• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypocritical Snouts in the Trough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypocritical Snouts in the Trough

I read 30,000 or more delegates from all over the world will attend the COP26 Climate Change summit in Glasgow this year. Unbelievable 30,000 plus.

I wonder how many buckets of "nasties" each and every one travelling by air will produce? How many buckets of "nasties" transporting their food requirements will be produced? How many tonnes of fillet steak, caviar, truffles and foie gras will be consumed?

Meanwhile "back at the ranch" we must turn our heating down, holiday at home, eat lettuce and bean sprouts and other non meat foods etc., etc.

The savers of the world, continually jollying from one conference to the next, certainly know how to live the good life whilst they preach to us mere peasants.

You need to balance this against the economic benefits in Glasgow....Not everyone will be complaining. The hoteliers will be raking it in. Hotel pricing will be sky high and, as you suggest, the poor punters / tourists, not on expenses, will suffer as a result. It will also cost millions to keep all the dignitaries safe.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post
      You need to balance this against the economic benefits in Glasgow....Not everyone will be complaining. The hoteliers will be raking it in. Hotel pricing will be sky high and, as you suggest, the poor punters / tourists, not on expenses, will suffer as a result. It will also cost millions to keep all the dignitaries safe.
      Agreed and temporary jobs created as well. I note that David Cameron turned down his job offer.

I recall sitting next to a lady on a flight, based in Amsterdam, but American whose job included the nomination of cities for these conferences. One of the key factors to her was how much a glass of wine costs in a local pub.

Annie

Comment

The Hengler's Circus, it is then.

They won't all fit it.

Glasgow is a nightmare for variable accommodation costs due to the stadiums and concerts.

Lack of rooms when the big boys are on.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

They won't all fit it.

Glasgow is a nightmare for variable accommodation costs due to the stadiums and concerts.

Many will stay in Edinburgh or other areas and commute - similar to when the Edinburgh festival is on - just in reverse.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Many will stay in Edinburgh or other areas and commute - similar to when the Edinburgh festival is on - just in reverse.

Annie
            Stayed in Edinburgh last week £108 B&B, same hotel during the festival £395 no breakfast. Supply and demand or just Rip off Britain.

Comment

Stayed in Edinburgh last week £108 B&B, same hotel during the festival £395 no breakfast. Supply and demand or just Rip off Britain.
              It is the same the world over - an example when there is trade fair running in Bologna, hotel rates increase by at least 300%.

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Agreed and temporary jobs created as well. I note that David Cameron turned down his job offer.

I recall sitting next to a lady on a flight, based in Amsterdam, but American whose job included the nomination of cities for these conferences. One of the key factors to her was how much a glass of wine costs in a local pub.

Annie
                Well they’ll get more wine for their money if they go to a Witherspoon pub! 😂😂
                don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

They won't all fit it.

Of course they will fit in. We have loads of hotels including the big names like Hilton, we also have mid range like holiday inn’s but we also have many expensive boutique hotels. There are loads of hotels within the city and lots more in outlying areas eg Lanarkshire, Clyde valley etc with less commute than Edinburgh.
                  Last edited by Issyalex, Glasgow; 5th February 2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Hi all
                    According to the Glasgow Convention Bureau there is over 15,000 hotel rooms within walking distance of the city centre.
                    JC
                    C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                    "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

We have loads of hotels including the big names like Hilton, we also have mid range like holiday inn’s but we also have many expensive boutique hotels. There are loads of hotels within the city and lots more in outlying areas eg Lanarkshire, Clyde valley etc with less commute than Edinburgh.
                      I think TD is at the wind up (again) 🤔😊

Comment

I think TD is at the wind up (again) 🤔😊
                        Mike like most people I don’t mind a wind up as it breaks the monotony but don’t diss my city TD! 🙄😕🙂

Comment

Mmmm, not sure if the economic benefits to Glasgow is sufficient reason for the savers of the planet to create so much pollution whilst telling us “Don’t do as I do, do as I say”.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post

Well they’ll get more wine for their money if they go to a Witherspoon pub! 😂😂
                            Love Glasgow much better than Edinburgh.

You miss read the previous post, they won't all fit in the spoons, even all of them.

Having lived and worked in the city centre I have been to all 5 spoons that are left, I see they closed the Camperdown as part of the Queens street redevelopment not a real loss as it was a dump.

I believe that Glasgow has the highest concentration of spoons in any city as all are within a 20 min walk of each other

Did they ever progress the hotel above the Crystal Palace? those 28 rooms would have helped.

Best curry anywhere, one my fav places was just down the road when I lived on Buccleuch St. The Wee Curry Shop, not to be confused with the one on Ashton lane which was also very good.

Great comedy scene as well with plenty of free options along with The Stand well worth the £15py to get cheaper tickets.

Needing accommodation for work it became very difficult to get decent prices when there were concerts on.

When Springsteen did the park in 2013 no sensible priced rooms for 25miles.
                            18July this year another 50k+ concert, many hotel prices already very high.

I see this conference is on in Nov at least that is lower season, good business for the city, hope all these visitors can cope with Glasgow damp.

Hotel prices are a bit crazy already Easy hotel that is <£25 on a good day is over £300
                            I checked a couple of my gotos more guest house type places and they are sold out(might be holding back rooms) or pricey.

Even the £15per bed Euro hostel are wanting £50per bed

Rennie Mackintosh at the station £50inc breakfast they seem to have missed there is something on.

Comment

Love Glasgow much better than Edinburgh.

You miss read the previous post, they won't all fit in the spoons, even all of them.

Having lived and worked in the city centre I have been to all 5 spoons that are left, I see they closed the Camperdown as part of the Queens street redevelopment not a real loss as it was a dump.

I believe that Glasgow has the highest concentration of spoons in any city as all are within a 20 min walk of each other

Did they ever progress the hotel above the Crystal Palace? those 28 rooms would have helped.

Best curry anywhere, one my fav places was just down the road when I lived on Buccleuch St. The Wee Curry Shop, not to be confused with the one on Ashton lane which was also very good.

Great comedy scene as well with plenty of free options along with The Stand well worth the £15py to get cheaper tickets.

Needing accommodation for work it became very difficult to get decent prices when there were concerts on.

When Springsteen did the park in 2013 no sensible priced rooms for 25miles.
                              18July this year another 50k+ concert, many hotel prices already very high.

I see this conference is on in Nov at least that is lower season, good business for the city, hope all these visitors can cope with Glasgow damp.

Hotel prices are a bit crazy already Easy hotel that is <£25 on a good day is over £300
                              I checked a couple of my gotos more guest house type places and they are sold out(might be holding back rooms) or pricey.

Even the £15per bed Euro hostel are wanting £50per bed

Rennie Mackintosh at the station £50inc breakfast they seem to have missed there is something on.
                              Glaswegians are the friendliest folk about despite our dreich weather.

BTW We actually have 10 Wetherspoon pubs in Glasgow, thankfully no hotels, with others on the outskirts of the city so should be enough room for all the delegates to get a cheap glass of wine.

We are well known for having the best curries in the U.K. we also have restaurants serving food from all over the world.

of course hoteliers are going to jump on the bandwagon and hike up their prices when the conference is in the city they are in the business to make money. Every hotelier the world over hike up their prices in the high seasons.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X