• Ahoy there! Why not join the UK’s largest cruising forum? The Cruise.co.uk forum is the perfect place to meet and interact with likeminded cruisers to have invaluable conversations. Whether you're a veteran cruiser or looking to set sail on the sea for the first time, everyone is welcome on our forum to participate in the hottest conversations in the cruising world. So, what are you waiting for? Join the forum today by clicking here to register!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retirement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retirement

I have decided to take early retirement from work. My job has changed so much in the last few years and is quite stressful with a lot of travelling. I do like travel for pleasure but not so much for work nowadays. I was expecting to retire at 60 but with the increase in state pension age I still have more than 2 years to go.

I hope I don't regret my decision. Any tips for a happy retirement. Apart from lots of cruises of course
    Last edited by ilovesunshine, east yorks; 10th June 2019, 01:16 PM.

I have retired but am so busy I wonder how I ever found the time to go to work. I still have some small grandchildren so help out there and I have good friends who I enjoy spending time with.

We are currently restoring an historic narrowboat and I am really enthusiastic ...at the moment

I meet up with fellow artists once a week which is very sociable and I love being creative. I usually have some project on the go, be it 'arty' or culinary, I am not very good at sitting still.

My advice would be say 'yes' when asked to do something you never know where it might lead.

The bonus of being at home is you can trawl the internet looking for good deals on cruises and you gain a huge amount of knowledge about the ships. I have explained to cruise consultants the reason why I am requesting a particular cabin because I have spotted something they were unaware of. For example on Aurora the glass fronted balconies are on C deck the rest are the cutout type which the agent was unaware of.

I can see you love travelling and just think how easy it will be to just go at the last minute, lots of bargains!...Carol

Comment

My wife and I retired on the same day, we are only one month apart in age so that helped enormously, it meant that we changed together, we have found that our retirement has evolved from what we thought and had planned for, the main change being that my wife took up golf and has love playing, both the game and the social environment, as a consequence our travel and leisure plans are very different from what we had anticipated.

People we speak to feel the same, don't have fixed plans and stick rigidly to them.

If you are retiring before state pension age, we took part of our pensions as a lump sum, some we used for a couple of planned major trips and we put enough aside to draw down, the equivalent to what we would get as as state pension, after tax, until the time our state pension was paid out.

Otherwise, enjoy, we have never had so much fun!

John

Comment

Originally posted by Guy, Ormskirk View Post
        I have retired but am so busy I wonder how I ever found the time to go to work. I still have some small grandchildren so help out there and I have good friends who I enjoy spending time with.

We are currently restoring an historic narrowboat and I am really enthusiastic ...at the moment

I meet up with fellow artists once a week which is very sociable and I love being creative. I usually have some project on the go, be it 'arty' or culinary, I am not very good at sitting still.

My advice would be say 'yes' when asked to do something you never know where it might lead.

The bonus of being at home is you can trawl the internet looking for good deals on cruises and you gain a huge amount of knowledge about the ships. I have explained to cruise consultants the reason why I am requesting a particular cabin because I have spotted something they were unaware of. For example on Aurora the glass fronted balconies are on C deck the rest are the cutout type which the agent was unaware of.

I can see you love travelling and just think how easy it will be to just go at the last minute, lots of bargains!...Carol
        I too have small grandchildren aged 3 and 4. My daughter has 're gently broken her leg so I am help I g out as much as I can there. Your narrow boat project sounds really exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by Haworth, Wokingham View Post
          My wife and I retired on the same day, we are only one month apart in age so that helped enormously, it meant that we changed together, we have found that our retirement has evolved from what we thought and had planned for, the main change being that my wife took up golf and has love playing, both the game and the social environment, as a consequence our travel and leisure plans are very different from what we had anticipated.

People we speak to feel the same, don't have fixed plans and stick rigidly to them.

If you are retiring before state pension age, we took part of our pensions as a lump sum, some we used for a couple of planned major trips and we put enough aside to draw down, the equivalent to what we would get as as state pension, after tax, until the time our state pension was paid out.

Otherwise, enjoy, we have never had so much fun!

John
          My husband took early retirement a few years ago. He plays golf 3 times a week and does keep himself busy. We go dancing twice a week it will be good to be able to go in the afternoons too. I mentioned to someone at 5he danci g that I was retiring and she has I voted me to join the bowls club. She wanted me to go to play bridge too but I think not. We had some lessons in a cruise. It 2as far too serious for me. Snap would be better or maybe rummy at a push.

Comment

Having spent the last 30 years of work time as self employed, I benefited from being able to holiday and cruise whenever I liked. I continued to work until I was 70, deferred my pension for five years, a very beneficial financial move, and only stopped work due to a serious health scare situation, so I suspect I am going to differ to many of the current comments as I miss work more than I thought I would.

I guess much of this comes from the fact that I have always worked crazy hours, 10-12 hour days being the norm, longer in my younger years, and seven days a week for most of my self employed years. When that suddenly stops, it is a big jolt.

Given the choice, I would still be working now, although I do get the odd phone call to help out with holiday/sickness cover for a company I used to sub contract to. I don’t need asking twice.

My advice is to have some kind of outlook, hobby or time occupation, other than sitting at a laptop looking for holiday deals…………..Wilba

Wilba

Comment

I retired at 58, which was 2 years before I was due for my state pension. OH was already retired and as my job had also changed, it twas a no brainer for me to do so too.

2 years later we did our first cruise and until we moved away from London, we were packing in 4 or 5 cruises a year and loved every one of them. Now that we are struggling to find new itineraries, we have taken to 5 day coach trips in the UK and I have booked a couple of cruises with a friend.

