what happens when those in government don't listen.
    The government just passed laws giving them the right to do what they want (Almost),,,,,every doctor in the country is saying the same thing,,,if those in charge won't listen,they have no alternative to going public...And so they should.

Doctors and nurses wearing single use surgical masks over and over again is a disgrace.

JC
    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Unfortunately it is very easy to blame the government for other people’s failings.

Slightly off subject, I was due an appointment to see a cardiology doctor this morning at local hospital, instead it was carried out via a phone call from the doctor, he told me I was lucky as in a weeks time all consultations will stop, including those via the telephone.
      Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
        A Dr Lisa Anderson is touring the media outlets blaming the Prime Minister and government for not providing Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) to WHO standards.

She should know that our standards are set by an expert body here in the UK, independent of the Prime Minister and government. They cater for our methods of working which may differ from other countries. If she has a problem with current standards the professional approach would be to feed it up the line with sound reasoning for her beliefs.

Surprise, surprise, the Prime Minister and Health Secretary do not set medical and technical standards nor decide who gets what. When this was pointed out to her she went rather quiet!

Doctors should stop playing anti-government politics and get behind government efforts to get on top of corona virus situation.
        Well said. Completely agree.

Comment

I have zero time for point scoring by anybody at this time. BTW the NHS could spend a bottomless pit of money, some of it inefficiently, and still ask for more - JMO.

During WW2 there was a Coalition Government led by WC who was only appointed because he was preferred over Halifax by Atlee.

Time for the same??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post

Well said. Completely agree.
            Me too. After all, nobody could have predicted the quantity of PPE now required. It would have been pointless having massive stocks which may never have been used.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

Me too. After all, nobody could have predicted the quantity of PPE now required. It would have been pointless having massive stocks which may never have been used.
              According to the editor of Lancet the UK Govt ignored warnings given in January.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

According to the editor of Lancet the UK Govt ignored warnings given in January.

Annie
                I'll stand by what I said. Even in January most of us couldn't have anticipated we'd be where we are now. Somewhat off topic, when my daughter finished her shift in our emergency dept. in Nottingham, there was nobody left waiting to be seen. The department was empty. Granted fewer road and industrial accident victims, but a complete absence of the usual timewasters who shouldn't be in the emergency dept at all.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

I'll stand by what I said. Even in January most of us couldn't have anticipated we'd be where we are now. Somewhat off topic, when my daughter finished her shift in our emergency dept. in Nottingham, there was nobody left waiting to be seen. The department was empty. Granted fewer road and industrial accident victims, but a complete absence of the usual timewasters who shouldn't be in the emergency dept at all.
                  Every cloud has its silver linings

Annie

Comment

Excess seasonal deaths are down from the base line since Dec.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                      Hi John
                      This is what happens when those in government don't listen.
                      The government just passed laws giving them the right to do what they want (Almost),,,,,every doctor in the country is saying the same thing,,,if those in charge won't listen,they have no alternative to going public...And so they should.

Doctors and nurses wearing single use surgical masks over and over again is a disgrace.

JC
                      Hi JC,

I am surprised you feel you are competent to comment on the standard of PPE doctors should be supplied with. I am certainly not and I don't think the Prime Minister is either.

That is why we have an expert body deciding on these things. Those procuring equipment are governed by the standards laid down and not making up their own standards. Doctors concerns should be addressed to the expert body and not playing anti-government politics.

Regardless of what should or should not be supplied, huge quantities cannot be magicked out of thin air to cope with a once in generations event.

Comment

Point scoring is not helpful.Pointing out failings in the hope they are addressed is a different matter.
                        The government stated that all necessary supplies had been delivered over the weekend to those who needed it.They hadn't,why spin something like that?
                        Hasn't Jeremy Hunt been pointing out deficiencies for the last couple of weeks?He might be bitter,but presumably has an insight you'd like to hope.
                        Politicians shouldn't try to be medics:
                        Herd immunity
                        You're ok at large events
                        Parents in separate houses can visit their children

Last edited by philhar, wallasey; 25th March 2020, 02:10 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                          Hi JC,

I am surprised you feel you are competent to comment on the standard of PPE doctors should be supplied with. I am certainly not and I don't think the Prime Minister is either.

That is why we have an expert body deciding on these things. Those procuring equipment are governed by the standards laid down and not making up their own standards. Doctors concerns should be addressed to the expert body and not playing anti-government politics.

Regardless of what should or should not be supplied, huge quantities cannot be magicked out of thin air to cope with a once in generations event.
                          Hi John
                          You speak to your predjudices,,,,,,,During the Brexit debate you castigated any 'experts' who spoke out against Brexit,,now when it suits you you laud them.

Your argument is weak,your cant quote standards being the reason for shortages of PPE when the government has just passed laws the relax standard in all walks of life,from food standard ,working hours for delivery drivers etc.

I earlier watched PMQ's,,every question he was asked re lack of equipment is answer was 'I agree'.

BTW,,,,it's Doctors who are putting their lives on the line to save lives,they have every right to ask The government to support them,and bring it to the publics attention if they feel they are not stepping up to the plate.

My daughter is a key worker (not one of your experts admittedly) in a local hospital,,all the staff there are frightened to death of going home and contaminating their partners or kids,,,,,because they are working without proper PPE.
                          JC

C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                          "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                            Hi John
                            You speak to your predjudices,,,,,,,During the Brexit debate you castigated any 'experts' who spoke out against Brexit,,now when it suits you you laud them.

Your argument is weak,your cant quote standards being the reason for shortages of PPE when the government has just passed laws the relax standard in all walks of life,from food standard ,working hours for delivery drivers etc.

I earlier watched PMQ's,,every question he was asked re lack of equipment is answer was 'I agree'.

BTW,,,,it's Doctors who are putting their lives on the line to save lives,they have every right to ask The government to support them,and bring it to the publics attention if they feel they are not stepping up to the plate.

My daughter is a key worker (not one of your experts admittedly) in a local hospital,,all the staff there are frightened to death of going home and contaminating their partners or kids,,,,,because they are working without proper PPE.
                            JC
                            Simple. Get the expert body to change the specification if evidence says they are specifying the wrong equipment and then the "correct" equipment will be purchased and issued.

The purchasing officer only purchases that which is specified. Rightly or wrongly that is how it works. The purchasing officer doesn't buy apples because he/she prefers them over oranges. He/she has no knowledge or authority to buy something different.

At least that is how it worked wherever I worked.

Comment

seems to be working...............nothing to do with the government and their herd immunity plan, anyone who dies its all the fault of the public
                              Last edited by andyn, Bucks; 25th March 2020, 07:04 PM.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X