• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you bought your mask yet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you bought your mask yet?

A neighbour of mine is so concerned that the Corona Virus could become widespread in the UK, he has ordered a pack of 5 masks to protect him and his wife against any possible threat.

He says that he is being prepared for a sudden rush to buy masks, which could create a shortage.

I joke with him about it as from what we hear in the Media, Corona Virus is not such a threat as a Flu epidemic given that most people recover from it.

I can't see myself going out wearing a mask, even though when living in London, I would often see groups of tourists (mostly Japanese) wearing them to protect themselves from pollution.

Are you all set to buy a mask and wear it?
    Jill

Save your money. Masks give no protection to the wearer, but protect others from coughs etc from the wearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post
      Save your money. Masks give no protection to the wearer, but protect others from coughs etc from the wearer.
      I am saving my money and keep washing my hands.

Annie

PS Maybe we should all self-isolate and stay out of pubs

Comment

I haven’t but I got to admit to taking a peak at them when on Amazon for something else.
        Past cruises:
        Carnival Conquest October 2002
        Independence of the Seas October 2012
        Independence of the Seas May 2014
        Explorer of the Seas June 2015
        Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

Even the experts can't agree on masks.

The Emeritus professor of Virology at QMU London says it is not about wearing a mask but advocates less hand shaking, touching and kissing.

Annie

Comment

As soon as the mask becomes damp through breathing it’s worse than no mask.

John

Comment

Why would anyone living in a geographical area with no community cluster want to buy a mask??

I snatched a bit of GMB yesterday morning and the reporting was verging on the irresponsible - JMO. I switched it off.

Annie

Comment

I seem to be using my Fred Olsen issue mask ad a chin support on this trishaw in Myamamar. It was makiing me so hot I had to remove it. They must have been poor quality as myhusba d managed to tear a hole in his before we had even got off the coach. I can't see me wear g one here although it would save having to put make up on! 20200201_100727.jpg

Comment

I though this was a thread about a Masked Ball until I read the first post.

Golly, if I was that worried, I would stay away from humanity. A mask purchased over the counter will be as useful as a scarf.

Comment

Not bought any and not going to.

Comment

According to a report I saw on TV last night, masks are only good for about half an hour, and offer little protection to the wearer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
                        I though this was a thread about a Masked Ball until I read the first post.

Golly, if I was that worried, I would stay away from humanity. A mask purchased over the counter will be as useful as a scarf.
                        I wondered if anyone would wonder about 'the mask'.

I have been reading up on the clinical masks out of interest (I have no intention of buying one). It would appear that they won't be much use should the virus spread.

Jill

Comment

A surgical masks is only effective for the first 15mins so unless you have a continues supply they are no use.
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We are struggling to get supplies. We have sold many, many thousands of masks UK wide - mainly to names of an Asian style.

Bill
                            https://www.dropbox.com/s/okwd9apbxzcvxmq/maid%20of%20the%20loch.jpg?dl=0

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Yesterday while getting a manicure, the technician (of Chinese origin) told me she had ordered six cases of masks on line. Three were to be shipped to relatives in China and the rest to her in Canada. They were shipped from the warehouse, a week ago, but she cannot track the order any further. She called to get information and was told that they were probably stolen in transit. Apparently they are a hot commodity and thieves open the cases and sell the masks individually at inflated prices. She isn't sure whether to believe this or think the supplier is the culprit. I didn't think it appropriate to mention that ordinary masks were next to useless!

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X