• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Singapore to Ban Chinese Visitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Singapore to Ban Chinese Visitors

Hi All

Another Coronavirus development - effective Saturday Singapore to ban Chinese visitors and foreigners with a recent history of visiting China.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/31/coro...t-updates.html

Annie

This is the latest from Royal Caribbean...........January 30, 2020

Royal Caribbean International has added further screening measures due to the coronavirus outbreak.

"After consultation with medical experts and public health authorities, we’ve decided that regardless of nationality, any guest or crewmember traveling from, to, or through mainland China or Hong Kong less than 15 days prior to their sailing will be unable to board any of our ships," the company said, in a letter sent to booked guests.

"We regret to have to do this, but due to the recent increase of coronavirus cases around the world, this precaution will help avoid the spread of this virus. We take this very seriously and have a responsibility to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit."

The company also said it tightened its secondary health screening requirements and the following guests will need to undergo extra screenings to ensure safety at the cruise terminal; guests or crewmembers that have been in contact with individuals that have traveled from, to, or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the last 15 days; Anyone that holds a Chinese or Hong Kong passport – regardless of when they were there last. Anyone that feels unwell or demonstrates flu-like symptom.

"While these measures are conservative, our responsibility is to reduce the spread of coronavirus, in an effort to keep our ships safe and to ensure you are able to enjoy your time with us," the company said.

Comment

Latest from Finnair

31 January 2020

The health and wellbeing of customers and personnel is a top priority for Finnair. Following a thorough analysis of all currently available information on the coronavirus and its impacts on air travel to and from China, Finnair has decided to cancel the flights to/from mainland China as follows:

• Beijing and Shanghai routes between February 6 and February 29, 2020
      • Beijing Daxing, Nanjing and Guangzhou routes between February 6 and March 29

Our Hong Kong flights operate normally.
      We are sorry for the inconvenience this situation may cause you and do our best to minimise the effects to you.

Comment

Given the decisions being made by Governments, whole scale flight cancellations for a month and the lock down of major cities in China I cant help but feel this is rather worse than has been reported, thoughts?

John

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
          Given the decisions being made by Governments, whole scale flight cancellations for a month and the lock down of major cities in China I cant help but feel this is rather worse than has been reported, thoughts?

John
          I think you could be right John. Worrying times ahead.

Comment

John
            Is it because this virus originated in China we have all this panic?? Just asking!

I will have to speak to my Chinese SIL who works for Big Pharma as a research scientist what the scientific community is thinking.

I confess I am not panicking.

Everybody should up their personal hygiene standards - I am sure that would help with the containment of all colds/flus.

Annie

Comment

How are they screening people? How do they know they would have Coronavirus and not just a cold or flu? .................................................. Carol

Comment

15% of cold are coronavirus.

Comment

John
                  I think the crux of the problem is the speed of transmission due to the huge amount of international travel these days. The illness itself is less fatal apparently than the SARS outbreak a few years ago but the infection is transmitted before an individual feels unwell.

If at all possible best to avoid crowds?

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Is it because this virus originated in China we have all this panic?? Just asking!

I will have to speak to my Chinese SIL who works for Big Pharma as a research scientist what the scientific community is thinking.

I confess I am not panicking.

Everybody should up their personal hygiene standards - I am sure that would help with the containment of all colds/flus.

Annie

Completely agree but we’ve all been there Annie.....On every cruise I have been on certain individuals do not wash their hands during a toilet visit nor do they accept the antibacterial gel offered when entering the dining facilities. Is it little wonder germs spread so rapidly on a ship.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Completely agree but we’ve all been there Annie.....On every cruise I have been on certain individuals do not wash their hands during a toilet visit nor do they accept the antibacterial gel offered when entering the dining facilities. Is it little wonder germs spread so rapidly on a ship.
                      Isn't this airborne so allowing folks to turn off the airconditioning would surely help?

Garf

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

Cruisers are very competent at 'own goals'.

Oh yes I have been there. On one of my rare MDR fixed dining visits a 'lady' arrived at the table coughing and spluttering etc. I commented to the effect should she not have room service in her cabin and she was furious. The next evening I did not appear in the MDR but I did return eventually.
                        The rest of the table were all infected and suffered accordingly.

The 'lady' did apologise...… eventually.

Annie

Comment

One problem is that the antibacterial gels are exactly that, most don't work on viruses, people need to wash their hands properly with soap and water for 2 minutes and then don't touch any infected surfaces or articles or even touch around their own mouth and nose, easier said than done in any environment.

Comment

John
                            I agree
                            who builds two new hospitals in a matter of days for no huge reason? There’s been rumours of Chinese government taking social media posts down. I’ve also read reports of the death toll not being acurate as bodies are being cremated before officially being counted. 😱
                            whats happening with your cruise John? Does it fall into the parameters of these cancellations?
                            Past cruises:
                            Carnival Conquest October 2002
                            Independence of the Seas October 2012
                            Independence of the Seas May 2014
                            Explorer of the Seas June 2015
                            Norwegian Escape October 2015

Comment

One problem is that the antibacterial gels are exactly that, most don't work on viruses, people need to wash their hands properly with soap and water for 2 minutes and then don't touch any infected surfaces or articles or even touch around their own mouth and nose, easier said than done in any environment.
                              Your exactly right Haworth. Hand gels are good if you’ve not near hand washing facilities. Hand washing with hot water and soap is the best way to kill germs. I do admit to not using hand gel very often on ship or at work as I prefer to wash my hands.
                              don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X