• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retirement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wilba View Post

Have you considered not retiring and deferring your state pension for say, five years.

You will get a nice lump sum to do with it as you please.
    Think it changed for those who reach retirement age after April 2016 Wilba.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post

Think it changed for those who reach retirement age after April 2016 Wilba.

Bill
      Don't think so Bill.

https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension
      Wilba

Comment

Sorry Wilba, I meant that the benefit to the claimant had reduced.

Cheers, Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

Originally posted by Lawnmowerman, Tain View Post
          Sorry Wilba, I meant that the benefit to the claimant had reduced.

Cheers, Bill
          Yep, I accrued around 7.5% per annum.

This has now dropped to 5.6% pa, but let's face it, a better dividend than the banks and building societies.
          Wilba

Comment

Enjoy your retirement ILS. You only get one shot at this, so go for it. I was planning to work to 66 anyway as it would make 20 years working at the hospital. Besides, I only work half days so it isn’t too strenuous physically or mentally. I enjoy what I do there and I know I am making a difference for some of the patients in clinic. We will be doing some “grandma daycare” in future (all being well), but our daughter knows we won’t do it full time.

Take care, Helen

Comment

Hi Wilba
              If the Grim Reaper comes a knocking beat him off with your vacuum.
              You can tell people you were Dyson with death..

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield, Waterlooville View Post
                Hi Wilba
                If the Grim Reaper comes a knocking beat him off with your vacuum.
                You can tell people you were Dyson with death..
                Have you been drinkin' Garf?
                Wilba

Comment

Originally posted by Mason, Altrincham View Post
                  Enjoy your retirement ILS. You only get one shot at this, so go for it. I was planning to work to 66 anyway as it would make 20 years working at the hospital. Besides, I only work half days so it isn’t too strenuous physically or mentally. I enjoy what I do there and I know I am making a difference for some of the patients in clinic. We will be doing some “grandma daycare” in future (all being well), but our daughter knows we won’t do it full time.

Take care, Helen
                  I would have worked linger but my job has changed so much and I am not enjoying it so decided it was time to go. You are lucky havi g a job you enjoy. I may decide to liok for another job in a while but not sure how day it would be to find something suitable.
                  I have been on grandma duty today. My daughter with the broken leg had lots of baking to do for her business and the little ones don't go to nursery in Wednesdays. We have been out shopping for raincoat. More tiring than work, that's for sure.

Comment

One you lose control of the direction of your jobs and it goes in a direction you don't want, time to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post
                      One you lose control of the direction of your jobs and it goes in a direction you don't want, time to get out.

Yes you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Topdeck, London View Post

How true.

Bill

Lawnmowerman

Comment

The day has finally arrived. It wad my last day at work yesterday. It was a bit of an anticlimax actually. I was due to work at the ferry terminal in Hull but the ship from Zeebrugge not sailed due go technical problems soI nothing to do. I signed the team on then we all went home!

So today is the first day of my retirement. I cycled 12 miles there and back to do some Wild Yoga! It wad in the middle of a field on a farm. The session started with a nice cup of lavender tea then we did a an hour's yoga. It was filmed for our local radio website.

My daughter has already got lined up for babysitting on Saturday evening. A day on the beach with grandchildren to tomorrow and lunch with friends on Thursday.

I have signed up for a learn to crochet course and pottery making. I am looking forward to doing all the things I didn't have time for before. I have bought some fabric for some dressmaking but will save than for when the weather is not so nice.

Comment

Hi ILS, Enjoy your retirement, its absolutely great!!! Learn new things, visit family and travel as much as you can. You will love it. Jen

Comment

I hope you really enjoy your retirement, it sounds a though you are already busy.

Can I just ask, the ferry that didn't sail from Zeebrugge does that happen often? We are sailing Hull to Rotterdam in a couple of weeks with hotels booked in Europe, what happens with the passengers booked on the ferry if it fails to sail? Presumably there is no plan B..Carol

Comment

Hi all
                                Ive been retired for 14 years this NYE,,apart from travel I have never lost contact with old mates.
                                Most mornings in the week we meet in a local coffee shop,it's all reminiscing,,the old Rugby League days,not much politics believe it or not,,of course it's all ailments and who's died,but it's mostly a laugh.
                                The locals walking past call us the 'Last of the Summer Wine'.

image.jpeg

Any old RL fans out there who remembers the 1970's,there are two guys in that picture,one played for GB &Wales,the other captained GB & England.,,,,,one got sent off 20 times in his career!!!!

JC

​​​​​​​
                                C P Scott,,,,,"Comment is Free,,but Facts are Sacred"
                                "You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                                best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                                agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                                X