We both have an active social life, sing in the same choir and I see my family as often as I can. As a keen theatre goer, I thought I might miss London; however we have 2 theatres in Portsmouth and 1 in Southampton. I have been to many shows during the last 3 years and the tickets are much cheaper!

Life is sweet when each day is your own to enjoy, without work getting in the way, so enjoy your retirement whilst you can.
              Jill

Comment

Originally posted by Smith7 View Post
                I retired at 58, which was 2 years before I was due for my state pension. OH was already retired and as my job had also changed, it twas a no brainer for me to do so too.

2 years later we did our first cruise and until we moved away from London, we were packing in 4 or 5 cruises a year and loved every one of them. Now that we are struggling to find new itineraries, we have taken to 5 day coach trips in the UK and I have booked a couple of cruises with a friend.

We both have an active social life, sing in the same choir and I see my family as often as I can. As a keen theatre goer, I thought I might miss London; however we have 2 theatres in Portsmouth and 1 in Southampton. I have been to many shows during the last 3 years and the tickets are much cheaper!

Life is sweet when each day is your own to enjoy, without work getting in the way, so enjoy your retirement whilst you can.
                Excellent point about local theatre, we are members of 2 local arts centres and the range of work they put on is fantastic, never went when we were working!

John

Comment

I did join a local amateur operatics a few years ago but was at a disadvantage as I can't sing. The friend who I joined with sang in a band. She told me just to keep way from the overhead mics and mine the night notes. I did like all the dressing up and the dancing. It was just the so go g that ket me down. The show we performed in wad Mac and Mabel.

Comment

I, too, took early retirement and have found it very fulfilling. My advice to you is to take a breather for a few weeks to enjoy the rest from the daily routine (or grind if you hated work!). When that time is over you will have formulated in your mind how to fill your day though it if is anything like mine it will be overfilled!! I do not know how I worked full time and fitted in everything else I had to do. I had this idea that I would be living in a freshly decorated house with everything ship shape - I rarely have time to decorate and often find the housework getting behind. Do I care? Not a jot! As long as you have finances in place to allow it and health to enjoy it - keep on cruising! That's my motto.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser, Larne View Post
                      I, too, took early retirement and have found it very fulfilling. My advice to you is to take a breather for a few weeks to enjoy the rest from the daily routine (or grind if you hated work!). When that time is over you will have formulated in your mind how to fill your day though it if is anything like mine it will be overfilled!! I do not know how I worked full time and fitted in everything else I had to do. I had this idea that I would be living in a freshly decorated house with everything ship shape - I rarely have time to decorate and often find the housework getting behind. Do I care? Not a jot! As long as you have finances in place to allow it and health to enjoy it - keep on cruising! That's my motto.
                      Thank you. Good advice. My husband smdoes all the housework and gardening at present. I expect be will be wanting me to join in when I retire. I hate housework. I do like to have a nice clean house but it is such a waste of time. He is cutting the grass and I am relaxing with the Sunday paper. I don't feel guilty as I am at work later but I can see Thu gs will soon be changing

Comment

Sorry to briefly hijack then topic, but my question as how would I afford to retire early? (or retire at all?)

I've paid a works pension all of my life, but I understand that they are not so impressive these days.

Even if you are mortgage/rent free, food, community charge and energy would still be major bills.

I have some savings, but not enough to regularly cruise the world without a job!

I assume the state pension will not pay for any luxuries?

What is the secret please?
                        See my cruise blog: HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post
                          Sorry to briefly hijack then topic, but my question as how would I afford to retire early? (or retire at all?)

I've paid a works pension all of my life, but I understand that they are not so impressive these days.

Even if you are mortgage/rent free, food, community charge and energy would still be major bills.

I have some savings, but not enough to regularly cruise the world without a job!

Well, OH has been self employed and paid into a private pension, which we decided to cash in and get the kids on the property ladder, so, our plan is when the time is right, sell our house, downsize and live of that. If that fails, we've told the kids they'll have to house us in their garden sheds

We are lucky in that we both do school runs with children with special needs, which is pretty stress free, and we can have time off when we need to.........................................Carol

Comment

I took voluntary redundancy at 60. I did not like the way education was heading. The only thing wrong with retirement is the pay, but yours might be better than mine is. I would caution about taking on too much, especially in the voluntary sector, most organisations are happy to take up all your time if you let them. Many of my friends refuse holidays and outings because "we have to look after the grandchildren". I think that's a shame. When the grandchildren are grown up the grandparents might not have the health to do the things they should have done. Basically I think you need to put yourself first some of the time. If this makes me sound selfish I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm, Essex View Post

You are welcome to hijack the topic. All retirement related. I weighed up my options regarding leaving work and was on the point of going earlier this year when as luck would have it, I was nformed that voluntary redundancy was on offer. Only last year I was told this was very unlikely to happen so I was surprised
                              I applied for it and was accepted. I am now half way through working my 3 months notice. I am intending to use what I get to live on until I get my works pension when I am 65. I will take part of it as a lump sum which will last until I get my state pension the following year. I also have a small private pension to take. My husband has a private pension as well ash is state pension so we shouldn't notice much of a change in our lifestyle financially when I stop working. I am just annoyed that I was expecting to get my state pension at 60 then they increased it to 66 without fair notice.

Comment

We use cookies to give you the
                              best experience possible.

By continuing to use our website you
                              agree to our cookie policy

Working...
                              X