• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will it really work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it really work?

People in various countries are being told to "self isolate" after being in virus outbreak areas.

Will they really stay away from others in their homes, have food placed outside their isolation" room, do their own laundry and have effective protection measures in place for their family members. Will they stop their family members from leaving the house to go to work or shopping? Will they stick it out for a full 14 days?

I suspect the answer is a resounding "No".

I don't think it will work either.

The logistics of containing the virus within any area has already proven to be unworkable, given how much it has spread already.
    Jill

Comment

No... It's no good 'Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted'

Carol
      sigpic*Carol M*

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR, Chippenham View Post
        People in various countries are being told to "self isolate" after being in virus outbreak areas.

Will they really stay away from others in their homes, have food placed outside their isolation" room, do their own laundry and have effective protection measures in place for their family members. Will they stop their family members from leaving the house to go to work or shopping? Will they stick it out for a full 14 days?

I suspect the answer is a resounding "No".
        Why not??

The original UK 'super spreader' did.it.

I could do it and I wish some on cruise ships would do it instead of coughing and spluttering in the MDR.

Annie

Comment

I don't think it will work either, though I'd like to hear your alternative suggestions for the many thousands that will no doubt be potential carriers over the next few months. I can't honestly think of any other measures we can ask people to take without causing widespread disruption or mass panic.

As an aside, I read yesterday the Royal Caribbean are planning to exclude all Italians from boarding their ships within the next 48 hours, how long will it be before all UK passengers are banned?!
          Last edited by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire; 26th February 2020, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Current practice worldwide is if you let the bug spread you get compulsory lockdown of larger units including whole towns or cities.

Be interesting if they up the screening at Manchester airport for the next lot of Marella far east cruisers returning on Friday.

Comment

Personally, yes, I would self isolate. I did that when I contracted swine flu. I could ask my daughter to get some shopping, and drop it outside for me to pick up.
              2018-
              Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
              NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
              Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
              Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
              Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

The opening post asked if self isolation would work.

My response was that no, I don't think it would. I must add that whilst some have said that they would self isolate (as would I), the spread could only be stemmed if everyone did the same. and even then, it would probably be too late.
                Jill

Comment

And what about the financial side of things? How many people can just take 2 weeks unpaid time off? Not that many in this day and age I think. Jan.

Comment

While people sit in their nothing to worry about it is no worse than the flu bubble thousand will have their life's disrupted.

Schools are closing, people getting sent home, or locked down in hotels abroad.
                    ​​​​​​
                    Not relevant to the UK but caribbean islands are now refusing entry to ships sailing out of Miami because the standard reporting of sickness onboard.

Last edited by Topdeck, London; 26th February 2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSEBASKETS, Yorkshire View Post
                      I don't think it will work either, though I'd like to hear your alternative suggestions for the many thousands that will no doubt be potential carriers over the next few months. I can't honestly think of any other measures we can ask people to take without causing widespread disruption or mass panic.

As an aside, I read yesterday the Royal Caribbean are planning to exclude all Italians from boarding their ships within the next 48 hours, how long will it be before all UK passengers are banned?!
                      The way that things are going the cruise lines, for example, will suffer with cancellations big time without having to stop the Italians boarding who by the way will have travelled to the ship and been in contact with many other people . Or do RCI intend to cancel their cruises before they set off. A cruise ship is one of the worst environments you can be in for spreading a virus as we all know. We are on the Ventura in October and only time will tell if we set foot on the ship. How many of you guys have a cruise booked and what are your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Red Rouster, Lancaster View Post

The way that things are going the cruise lines, for example, will suffer with cancellations big time without having to stop the Italians boarding who by the way will have travelled to the ship and been in contact with many other people . Or do RCI intend to cancel their cruises before they set off. A cruise ship is one of the worst environments you can be in for spreading a virus as we all know. We are on the Ventura in October and only time will tell if we set foot on the ship. How many of you guys have a cruise booked and what are your thoughts.
                        We have cruises booked this year and until told by Cunard the cruise is off [don't think that will happen], we will be perfectly happy to sail.

What do we do? Stop the world? Stop ''living''? Hermetically seal ourselves in a bubble? I am hoping those who have a cough and cold will have the sense to be more aware of their fellow passengers and will use handkerchiefs and the crook of their arms etc to ''contain'' their droplets of whatever, instead of those who sneeze and cough without thought of fellow passengers and decent hygiene.

With any luck, we might even have lurking cough 'n cold Police around, ready to pounce!

We were on a couple of segments of Victoria's worldie a few years ago when to be perfectly honest, the term ''floating petri dish'' was truly, appropriate and I felt so sorry for those who stayed in their cabin to self isolate when many coughers were out there, sharing their bugs with the ship's passengers at large.

Interesting couple of months in store for the cruise industry I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                          While people sit in their nothing to worry about it is no worse than the flu bubble thousand will have their life's disrupted.

Schools are closing, people getting sent home, or locked down in hotels abroad.
                          ​​​​​​
                          Not relevant to the UK but caribbean islands are now refusing entry to ships sailing out of Miami bacause the standard reporting of sickness onboard.

Why is this worse than flu? For most, this virus is less serious than flu. Ok, some are dying, but many thousands die from flu every year and no fuss is made. We are due to go to Japan in October, and unless Celebrity cancel, we'll be going.

Comment

we have a cruise booked for April from Miami visiting Bahamas, Bermuda, South Carolina and Florida. I just hope everything is okay and we’ll be allowed off at each port. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

if needed I would definitely self isolate myself and make sure hubby does the same.

however For lots of people self isolation can also be a financial thing. Eg if hubby and I are away for 2 weeks cruise/holiday and then have to self isolate for a further 2 weeks it would mean he’s not earned any money for 4 weeks as he’s self employed but the bills still have to be paid. Many others may have jobs that won’t pay them when they are off sick or even jobs to go back too.
                            don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
                              we have a cruise booked for April from Miami visiting Bahamas, Bermuda, South Carolina and Florida. I just hope everything is okay and we’ll be allowed off at each port. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

if needed I would definitely self isolate myself and make sure hubby does the same.

however For lots of people self isolation can also be a financial thing. Eg if hubby and I are away for 2 weeks cruise/holiday and then have to self isolate for a further 2 weeks it would mean he’s not earned any money for 4 weeks as he’s self employed but the bills still have to be paid. Many others may have jobs that won’t pay them when they are off sick or even jobs to go back too.
                              Dreadful problems for those self employed with no sickness insurance, on zero hour contracts etc.

I thought of this when I read about the hotel in Caleta, Tenerife.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X