• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesco

Supermarkets are taking a lot of criticism at the moment. I’d like to give our local Tesco a mention. Opening hours are now 8.00 to 22.00 and at 8.30 it was busy, but I’ve seen it worse. Availability was good except for paracetamol which you would expect. Staff were helpful and cheerful. They were operating a post office like queue with dispatchers policing it. Worked well, but ended in the wine isle. New marketing ploy? 10/10 Tesco, Ashby de la Zouch!

My wife tried to order some things on line from Waitrose last night. After she'd finished her order ( quite a small one) the message came up saying that they were unable to give her a delivery slot or arrange a pick up from the store. Why couldn't that message be shown at the beginning? I'm due to go on Sunday as usual. Apparently the first hour is for the elderly, vulnerable etc. I think I probably qualify as elderly, so we'll see what happens. Local shops seemed to have a decent supply of food items yesterday. Perhaps shopping locally is the best thing to do.

Comment

I found a delivery slot with Tesco for next Wednesday. I filled my basket, knowing that I was likely to go in and change it. Following comments from other people, I checked my basket yesterday. A large proportion of the items are out of stock. I realise that may change, but if it does remain the same I will have to cancel. The charge for delivery for orders under £40 is too much. As far as I can remember, I think it may be £7.
      2018-
      Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
      NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
      Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
      Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
      Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We have been to Tesco this morning for what was a normal weekly shop, left home 9/30am back 10/30 very leisurely shop. Staff friendly and smiling. We did self scan but were chosen at till for a random scan of 10 items. Maximum of 3 of any one item, even although some items were marked up two for one, you could not have 4 items.

Certain things were out of stock,eggs,toilet rolls paracetamols, sausages a lot veg fresh/frozen, but managed to get most of what we wanted. A massive hike in prices on some items.

I understand earlier it was manic.
        Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 20th March 2020, 10:08 AM.
        Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

It is not difficult to cope without leaving the house if you want to. Morrisons deliver every week and we have the next 3 weeks orders booked. Our pharmacy delivers prescriptions. Our Amazon Prime gives us next day delivery on anything else we need and there is always ebay. We haven't been out at all this week apart from walks around the garden. The postamn has checked every day that we are ok.

Comment

My younger two both work on the logistic side of Tesco, it's interesting seeing things from their point of view too. They are both now working from home, extra hours (unpaid), and over time too which is paid. They said a lot of the depots are now taking on temporary staff to help with the loading and unloading of the lorries, and a lot of the stores are doing so too.

I don't think it will carry on like this, surely people must have enough stuff by now!! .........................................Carol

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
              My wife tried to order some things on line from Waitrose last night. After she'd finished her order ( quite a small one) the message came up saying that they were unable to give her a delivery slot or arrange a pick up from the store. Why couldn't that message be shown at the beginning? I'm due to go on Sunday as usual. Apparently the first hour is for the elderly, vulnerable etc. I think I probably qualify as elderly, so we'll see what happens. Local shops seemed to have a decent supply of food items yesterday. Perhaps shopping locally is the best thing to do.
              Yes, I think shopping locally is the way to go, support your local retailers wherever possible. My daughter has just been to one of our local farm shops and collected a few items for me. She said there was plenty of fresh produce, milk, bread and meat. Trays of three dozen eggs were selling like hot cakes. I accept that their prices are above those of the supermarkets, but these independent suppliers need our support.

I have been self isolating for the past week, I’m over 70, doing the sensible thing and staying indoors. It annoys me when I read that other people in the 70+ age group are following their normal day to day life, with no thoughts of self isolating. In my opinion it’s selfish behaviour., you are compromising your own health, as well as that of others around you. I must add that these comments are not targeted at any particular individuals. Stay safe and well everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie, Oxford View Post

Yes, I think shopping locally is the way to go, support your local retailers wherever possible. My daughter has just been to one of our local farm shops and collected a few items for me. She said there was plenty of fresh produce, milk, bread and meat. Trays of three dozen eggs were selling like hot cakes. I accept that their prices are above those of the supermarkets, but these independent suppliers need our support.

I have been self isolating for the past week, I’m over 70, doing the sensible thing and staying indoors. It annoys me when I read that other people in the 70+ age group are following their normal day to day life, with no thoughts of self isolating. In my opinion it’s selfish behaviour., you are compromising your own health, as well as that of others around you. I must add that these comments are not targeted at any particular individuals. Stay safe and well everyone.
                I agree on the self isolating issue. I’m on chemo and my immune system is weakened. Thursday and Friday are my strongest days, so that’s when I go out. It is a psychological thing, I refuse to be a victim. My in laws, aged 90 are carrying on as normal, including caring for their seven year old granddaughter even though both parents are at home. They want to come and visit us! Nooooooo!

