• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greta Thunberg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greta Thunberg

OK rant time! The child is at best misguided at worst a menace. She has been in Bristol today, speaking at one of ‘her’ rallies.
    She has caused traffic congestion, thus more pollution.
    She has encouraged children to truant, which sends the message it’s OK to miss school.
    How'd she get to Bristol, by bike?
    Who is paying for the extra police officers?
    Why is she not speaking in India and China?
    Why is she not lobbying in her own country where wood burners are still very common.
    Does she have any scientific or economic qualifications?

OK rant over, now ducking down.

I couldn’t agree more! My son has his company office in Bristol & has told his staff to work from home today as Bristol is gridlocked. The aerosols used to paint the huge billboard with Greta Thunberg on probably did more damage to the ozone layer.
    Plus all the traffic backed up & revving their engines adding to the air pollution.
    Not to mention encouraging children to take a day off school!l
    I wholeheartedly agree with Cooke, the child is a menace.

Comment

Yes, why is she not speaking in India and China? They are the major polluters.

She is a 17 year old who spouts "motherhood and apple pie" stuff and yet knows nothing about life. She has never had to earn a living, put food on the table and a roof over her head. Has never had to juggle limited funds to meet everyday needs. Her constant preaching, and that of the BBC and of course the "celebrities", just causes the majority to switch off at the hypocrisy of it all.

We are 1% of the worlds population and produce 1 1/2% of the worlds "nasties". There is nothing, absolutely nothing, we can do that will have any measurable effect whatsoever. Yes, we must be good citizens and and do our little bit but should recognise we are just "virtue signalling".

Does anyone seriously suggest the 6 billion less well off people in the world are going to accept that they cannot have running water, good sanitation, 3 good meals a day, a sound roof over their heads, tv, motorcycles, cars, 2 or more holidays a year and travel the world like the 1 billion of us well off people in the world? If so they are living in cloud cuckoo land. The less well off quite rightly expect it and eventually will demand it by force if necessary.
      Last edited by JohnR, Chippenham; 28th February 2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I disagree, she is voicing the concerns of many of the younger generation who will be living with the consequences of the actions of others, I support and applaud her.

John

Comment

In the words of Brian Conley..."she's a puppet"

Regards
          Garf.

Comment

Call me an old sceptic, but I wonder how many schoolchildren, who bunked off for the day, would join her if the rally was held in school holidays?

Comment

I read this on line, but it sums up my feelings about this young lady. 😉

”The real problem with the climate change activist sensation Greta Thunberg is not that she is 16 years old. Rather, it is that she is a clueless fanatic who is considered brave and enlightened for promoting a cause that almost everyone agrees with without any study or reflection. And it is the duty of anyone who does not want clueless fanaticism to determine policies affecting billions to call it out as such.”
              Last edited by Delboy, Essex; 28th February 2020, 04:02 PM.
              Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Not as bad as Harry and Megan preaching about climate change and using private jets would you say?

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
                  I disagree, she is voicing the concerns of many of the younger generation who will be living with the consequences of the actions of others, I support and applaud her.

John
                  You support and applauded her? Why? She has no idea of the wider picture. Go to industrial China and see the extent of the pollution. Go to India and see the poverty.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post

You support and applauded her? Why? She has no idea of the wider picture. Go to industrial China and see the extent of the pollution. Go to India and see the poverty.
                    I have and I have, we cant just ignore everything or pretend its not our problem, the planet as a whole has to change it's ways and this lady is playing her part, are you?

John

Comment

I have and I have, we cant just ignore everything or pretend its not our problem, the planet as a whole has to change it's ways and this lady is playing her part, are you?

John
                      I am with you John and yes I have seen the pollution in both India and China.

What do you propose we do Judith ??

Annie
                      Last edited by annie, Glasgow; 28th February 2020, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

I am with you John and yes I have seen the pollution in both India and China.

What do you propose we do ??

Annie
                        How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time, its all we can do, small changes can have a large cumulative impact

Comment

John
                          No.
                          We can't ignore everything and we can't hide our heads in the sand and leave it for oncoming generations. I do believe this young lady believes in what she says. Unfortunately, I don't believe half the people who support her by ''rallying'' do.
                          It's a cause. A cause which is, to a certain extent, ''anti-establishment'' and I think that appeals more to many, than the actual cause.

And yes, I do my darndest to ''help'', probably a lot more than others and probably a lot more than many of the youngsters who purport to support Greta.

Comment

Originally posted by jan lowden, sunderland (2) View Post
                            Not as bad as Harry and Megan preaching about climate change and using private jets would you say?
                            This time it wasn't a private jet

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...onference.html

Annie

Comment

May I suggest the book The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery,

Annie

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X