• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would you do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what would you do?

Hi forum chums, I'm after your advice!

We have two cruises booked in April, the first on MSC Opera, a 5 night round trip from Barcelona over Easter. It ends on the Thursday following Easter Monday.

The second departs on the following Sunday, the 19th from Hamburg on MSC Preziosa.

The Preziosa cruise was booked first, and we've arranged to meet around 50 or so people onboard through our Facebook groups. As we've done Hamburg before we were going to go to Berlin but with the demise of Flybe our flight to Berlin no longer exists. The Preziosa cruise isn't negotiable given how many we've arranged to meet, some of whom are our clients.

With the Covid19 situation, MSC have offered that if we notify them 22 days prior to sailing that we can move to another cruise departing within 12 months then we can do, just pay the difference.

We've not yet booked flights for the BCN departure.

Really don't know what to do. Should we leave it and move the Opera cruise to something else? Fly to Barcelona, do that cruise, then on to Germany without coming home? Difficult to know the best thing to do?

Only you can judge any potential health issues.

For me, it wouldn’t be so much the catching a virus that would be the problem, so much as possible quarantine problems.
    Luckily, we don’t have any immediate Med area cruises booked, but then, we don’t fly, we cruise from Southampton.

Comment

It is a difficult decision and I’m glad it’s not me in that position.I would be uncomfortable booking any cruises at the moment. Fortunately, we don’t have anything booked for the next 6 months. We’ve decided to hold off booking our October cruise until things settle down 🤞

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post
        Hi forum chums, I'm after your advice!

We have two cruises booked in April, the first on MSC Opera, a 5 night round trip from Barcelona over Easter. It ends on the Thursday following Easter Monday.

The second departs on the following Sunday, the 19th from Hamburg on MSC Preziosa.

The Preziosa cruise was booked first, and we've arranged to meet around 50 or so people onboard through our Facebook groups. As we've done Hamburg before we were going to go to Berlin but with the demise of Flybe our flight to Berlin no longer exists. The Preziosa cruise isn't negotiable given how many we've arranged to meet, some of whom are our clients.

With the Covid19 situation, MSC have offered that if we notify them 22 days prior to sailing that we can move to another cruise departing within 12 months then we can do, just pay the difference.

We've not yet booked flights for the BCN departure.

Really don't know what to do. Should we leave it and move the Opera cruise to something else? Fly to Barcelona, do that cruise, then on to Germany without coming home? Difficult to know the best thing to do?
        You have 2 days between the cruises??

2 days, JMO, is insufficient time for Berlin - love that city.

I would not return to the UK between the cruises - not worth the hassle - JMO.

Do you have an alternative carrier flying direct to Germany from BHX?? If not, stay in BCN and fly direct to Hamburg from there.

Annie

PS I have written this as a lady of leisure with no work commitments.
        Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 5th March 2020, 09:54 PM.

Comment

If you've got time to "waste " between cruises, what about taking a train across Europe, makes change from flying and you get to see a lot more. Stop where you want for the night. Something a bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

You have 2 days between the cruises??

2 days, JMO, is insufficient time for Berlin - love that city.

I would not return to the UK between the cruises - not worth the hassle - JMO.

Do you have an alternative carrier flying direct to Germany from BHX?? If not, stay in BCN and fly direct to Hamburg from there.

Annie

PS I have written this as a lady of leisure with no work commitments.
            Hi Annie, we have been to Berlin twice before, 8-10 years ago so it's time for a re-visit... We didn't realise as such the close proximity between the cruises when we booked the second one

Comment

Originally posted by 1fifthavenue, birmingham View Post

Hi Annie, we have been to Berlin twice before, 8-10 years ago so it's time for a re-visit... We didn't realise as such the close proximity between the cruises when we booked the second one
              Just checked the VTG website and the Opera cruise ends on the Wed and visits Northern Italy ?? just checking.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Just checked the VTG website and the Opera cruise ends on the Wed and visits Northern Italy ?? just checking.

Annie
                yes it does, Genoa is a port of call

Comment

The decision To go or not to go can only be made by yourselves. If you do go I’d do what others have said, stay in Europe between cruises.

we are on Oceania Sirena 1st April, we fly out to Miami on 31st March. We are visiting Bermuda overnight, Bahamas x 2 ports, South Carolina overnight and Port Canaveral. Unless advised by our government we will be going. We’ve been looking forward to it for the last year and disappointed would be an understatement if it was cancelled. I’m not easily frightened re viruses or infections. This might be because I’ve built up an excellent immune system due to being exposed to loads of infections during my 46 years of nursing and I’ve not caught anything, yet or I’m just washing my hands properly and doing my reverse barrier nursing correctly. 😷 🤧 🤷🏻*♀️
                  don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Flight, cruise...cruise ....sounds to me you have all the qualifications to be a super spreader.

Just joking...keep washing your paws and you'll be ok.

Garf.

Comment

Enjoy your trip, you are both young and healthy and in a very low risk group, the great unknown is of course your fellow passengers and what the consequences could be of their health problems, that leaves you with a judgement call that only you can make.

Between cruises, Berlin, its a fabulous city with so much to see and do, if you haevnt done this its worth doing and needs booking

https://www.bundestag.de/en/visitthe...tag/dome/tours

John

Comment

Hi Tim and Andy, bit of a dilemma, but generally it takes a lot to put me off going especially as you're not going to any hot spots (not yet anyway!)
                        We're booked on a cruise from Venice but I'm hopeful the danger will have passed by June.
                        Personally, I'd go straight to Germany.
                        Hope you are able to have a great trip.

Comment

Originally posted by philhar, wallasey View Post
                          Hi Tim and Andy, bit of a dilemma, but generally it takes a lot to put me off going especially as you're not going to any hot spots (not yet anyway!)
                          We're booked on a cruise from Venice but I'm hopeful the danger will have passed by June.
                          Personally, I'd go straight to Germany.
                          Hope you are able to have a great trip.
                          The biggest potential hotspot is the MSC Opera - problems at Athens and now possibly Malta - just to make you aware.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51773724

Annie

Comment

I have friends who are self employed physios and can't work by video call, skype or from home, obviously.

They have decided at the moment, to book a UK break for Easter and are waiting to see how things develop as far as their summer holidays are concerned.

Their worry is not the virus itself, but the fact they might be quarantined and thus unable to work and yes. I know that could happen within their practice but they're trying to avoid hot spots such as planes and airports etc.

The potential this virus has, to halt life as we know it for a week or two is mind blowing for those still working.

Comment

If I was able to cruise I would be there in a heartbeat. But, it depends on the company. We know we should be well looked after on Seabourn and any itinerary changes will be dealt with to the best of their ability and flight changes made for us.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X