• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phone whinge!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone whinge!

Sorry, my second post since getting back, and it's a whinge.

My monthly phone allowance starts on 23rd of the month. Yesterday I checked the app, and it showed that I had used 251 minutes of my allowance. I hadn't made a single phone call that morning, so it was obviously an error. I had an online chat, and the matter was rectified. This morning I went shopping, sat down with my free Waitrose coffee and got the phone out. My entire data allowance was showing as being used.

I started another online chat when I got home, and was told that the account had a zero use balance. My app was still showing that all data had gone. Because I was getting nowhere with the online chat, I tried going through the FB account.

I've switched off the phone twice. I've sent them screenshots of my account on the app. I've deleted and re-opened the account.

I've never had any problems before, and this is twice in two days. Is it possible that the phone could somehow have been hacked, and someone has been using my phone number without it registering on my account, and also using my data? It's a bit of a worry.

I wonder if the agents look at my date of birth, and think that I'm some dippy old dear!
    2018-
    Queen Victoria - Mediterranean Explorer

2019 -
    NCL Getaway - Norway and Iceland
    Adventure of the Seas - Fall Foliage

2020 -
    Jewel of the Seas - Abu Dhabi & Dubai
    Magellan - Panama Canal

Originally posted by Yogini, Waterlooville View Post
    Sorry, my second post since getting back, and it's a whinge.

My monthly phone allowance starts on 23rd of the month. Yesterday I checked the app, and it showed that I had used 251 minutes of my allowance. I hadn't made a single phone call that morning, so it was obviously an error. I had an online chat, and the matter was rectified. This morning I went shopping, sat down with my free Waitrose coffee and got the phone out. My entire data allowance was showing as being used.

I started another online chat when I got home, and was told that the account had a zero use balance. My app was still showing that all data had gone. Because I was getting nowhere with the online chat, I tried going through the FB account.

I've switched off the phone twice. I've sent them screenshots of my account on the app. I've deleted and re-opened the account.

I've never had any problems before, and this is twice in two days. Is it possible that the phone could somehow have been hacked, and someone has been using my phone number without it registering on my account, and also using my data? It's a bit of a worry.

I wonder if the agents look at my date of birth, and think that I'm some dippy old dear!
    Very odd - I have never seen or heard of that before.

Hopefully TD might offer some insight.

Annie

Comment

Is it a Virgin Media account as we had a major outage yesterday which may have affected it?

Garf

Comment

I'm curious as to why you have an allowance, unless of course your monthly charge is extremely cheap.

I pay EE £5.38 per month for unlimited mobile and landlines, unlimited texts plus 1GB of internet, which is more than I ever need.

Are you paying a lot less than this?...............Wilba
        Wilba

Comment

I don't deal with mobile on Virgin.

the 3 app is never right, I need to go to my3 account to find out what the real situation is with credit and data.

Low user so PAYG using bundles when I predict I will need more data.
          Don't do many calls most are WhatsApp.

The phones data tracking gets close to my real use most of the time but does seem to miss some data usage in games if I forget to turn it off.

My suggestion is check the real account and not go through the app when you think you have a discrepancy.

Comment

I am with Tesco Mobile. The latest I got from an agent was that my account was reset this morning, so I need to wait 24 hours. Actually, it was reset yesterday, after I queried the usage of call minutes.

I planned to go out in the morning, so don't want the hassle of another online chat if the app hasn't reset. It's not exactly the end of the world, but it means that I won't have an internet access if it hasn't reset.

I've always stuck with Tesco because it is cheap, and I get clubcard points.
            2018-

2019 -

2020 -
            Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

Same applies to all providers, the app is probably wrong check the real account details.

Comment

I planned to go out in the morning, so don't want the hassle of another online chat if the app hasn't reset. It's not exactly the end of the world, but it means that I won't have an internet access if it hasn't reset.

Just realised you think if the app says no data you can't use data.

The app should be independent of your real data connection.

All the app does is connect and tell you what it thinks you have on your account.

use the browser on the phone and check the real account.
                https://www.tescomobile.com/my-account

if that says you have data then it should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilba View Post
                  I'm curious as to why you have an allowance, unless of course your monthly charge is extremely cheap.

I pay EE £5.38 per month for unlimited mobile and landlines, unlimited texts plus 1GB of internet, which is more than I ever need.

Are you paying a lot less than this?...............Wilba
                  EE is my provider [used to be Orange] and if I was a serious user, I'd have to switch as it' would be pretty useless for me because I can't get a connection at home. Mind you, my little [very old] PAYG is very rarely switched on so I'll stay, for the time being.

Comment

Is it anything to do with mobile data being On 24 hours a day and some apps open and constantly searching for whatever?

Comment

I have a iPhone 6s using up to date software iOS 13.3.1 pay as you go, handed down from my son approx a year go.

I changed to 02 pay as you go on receipt of phone, calls within UK 3p per minute, texts 2p and data 1p a MB.

Put £10 on phone upon receipt and was given FOC £5 for change of supplier, total £15 to date, yet just checked and I am still £12.72 in credit.

My phone is virtually switched on 24 hours per day, use it daily for posting on this forum, FB, taking and processing photos, and a variety of other apps, mainly via my home wi-fi, with my Mobile Data turned to off. The only time I turn my mobile data on and thus incur a charge is when I am out and want to make a call, send/read texts/ messages which is very rarely, immediately turning Mobile Data off after use. Never use networks in cafe’s etc.

Delboy

Photo Albums

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/delboyalbums/sets/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/delboyalbums/albums

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

Just realised you think if the app says no data you can't use data.

The app should be independent of your real data connection.

All the app does is connect and tell you what it thinks you have on your account.

use the browser on the phone and check the real account.
                        https://www.tescomobile.com/my-account

if that says you have data then it should work.
                        Yes, that was my concern at the beginning. I have been out all day, and did try to use my 4G while I was out, but it was slow in loading.

It is irritating that the app isn't working, because I do keep an eye on it at the end of the month when I am close to my data allowance.

I may try deleting the app again. I'm sure it was something to do with the agent resetting my phone usage, though. I'd say it was too much of a coincidence.
                        2018-

2019 -

2020 -
                        Magellan - Panama Canal

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                        best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you