Comment

Originally posted by zopadooper, skegness (2) View Post
                  It is not difficult to cope without leaving the house if you want to. Morrisons deliver every week and we have the next 3 weeks orders booked. Our pharmacy delivers prescriptions. Our Amazon Prime gives us next day delivery on anything else we need and there is always ebay. We haven't been out at all this week apart from walks around the garden. The postamn has checked every day that we are ok.
                  You are lucky if you can get a weekly delivery slot, in our town we have all the main supermarkets including 2 Morrison’s stores and you cannot get a delivery slot for 3/4 weeks and then when you check on line most of the items are out of stock.
                  Our pharmacy will not deliver.

I don’t have a problem going out use the car to travel and social distance when out.
                  Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 20th March 2020, 11:09 AM.
                  Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post

I agree on the self isolating issue. I’m on chemo and my immune system is weakened. Thursday and Friday are my strongest days, so that’s when I go out. It is a psychological thing, I refuse to be a victim. My in laws, aged 90 are carrying on as normal, including caring for their seven year old granddaughter even though both parents are at home. They want to come and visit us! Nooooooo!
                    I know you are suffering severe health problems and I am very sorry you are having to undertake chemo. You have my sympathy and good wishes.

My grandchildren whom I normally look after, have now been banned from visiting. I hope your in laws manage to stay germ free. I would politely ask them not to visit, for their own health and more importantly, yours.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterM, Southwell View Post
                      My wife tried to order some things on line from Waitrose last night. After she'd finished her order ( quite a small one) the message came up saying that they were unable to give her a delivery slot or arrange a pick up from the store. Why couldn't that message be shown at the beginning?
                      i do a weekly on line shop at Waitrose and I always select a delivery slot before picking the items. Up until about two weeks ago there were slots available two days down the line. Now it’s about six weeks or none at all like today.
                      Brian

Comment

Our nearest Tesco (and other supermarkets) are 16 miles away. I always do online for delivery and I shop for us and my mother in law too.
                        I expected loads to be missing off my order this morning but it was only a few bits.

Everything came in bags so to minimise handling of the boxes. Quite ironic that plastic free seems to have gone out the window at the moment. I didn’t need ten bags for life so I gave 8 back to the driver so they could reuse them.

I also bought a bar of Cadbury Chocolate on my order.
                        I can’t eat Cadbury’s and I didn’t buy it for us. Instead I pointed it out to the delivery driver and told him it was a treat for him. He was absolutely overwhelmed.
                        It cost me £1.50 and it made his day.

We shop local for other things but the small local shops are expensive and don’t have the items I need for my dietary needs.

We are making a conscious effort to support other local businesses.
                        Past cruises:
                        Carnival Conquest October 2002
                        Independence of the Seas October 2012
                        Independence of the Seas May 2014
                        Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                        Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Well done, Cymrucruiser! What a brilliant gesture buying a chocolate bar for your driver. A small act of kindness but with a huge impact. More of this please in the coming days. Jen

Comment

We have had to make several trips to the supermarkets in our area to try and get our shopping done . We couldn’t believe how empty the shelves were. What was upsetting to me was the fact that there wasn’t even enough to make up one basket of groceries for the food bank. Our local Aldi is working nonstop to fill their shelves as are the other stores. I told the young chap filling up shelves there that we appreciated his efforts and told him to stay well. A kind word goes a long way at the moment.

Take care, Helen

Comment

My daughter, who’s a nurse, has worked 13 hour shifts all this week. Today was supposed to be her day off but they asked her to work 09.00-21.00! She phoned me today in a panic as she had run out of cat food and all her nearby shops will be closed by the time she’s finished. So out I goes thinking I’d pick up these items no problem. How wrong I was. Yes I did manage to get the cat food in Lidl but no cat litter. Then went to local Tesco no cat litter, two other Tesco’s a wee bit further away no cat litter. I was beginning to think she’d need to teach her 2 cats how to pee outside or use the toilet! 🙈😂😂 then I thought right Issy try your local corner ( well ours is at a roundabout) shop and low and behold cat litter. 4 supermarkets and 40mins later I had found the cat litter in a wee local shop. I think I’ll be trying the wee local shops in future.
                              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X