• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retirement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ilovesunshine, east yorks
    started a topic Retirement

Retirement

I have decided to take early retirement from work. My job has changed so much in the last few years and is quite stressful with a lot of travelling. I do like travel for pleasure but not so much for work nowadays. I was expecting to retire at 60 but with the increase in state pension age I still have more than 2 years to go.

I hope I don't regret my decision. Any tips for a happy retirement. Apart from lots of cruises of course
    Last edited by ilovesunshine, east yorks; 10th June 2019, 01:16 PM.

replied
    Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post

I think volunteering is a good idea, but beware of it taking over. I retired from paid employment eight years ago but continued my volunteering with RDA. Because one is retired people tend to think one is always available and they can take advantage. I came back from holiday to find that I hade been 'volunteered ' for three extra lessons, I decided I did not want to do that so resigned, after 33 years. Now I have private clients who I teach without charge, just for my pleasure.
    The notice in tbe museum said a couple of hours a week but i will bear in mind what you are saying. A friend of mine volunteers one day a week at a stately home and she does stick to just the one day as she is still work i g part time.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post

We are driving to Venice to board Constellation, one of my favourite trips as it combines land and sea.

Lots of fun booking hotels and planning the route and then a 9 day cruise in the middle.Carol
    Sounds a great trip. Enjoy.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Mrs M View Post
    For something else, look in at your local hospice or hospital and see if they need any volunteers. I've been volunteering for nearly twenty years at our local hospice and I find it amazingly worthwhile.
    Sounds a very worthwhile thing to do but I try to avoid hospitals whenever possible. I have a weakened immune system due to the chemotherapy tablets I have to take. The Macmillan nurse doesn't even like me going on cruises in case I catch norovirus but I dont take any notice. Just very vigilant about hand washing etc. So far I have been perfectly ok but I don't want to push my luck.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs M
    replied
    For something else, look in at your local hospice or hospital and see if they need any volunteers. I've been volunteering for nearly twenty years at our local hospice and I find it amazingly worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post

Yes it is a big step to take. It will be good for you to choose whether to work or not. I noticed they were wanting volunteers to work in the shop of a local museum. Something I might consider but want a bit of time to myself first.
    I think volunteering is a good idea, but beware of it taking over. I retired from paid employment eight years ago but continued my volunteering with RDA. Because one is retired people tend to think one is always available and they can take advantage. I came back from holiday to find that I hade been 'volunteered ' for three extra lessons, I decided I did not want to do that so resigned, after 33 years. Now I have private clients who I teach without charge, just for my pleasure.

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Originally posted by ilovesunshine, east yorks View Post

Have a good trip. Where are you planning to go?
    I have just been to grandchildren sports day. I have often had to miss it when I was working so it wad good to be able to go.
    We are driving to Venice to board Constellation, one of my favourite trips as it combines land and sea.

Lots of fun booking hotels and planning the route and then a 9 day cruise in the middle.Carol

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Issyalex, Glasgow View Post
    Wishing you a long, healthy and happy retirement ILS.

I finish work 15th Aug, ie 4 weeks 2 days to work, but I don’t officially retire till 29th Sept. I’m looking forward to it but scared at the same time. I’ve joined our nurses bank so will work 1or 2 days a week or none! Depending on how I feel. 😂
    mind you I just keep thinking if I take unwell and have to be admitted to hospital I could end up in the care of the elderly ward! 🙈🙄😂 😂😂
    Yes it is a big step to take. It will be good for you to choose whether to work or not. I noticed they were wanting volunteers to work in the shop of a local museum. Something I might consider but want a bit of time to myself first.

Leave a comment:

• Issyalex, Glasgow
    replied
    Wishing you a long, healthy and happy retirement ILS.

I finish work 15th Aug, ie 4 weeks 2 days to work, but I don’t officially retire till 29th Sept. I’m looking forward to it but scared at the same time. I’ve joined our nurses bank so will work 1or 2 days a week or none! Depending on how I feel. 😂
    mind you I just keep thinking if I take unwell and have to be admitted to hospital I could end up in the care of the elderly ward! 🙈🙄😂 😂😂

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi Judith
    I was there too!!
    The Alex Murphy final in 1971 versus Leeds,over 85,000 crowd that day.

Btw,the two players in my photo.....
    'Big Jim' Mills (2nd from left)and George Nicholls (2nd from right).

On topic....
    I do think its important to try and keep in touch with old friends,workmates etc when you retire,,loneliness is a big problem in old age.

When i was working we had a team of 'pensioner visitors' made up of volunteers,mostly shop stewards.
    We would try and visit lone works pensioners regularly to make sure they had what they needed,also to give them company.

The company also ran a Social Service fund that could be use if any pensioner got into small financial difficulty,if nobody visited them,nobody would know they had problems.

ps,Did you ever go to the Garrick Club,saw all the bands there,Jerry Lee Lewis,Bill Halley......Edmond Hockridge....Who?

JC
    Yes, and the Beachcomber where we saw The Rockin Berries and The Moody Blues when Denny Lane was still with them.

Alan has recently reconnected with one of his oldest friends. He lives quite near and they both play golf. Need I say more?
    Last edited by Cooke, Ashby; 17th July 2019, 08:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jc, liverpool
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooke, Ashby View Post

I x-rayed him once at Wigan Infirmary. Also went to Wembley to watch Leigh win the Challege Cup. Seems like 100 years ago!
    Hi Judith
    I was there too!!
    The Alex Murphy final in 1971 versus Leeds,over 85,000 crowd that day.

Btw,the two players in my photo.....
    'Big Jim' Mills (2nd from left)and George Nicholls (2nd from right).

On topic....
    I do think its important to try and keep in touch with old friends,workmates etc when you retire,,loneliness is a big problem in old age.

When i was working we had a team of 'pensioner visitors' made up of volunteers,mostly shop stewards.
    We would try and visit lone works pensioners regularly to make sure they had what they needed,also to give them company.

The company also ran a Social Service fund that could be use if any pensioner got into small financial difficulty,if nobody visited them,nobody would know they had problems.

ps,Did you ever go to the Garrick Club,saw all the bands there,Jerry Lee Lewis,Bill Halley......Edmond Hockridge....Who?

JC
    Last edited by jc, liverpool; 17th July 2019, 05:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
    Thank you ILS, one of the reasons we use the Rotterdam route is because of the nicer ship so fingers crossed it will all be ok.

Yoga on the beach sounds great ..Carol
    Have a good trip. Where are you planning to go?
    I have just been to grandchildren sports day. I have often had to miss it when I was working so it wad good to be able to go.

Leave a comment:

• Cooke, Ashby
    replied
    Originally posted by jc, liverpool View Post
    Hi Judith
    No it's not Mick Murphy,a good prop who signed for Leigh,his best years was for Wales and St Helens in the mid 70's.
    He died in March,one of the guys in the photo was a good friend.

JC
    I x-rayed him once at Wigan Infirmary. Also went to Wembley to watch Leigh win the Challege Cup. Seems like 100 years ago!

Leave a comment:

• Guy, Ormskirk
    replied
    Thank you ILS, one of the reasons we use the Rotterdam route is because of the nicer ship so fingers crossed it will all be ok.

Yoga on the beach sounds great ..Carol

Leave a comment:

replied
    My diary is fully g up nicely. Just found out about yoga on the beach in Bridlington every Tuesday during the summer. It's free too

Leave a comment:

We use cookies to give you the
best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
agree to our cookie policy

Working...
X