• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to minimise stockpiling of goods from supermarkets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to minimise stockpiling of goods from supermarkets

Desperate times require desperate measures.

I would like to see supermarkets remove all the trolleys from the stores and allow customers to shop using a hand basket only.

Contentious, controversial, unfair, unworkable discuss

John

Just increases the number of trips through the tills to the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
      Desperate times require desperate measures.

I would like to see supermarkets remove all the trolleys from the stores and allow customers to shop using a hand basket only.

Contentious, controversial, unfair, unworkable discuss

John
      Works for me.

The only exception is when my sister and I shop at Waitrose - we share a trolley.

or

You are only allowed to fill 2 Bags for Life worth of products??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Works for me.

The only exception is when my sister and I shop at Waitrose - we share a trolley.

or

You are only allowed to fill 2 Bags for Life worth of products??

Annie
        I did think about one or two bags as an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
          Just increases the number of trips through the tills to the car.
          Yes, but it gives more chance to everyone to get at least some of what they need

Comment

Yes, but it gives more chance to everyone to get at least some of what they need
            Which increases the number of contacts defeating the object of isolation.

Comment

I could not carry a basket around the shop now. The coop have wheelie baskets which hold more than the hand held, but not so much as a trolley. I want to shop only once a week and restrict contact with others. I buy what we need for the week. Fortunately our Tesco has remained well stocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

Which increases the number of contacts defeating the object of isolation.
                True, but if you are isolating you should not be there at all

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                  I could not carry a basket around the shop now. The coop have wheelie baskets which hold more than the hand held, but not so much as a trolley. I want to shop only once a week and restrict contact with others. I buy what we need for the week. Fortunately our Tesco has remained well stocked.
                  Its another option, just trying to stop the selfish and greedy behavior.

Comment

Or go back to the good old days of half a century ago when my mother shopped every day at the local shops. If more people are going to be working from home, there will be no need for the big weekly shop.I am going to support my little local shop from now on and am grateful for their existence. I have put my name down for their delivery service when it starts as more folk become self isolated.

Goods will be paid for over the phone, we pick up the shopping and deliver it to the door. No contact for us apart from picking up the shopping, which will be labelled and ready.
                    I know of at least one village tea shop [not in my village yet] which is going to start home deliveries apparently, relying on the goodwill of the locals if their staff can't manage it all.

I live in a very friendly village, to start with. It seems to me, it's just building on the goodwill already in existence. My world IS a nice one and it's now showing its true colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
                      I don't have the patience to use a supermarket more than once a week. I do a very large on-line shop once every 2 months for heavier goods.

Annie

Comment

True, but if you are isolating you should not be there at all
                        The person you have doing your shopping then has a bigger job collecting enough for you and themselves and gets put at greater risk

Everyone should be reducing contact opportunities.

Shopping in rotation would be more effective at reducing the numbers shopping at the same time.

Comment

My wife is on a local Facebook page! there was a post telling those who needed toilet rolls of a local store who stock up each morning.

This women was at the store at 7:40am this morning, by the time it opened at 8am the queue was like it is at sales time, she bought one packet of 18, but said others were still filling their trolleys.

One couple had two trolleys and they filled both with toilet rolls, then went to separate tills to pay,

The person who posted, said she asked the check out assistant if there was a limit on purchases, was told all they ask is for people to be sensible.!
                          Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy, Essex View Post
                            My wife is on a local Facebook page! there was a post telling those who needed toilet rolls of a local store who stock up each morning.

This women was at the store at 7:40am this morning, by the time it opened at 8am the queue was like it is at sales time, she bought one packet of 18, but said others were still filling their trolleys.

One couple had two trolleys and they filled both with toilet rolls, then went to separate tills to pay,

The person who posted, said she asked the check out assistant if there was a limit on purchases, was told all they ask is for people to be sensible.!
                            No wonder I don't like supermarkets. I would have had to say something.

I heard a story today in which a younger person refused to share the last packs of toilet rolls with an OAP in a local corner shop. The owner promptly took the goods off the younger person, evicted them and told then not to return.

Annie

Comment

I have just been speaking to my son who told me that in one of the Scandinavian Countries customers can buy 2 of any item at the normal price, each successive item is sold at double the previous price, no idea if its true or how it would work but it would soon slow things down

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X