• Ahoy there! Why not join the UKโ€™s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra holidays for non-smokers ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra holidays for non-smokers ??

Hi All

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-51091430

Annie

Seems reasonable and might encourage more to stop.

Comment

Brilliant, taking regular smoke breaks equates to over 16 days a year - shocking. Itโ€™s only fair that non smokers get something in return.

Comment

What a Great idea.

When my daughter was a chef she was the only non smoker in the kitchen. No one had tea/lunch breaks but all the smokers had smoke breaks. This meant she worked her full shift without a break while the rest of the staff had at least 10mins every hour. Very unfair.
        don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
          What a Great idea.

When my daughter was a chef she was the only non smoker in the kitchen. No one had tea/lunch breaks but all the smokers had smoke breaks. This meant she worked her full shift without a break while the rest of the staff had at least 10mins every hour. Very unfair.
          What is it with this industry ?.......they all seem to smoke. One of my pet hates is seeing chefs and waiting staff standing outside a restaurant smoking. I always look (where I can) to see if they wash their hands before preparing food and serving people - disgusting habit. Both my parents smoked but for some reason (thankfully) I never had the urge.

Comment

It's not how long you are at your desk but how productive you are.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Bill
              Very true.

Btw - how was your cruise??

Annie

Comment

Originally posted by annie, Glasgow View Post

Very true.

Btw - how was your cruise??

Annie
                Fab-u-lous dahling. I'll try and put a few words together. Even BOB was well behaved!

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Bill
                  Often difficult to measure.

Comment

Fab-u-lous dahling. I'll try and put a few words together. Even BOB was well behaved!

Bill
                    Glad you enjoyed it, will be very interested in your views

John

Comment

Bill
                      Welcome home.
                      Looking forward to reading your overview.

Comment

When I worked in a clothing factory many years ago,(Jackson The Tailor) I then foolishly smoked. We were allowed "fag breaks" which loads of us took. However we were all on "piecework" So the more you did the more you were paid.

I always got my quotas out and more, But had to work like a fiend to keep up with my work mates.!! I have been smoke free for 29 years now and would be horrified if I had to go without a break whilst my workmates were puffing away and getting the same pay as me. Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by mike, lanarkshire View Post

What is it with this industry ?.......they all seem to smoke. One of my pet hates is seeing chefs and waiting staff standing outside a restaurant smoking. I always look (where I can) to see if they wash their hands before preparing food and serving people - disgusting habit. Both my parents smoked but for some reason (thankfully) I never had the urge.
                          As well as most being smokers a lot are also heavy drinkers. This is where my daughter learned to drink! ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜‚ I think it may be due to the long hours they have to work and by smoking it gives them several short breaks in an industry that doesnโ€™t give them official legal breaks.

My mammy smoked for 10 years, my ex husband also smoked, my eldest daughter took after him in the smoking dept but thankfully stopped over 15 years ago. My daddy worked in the tobacco industry and received free cigarettes, cigars or tobacco monthly. He used to get the tobacco for my granda as he smoked a pipe. My hubby and I have never had the urge to try it either. I hate the smell.
                          don't want to work, just want to cruise.

Comment

Hi all
                            I smoked,,,,when they stopped smoking in control rooms i used to go outside for a break,,,,,,,and believe me the non-smokers vanished on breaks as well.
                            Reading some of these posts you would be led to believe non-smokers where chained to the job.

If you do not get req breaks,as per the law,,,,,,complain!!!!you are not a slave.
                            JC
                            C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                            "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
                              Hi all
                              I smoked,,,,when they stopped smoking in control rooms i used to go outside for a break,,,,,,,and believe me the non-smokers vanished on breaks as well.
                              Reading some of these posts you would be led to believe non-smokers where chained to the job.

If you do not get req breaks,as per the law,,,,,,complain!!!!you are not a slave.
                              JC
                              For most adults in work the law only requires one 20min break if you work over 6 hours.
                              (The law has get out clauses for that break for some occupations)

For some types of work H&S laws recommend breaks from certain activities but not breaks from working.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X