• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It a True Lock Down??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is It a True Lock Down??

Good Morning

I understand that the children of separated families under the 18 can travel between the homes of their parents - even hundreds of miles apart??

Work on building sites can continue??

Who is an essential worker??

How often can dogs be walked??

London Public Transport is still running.

Is it a true lock down??

Annie
    Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 24th March 2020, 07:14 AM.

I really appreciate how difficult it is to manage this situation.
    However,to beat this difficult choices have been made but others have been dodged.Gove changed the policy on separated parents in 30 minutes this morning. It might be compassionate but it defies logic as does construction sites remaining open.
    Transport needs to be limited more too.

Comment

One of the purposes of the lock down is to protect the NHS, if you shut the public transport network down in London then you effectively shut down the NHS, most staff have to commute in for work, the same applies to other key workers.

No easy or obvious answer, we will need to venture out tomorrow as we are trying to stick to a weekly shop, lets see how that goes.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
        One of the purposes of the lock down is to protect the NHS, if you shut the public transport network down in London then you effectively shut down the NHS, most staff have to commute in for work, the same applies to other key workers.

No easy or obvious answer, we will need to venture out tomorrow as we are trying to stick to a weekly shop, lets see how that goes.

John
        Hi John

I was a patient of UCLH - there are dozens of hotels within walking distance of the hospital. Are these hotels full?? Requisition them! Charter buses.

Pictures from the Tube this morning:
        https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...d-trains#img-1

BTW what is a key worker??

Annie
        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 24th March 2020, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post

John
          I agree John but if you see the footage from the tube this morning those are not all key workers.
          Hard to police but if people won't obey a way needs to be found.Those scenes are ridiculous and likely to infect the key workers.

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

I agree John but if you see the footage from the tube this morning those are not all key workers.
            Hard to police but if people won't obey a way needs to be found.Those scenes are ridiculous and likely to infect the key workers.
            No. It's not an effective lockdown in some areas, obviously looking at todays photos. Annoying as my area, apart from feral youths,[bring in the army or better still pressgang the morons into it for a spell of service] is already following the protocols.
            This isn't an exhaustive list but just a quick thought.
            My suggestion would be specific I.D cards and when I say specific, public sector and health [pharmacy etc] workers deemed essential one colour, food transporters and staff another and the others, another and let's get real, pet shop workers are not essential to the well being of the nation in a humanitarian crisis.

Don't have one? Then can't use public transport.
            Harsh but the only way.

Comment

There was a need to do something. Too many stupid, selfish people about. However, there does seem to be a lack of logic. I can walk my dog OR go for a bike ride, even though both are carried out in almost deserted locations. A couple of weeks ago, golf was said by one of the "experts" advising the govt. to be a good idea because people don't need to be close together. Now it isn't OK. But London Underground seems to be still jam packed. No wonder London has the highest rate of infection. Food shopping is OK, and I'll bet supermarkets will continue to be busy. We need to eat, but why not allow supermarkets to be open longer, but limit the number of people in at any one time. On the subject of shopping, I noticed that on Ebay, some a***holes are selling Andrex for up to £35 plus postage for 9 rolls. A number of youths have been arrested for deliberately coughing in the faces of some old people. Situations like this seem to bring out the best in some people and the worst in others.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

No. It's not an effective lockdown in some areas, obviously looking at todays photos. Annoying as my area, apart from feral youths,[bring in the army or better still pressgang the morons into it for a spell of service] is already following the protocols.
                My suggestion would be specific I.D cards and when I say specific, public sector and health [pharmacy etc] workers deemed essential one colour, food transporters and staff another and the others, another and let's get real, pet shop workers are not essential to the well being of the nation in a humanitarian crisis.

Harsh but the only way.
                I was going to suggest NHS I D cards if you are a key worker in another sector you will be able to provide proof.Time consuming but necessary

Comment

Yes, I agree, they are not all key workers on the tube. How they police it, sadly I have no idea.

I spent thirty years working in the City of London and travelling in from Berkshire. Taking daily trips on the tube is hazardous at the best of times, frequently jammed, check by jowl to other travellers. You are subjected to every cough and sneeze, with no way of escaping the germs.

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post

I was going to suggest NHS I D cards if you are a key worker in another sector you will be able to provide proof.Time consuming but necessary
                    Totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post

Harsh but the only way.
                      Pets need to be fed though.

Comment

I have an appointment with Cardiology Doctor tomorrow at my local hospital, I have rung the hospital to see if It’s been cancelled as I have heard nothing, was informed unless I have been notified otherwise the appointment still stands!
                        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post

Pets need to be fed though.
                          They do and the supermarkets sell pet food, as does the veterinary practice. In the greater scheme of things, if push came to shove, pet shops are not part of the NHS and the nation's food chain food chain essential workers and I speak as a pet lover.

Comment

0D473574-34DE-43FB-8285-C7FB07420399.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post
                              Good Morning

I understand that the children of separated families under the 18 can travel between the homes of their parents - even hundreds of miles apart??

Work on building sites can continue??

Who is an essential worker??

How often can dogs be walked??

London Public Transport is still running.

Is it a true lock down??

Annie
                              Our son is a builder and he is not working as of today and one of our neighbours is a bricklayer and he also is not at work.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X