• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to minimise stockpiling of goods from supermarkets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mrs M has just been to the local Sainsburys and it has been virtually picked clean. Same at the local Iceland. It reminds me of the joke (maybe it wasn't) of the former Soviet Union where if you saw someone outside a shop with empty shopping bags you didn't know if they were about to go shopping or had just been.
    Logic will get you from A to B.
    Imagination will take you everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
      The problem is if you say quantity is restricted to 2 only many people will buy 2 to be on the safe side in case there is none tomorrow. Of course then there will be none tomorrow.
      There must come a time soon when people can’t find any more room to store stuff and there will be plenty on the shelves again.
      The 'empty nesters' will have spare bedrooms to hold stock??

After I sustained a fracture to my spine in 1979, I have always held a small stock as a contingency. I checked my stock last night and I only require fresh milk and produce.

However I am intrigued what is everyone buying?? Also is this a regional issue??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

After I sustained a fracture to my spine in 1979, I have always held a small stock as a contingency. I checked my stock last night and I only require fresh milk and produce.

However I am intrigued what is everyone buying?? Also is this a regional issue??

Annie
        The new fad diet of pasta (no stocks) and tinned tomatoes (no stocks) is leading to diarrhoea (no stocks of toilet rolls) and people are starting to wash their hands after using the toilet (no stocks of liquid hand wash).

My sister and her husband went to the early morning pensioners priority at Sainsburys in Chippenham this morning. Queues of cars trying to get into the car park and nothing on the shelves when they finally got in the store.

When the scaremongering media say to older folks you must self isolate, possibly up to 12 weeks, it is not surprising if they do try to stock up.

Comment

I know of someone who has had to resort to posting, yes posting toilet rolls to her daughter in Solihull today as she could not get any, anywhere
          I told her that they would probably not reach their destination........

Carol

sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Our local Tesco has been stripped of almost everything you can think of, local Co Op still well stocked, we now have fresh food for the next 5 days and a store cupboard/freezer that would keep us going for another week, assuming we could get milk somewhere.

Next Shop will be Wednesday next week.

One last thought, Easter will be fun when the shops are closed for an extra 24 hours

John

Comment

Annie

Visited the local Tesco garage this morning to fill up with petrol, also managed to get a 4 pint bottle of milk, they had a number of bottles on the shelf.
              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
                The new fad diet of pasta (no stocks) and tinned tomatoes (no stocks) is leading to diarrhoea (no stocks of toilet rolls) and people are starting to wash their hands after using the toilet (no stocks of liquid hand wash).

My sister and her husband went to the early morning pensioners priority at Sainsburys in Chippenham this morning. Queues of cars trying to get into the car park and nothing on the shelves when they finally got in the store.

When the scaremongering media say to older folks you must self isolate, possibly up to 12 weeks, it is not surprising if they do try to stock up.
                Do they actually know how much food they require for 12 weeks??

It is just not the over 70s who have to self isolate. I have a 30 year old immunocompromised nephew in the same situation - but heck he is doing it.

Many families don't have the financial reserves to stockpile.

Annie

Comment

From a very early age I was taught to do as I was told. It is a philosphy I have applied for the past 71 years and it has never let me down. IMy wife and I are now doing what we have been told. Staying in, buying whatever we can on our weekly Morrison delivery and coping as best we can. If only peopledid as they were told we would have far fewer problems.

Comment

Originally posted by zopadooper, skegness (2) View Post
                    From a very early age I was taught to do as I was told. It is a philosphy I have applied for the past 71 years and it has never let me down. IMy wife and I are now doing what we have been told. Staying in, buying whatever we can on our weekly Morrison delivery and coping as best we can. If only peopledid as they were told we would have far fewer problems.

My wife tried to get an on line delivery about a week ago and the earliest she could get a slot was end of March.

Also a lot of the items on the list were out of stock.

We have been operating social distancing, no problems so far.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Annie
                      So you are castigating everyone who is building up a stock as contingency because they didnt have the foresight to do it over 40 years ago

Comment

On Monday evening we did a Tesco delivery shop with the first available slot 6/4/20 which we accepted. We will be ok as we have friends and family nearby but did not want to put a burden on anyone else if we go into a lock down situation. The world is mad at the moment - how quickly our lives have changed. Jen

Comment

Local waitrose now closing early as most stuff gone.

Pub so few people easy to exercise better distancing than any shop.

Got some eggs(down to 5 at home) next door came round and had them as they could not find any.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn, Bucks View Post

So you are castigating everyone who is building up a stock as contingency because they didnt have the foresight to do it over 40 years ago
                            I am not castigating - I am curious what and how much they are buying.

Annie
                            Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 20th March 2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Got my one bag of shopping this morning from M&S
                              Popped into Tesco and got some 'fresh' OJ and looked at the empty shelves. No eggs, bread, semi skimmed milk, Weetabix and some other staples I use.

Luckily, my corner shop has them all.

What amazes me is, you have to use a car to get to these supermarkets. I saw elderly folk wandering around looking bewildered. They could easily go to a corner shop butI have come to the conclusion, we are so conditioned, as a nation, to shop big, the small outlets don't figure.
                              I am guilty of that for pure convenience.

Well I'm not now. My butcher delivers anyway, and I am now a confirmed customer of my little local shop. Hopefully, the ''High Street'', or what's left of it, will benefit from all this.

Comment

I did say on another thread that ration books should be brought back... obviously not as austere as during the war, but I personally think that is the only way to put a stop to this appalling behaviour. Seeing that poor nurse crying on the news unable to buy anything made me nearly cry too! I think things are going to get worse with this greed.

Carol
                                sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X